Author Topic: Falsebay fishing spots - Covid lockdown  (Read 6124 times)

Offline 2bar.boost

• Cred: 6
Falsebay fishing spots - Covid lockdown
« on: March 24, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
Morning Gents

Where can I fish where the cops wont see me or too lazy to walk the distance.

Already in mind is Macs, tweede baai, Hangklip, Cape Point. any other ideas?

Offline Chancer

• Cred: 0
Re: Falsebay fishing spots - Covid lockdown
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:58:28 AM »
Why do you intentionally want to go against regulations?

Offline RiyadhEd

• Cred: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:04:04 AM »
How are you gonna get to these spots with military and police all over the place?
I am sure there will be checkpoints.

Offline maganything

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 68
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 01:15:04 PM »
Morning Gents

Where can I fish where the cops wont see me or too lazy to walk the distance.

Already in mind is Macs, tweede baai, Hangklip, Cape Point. any other ideas?

Surely not?? Obey the rules the government has set out! They have done it for a reason!

Offline emjay

• Cred: 18
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 06:25:41 AM »
Don't do it. It's not worth the fine or prison time you'll get. You also have a social responsibility to stay at home, for the sake of other people. This lockdown isn't a holiday. Stay at home, service your reels, make up traces.
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline hrogers

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 21
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 01:51:46 PM »
Rather safe than sorry !!
I'm also in a bad situation - Originally I would have go to Hong Kong & Bali so the corona virus outbreak was a problem so I postpone the dates till it's safe
So I decided booked a place at Port St Jhons and it's already paid in full now it's a lockdown here in SA So I had to postpone my dates till the open days
Hope not they are going to extend the dates otherwise all y fishing plans will be gone...
Even my trip to Hong Kong & Bali is paid in full - Maybe in August if it safer otherwise I had to cancel
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:52:21 PM by hrogers »

Offline RiyadhEd

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 12:27:47 PM »
Got some reports of people fishing off the shore in false bay area. How?

Offline John F

• Cred: 520
  • Virtus et Honos
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 01:21:40 PM »
Got some reports of people fishing off the shore in false bay area. How?

Darwin Awards season?!?

No matter how much facts & science (or legal repercussions), some people simply can't absorb, process & digest knowledge and turn it into wisdom.

This virus will not be beat by the rich or strong, but by those who are/act smart.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:22:13 PM by John F »
UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 30
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 02:38:50 PM »
We cant suggest people go break the law on a forum as that then brings liability to forum..But just for arguments sake, what wisdom does this ignore? How different is it from going to the shops for meat or standing queuesor crowding in taxis for grant payouts, except being far safer? The virus will live on plastic or stainless steel for days but no virus live long next to the sea exposed to the salt and sea air and the UV. How much scientific wisdom does being locked in a room with ten others with only one outside toilet and a tap shared between thousands of residents entail?

On the otherhand if everyone is allowed to congregrate on the beach it is a whole other mess-up as happened in Russia where a week holiday was declared and everyone flocked to congregate everywhere.. The point more is physical distancing and having a strong immune system and coming up with a working treatment as soon as possible, most of us are going to be infected before this does down..and also it seems transfusing the blood serum from recovered patients works which is logical as well as tracking the viruses spread through sampling of the sewerage system, neither of which we are doing, rather than going big brother on everyone which has happened.

https://www.news24.com/Video/SouthAfrica/News/watch-no-social-distancing-in-long-queue-outside-busy-khayelitsha-shopping-centre-20200403

That is more the reality of not bothering to deal with the practical implications of the majority in the country living hand to mouth and in cramped squalor, and locking everyone down. I don't disagree with the lockdown but trust things are not being thought through and there are many ways to skin the cat.

The practicalities, the point of, and legality of a lockdown has sorta been missed in the implementation. Been a bit too much of skop skiet and donder and not enough logic applied. The rest of the world is releasing non-violent and health affected or those who are at high risk of infection or health complications from prison..In this place they are trying to fill the prisons with lockdown offenders as much as they can. Taiwan is the country closest to the epicentre and the one that has come off the most unscathed, and they have not locked the country and economy down..but they were quick to react, used logical lockdown of borders, quarantining and testing to avoid trouble. The government stepped into prevent hoarding of masks and allocated everyone masks according to their ID number at pharmacies. Cases are separated, mild to bad, isolated and anyone entering the country is quarantined. They still have less than a quarter of our infections, and they have tested a much higher proportions. There are probably many times more infection than what is known and that will grow as it spreads, as testing is in short supply and only those with symptoms being tested, and the virus can be infectious and one can be symptom free for nearly 2 weeks before showing symptoms so I think that maybe we are in for trouble..who knows how far it has spread already, test results are only showing a picture of infection 10days to 2 weeks back. Only testing at sewer works can get ahead of where it is and map the picture more real time.

Ciggies banned and 87000 cases of domestic violence reported since lockdown began. Sometimes we are our worst enemies more than a virus is.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:06:43 PM by Visenvryheid »

Offline John F

• Cred: 520
  • Virtus et Honos
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 03:53:31 PM »
The way I see it, it is simply a case of monkey see, monkey do.

Sure you can't catch the virus if you are alone on the beach or 40 nm offshore. But what about the guy that wants to do some kite surfing? or surfing? or simply walk on the beach, or get a sun tan, or watch the sunset... or?? Every single person will have a good personal justification to be out there...

That's why people should stay home and only leave if they need to go get food, medicine or if one is an essential worker.

Also, everybody should wear a mask or some sort of face protection (the evidence is overwhelming). Even DIY masks are better than nothing.
Will this work in Africa, where the majority of people need to be out there on a daily basis to make a living?!?!? Probably not. But that's a completely different issue.   
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:50:05 PM by John F »
UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 57
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 06:48:52 PM »
Be part of the solution - not part of the problem. Simple really.
>('>
                   )<((>
     }<(({>

Offline RiyadhEd

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 07:25:16 PM »
Well, all around the world, incl locally surfers have been locked up for disobeying the lock down law. I for one, refuse to venture any where during this time.
I do however seem to recall that commercial fisherman are allowed out. However I am not aware of commercial fisherman standing one the beach fishing.

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 30
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 08:20:14 PM »
Of course in a 1st world democratic country, where the majority have some sort of education, they can implement laws like this WRT beaches, surfing etc..

"Enforcement

Places such as holiday parks, camp sites, parks, nature conservation areas and beaches will be closed if the relevant hygiene measures are not complied with sufficiently, if people are not keeping a good distance from others (1.5 metres) or if there is a risk of either of these situations occurring.
    There is a ban on gathering in groups in public, regardless of whether or not this is intentional. The government is defining a group as three or more people together who are not keeping at least 1.5 metres away from one another. This rule does not apply to people who are part of the same household. "

But 1st world and education are relative, in the states in the middle of a pandemic it was miami packed spring break beaches as per usual..not too wise!! In UK where a local police dept. went and followed and bust people walking their dogs and taking in a stroll and sunset in an open wild space and named and shamed them on their twitter feed, the national police chief had to go on national TV and apologize for the "heavy handed approach". LOL First world problems!

Offline sparky

• Cred: 9
  • Vas Pappa
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 10:07:37 PM »
 :zipit:
We ask a simple question and that is all we wish: Are fishermen all liars? Or do only liars fish?

You won't catch every fish you try for, but don't let that discourage you, because the best fisherman who ever lived can't do it either.

Offline mongie

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 08:36:32 PM »
Stay at home.

Offline 2bar.boost

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 09:12:24 AM »
It doesn't seem like we will be fishing soon even if they relax the restrictions.

"Sectors with a high risk of transmission should not be allowed to resume activity until this risk is reduced, regardless of the potential impact on their sector or their value to the economy," it said.Based on its evaluations, the document shows that there is higher risk of transmission in the aviation industry, recreational, cultural and sporting activities and hotels and restaurants.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:12:47 AM by 2bar.boost »

Offline 2bar.boost

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 11:00:34 AM »

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 137
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 07:51:08 AM »
I think the recreation they refer to is more like recreational gatherings such as hiking in a group. Surely I stand less of a risk going recreational fishing on my own than going go the shops.

There are a lot of grey areas that need to be adressed. For example:
"Food retail stores already already permitted to be open may sell full line of products within existing stock."
No Spar sells wine as part of their line of products but the sal of alchohol is only permitted at level 3.  :dunno:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:52:57 AM by SAfish »

Offline Chancer

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »
The President stated that bars and shebeens will remain closed.Just imagine the upheaval if Spar can sell alcohol and the shebeens cannot.

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 137
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 09:06:14 AM »
Yes, it will be chaos. All they need to do to close the loophole is to add the words "except wine". The whole country is balanced on a knife's edge and they need to do everything possible to have clear rules and regulations. We certainly don't need protests and riots breaking out over something that could have been easily avoided.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal