Author Topic: I need some help on a live mullet swim/throw bait trace  (Read 363 times)

Offline PRENO

• Cred: 3
I need some help on a live mullet swim/throw bait trace
« on: December 02, 2019, 04:29:15 PM »
Good day guys

On Saturday night I will be going with my dad to Scottburgh to do some fishing.
I want to "throw" a live mullet for out behind a rock ledge that is about +- 50 meters out from shore.
There is a lot of Rock cod, Kob , Cave Bass, Shad, Stumpnose and other fish around this area so I want to try a live mullet here.

I want to use a live bait throw rig as I do not think a slide trace will work here due to the rocks.
So I need some advice on the below if I am wrong please correct me as I am new to this

This is what I am going to use/ want to use

0.55 mm Kingfisher Giant Abrasion line only, no braid due to the rocks
1.00 mm Leader Line (Due to the rocks)
I want to use Circle hooks, not sure what size to use and brand
Hook line- What Diameter and length (please note I don't want to use steel wire as the fish in that area are fussy)
Sinker (what weight sinker and type of sinker)
Sinker Line- Diameter of the line and length
The trace should it be a running trace or a normal 3 way trace.
And should I use the two hook method, one under the skin and the other with a cable tie through the eye socket or just one through the eye socket?

I will be using all different sizes of mullet

If you can assist please do, this is going to be my first try and will learn from the experience.

Thank you

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:30:04 PM by PRENO »

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 26
Re: I need some help on a live mullet swim/throw bait trace
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »
Running sinker trace..I'd stitch the mullet with the hook, from tail to head..? Or hook him in the upper lip and nostril normal style and lob him..I had never had a problem with hooking up or my mullet getting chowed with the plain old normal setup, I dont see the reason for fishermen up and down the coast littering the beaches with tag ends of cable ties they just chopped off and left it lying where it fell?! I see it even on bait demos on youtube by the pros?!
Ja nee only issue with standard hook in upper lip and out nose is you can throw them off if a further cast is needed, then a stitched mullet works well or a bait needle, but you must have one handy and is more of a mission. Otherwise ja your setup sounds right.. Even 0.80 - 1mm leader I'd use but I am no pro, and 1mm hookline. Interested as to what to what others say... Trace for shad be different for cob etc? They will leave you with half a mullet..two hook trace might work for both? treble at back (front) and single at tail or back supporting the casting weight.
I am not the most experienced with lobbing a livie, but I have done it a span of times, not to much to it, hook him, lob out and wait for him to get chowed! LOL I've been humbled a few times, last week I hooked something unstoppable after a 20m lob in the river..enjoy ;)
Hope others assist with tips and let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:22:26 PM by Visenvryheid »

Offline PRENO

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
Hey Visenvryheid

You always help me :tkx:

I am also thinking of going the standard stitched mullet or the the upper lip way, I wont be casting far, just enough for it to go over a reef, I have my cast net and got my cast net license as well, so first I have to try and get some mullet, never used a net before so I will practice first.

I will be going around 21:00 pm to 3:00 am, low tide is about 19:17 pm and high tide is about 1:17 am, so hopefully with the rising tide some predator fish comes along, also I am hoping for good weather

I will try and see if i can post a pic of where I am going to fish

Offline PRENO

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »
pic one

Offline PRENO

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 03:02:02 PM »
pic 2 of my target area

Offline PRENO

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »
pic 3 is another area, but this will be hard to get the distance from shore.

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 26
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 11:19:28 PM »
I slid a livie off the rocks a month or so back one night and got taken by a mase ragbag that was on the hook for half an hour at least..was on my own and already dreading having to land the fish so was stoked when it bit the leader knot eventually..at the local tackle store the oom laughs at me and says sliding a livie off the rocks at night, what did I expect?!
;)
Ja but expect to pick up sharks..even on the beach all I seem to pick up is sharks and rays these days, maybe I fish should league! haha still good fun though. In tsitsikamma on lobbed mullet I have hooked gulley sharks that pulled as hard as the biggest tuna I have hooked..One knitted me up so bad in the reef..haha I am not the first victim at that spot..
Dont know the spots but pic 3 looks very interesting..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:23:08 PM by Visenvryheid »

Offline PRENO

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 09:15:03 AM »
These spots are on the mid KZN South Coast.

Pic one and two, there are Kob, Rock Cod, Shad/Elf, Moray Eels, Some Eel Tail catfish, Bronze Bream, Black tails, Stumpnose ( So its good for scratching with light tackle also )
Pic 3 I have always seen people catching Shad/Elf only, possible they are only trying for that..If i happen to guess that sandbank is about + 150 m from shore, which is too far for me to trow a livie.

But will update on Monday on how it goes, Will also be carrying my spinning setup and will be testing it out in the early morning.

Offline Bamboes-Vis

• Cred: 2
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 07:05:54 AM »
Just something to consider, casting a livey with a thick leader and thick main line.......even 50m become a stretch.

As Visenvryheid said, I have also paid the price casting a livey without steel.
And like he said....what was I thinking casting a livey at night.
you can still catch a kob on steel, but good luck catching a shark on mono

(well that being said...unless your fishing in a competition and you catch a 13kg spotted gully shark..........
and in the last hour of the comp a guy catch a 20kg raggie right in the corner of the mouth on a mono trace
so it does happen and I'm still bitter about that one [size=78%])[/size]

I would however not use a running trace in the bricks, so the fish can break the sinker off if getting stuck (just personal preference)
I prefer to use a cable tie through the top of the eye socket, in my experience it does the least damage to the livey.
its quick to rig up and you seldom cast your livey off.
(I agree, please pick up your cable ties after you snipped them off.)

Offline PRENO

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 07:47:00 AM »
Good morning

Thank you.

Bamboes-Vis- I am sure you must be missed out a good prize

Weather is a bit hectic at the moment , so I will only know when I arrive on the beach on Saturday which type of trace I will be using or whether to slide..if its raining to heavy and there is a heavy under current, I will not fish but praying it doesn't..

Offline pintocoelho

• Cred: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 08:56:19 PM »
In my opinion the best way to rig a throw livey is with a dyneema bridle or cable tie through the top of the eye socket. It works best with circle hooks. You can give it a full throw without breaking the nose bridge of the mullet and the livey stays alive the longest as you donít penetrate the skin.

With dyneema, made a loop and push the dyneema through the top of the eye socket with the end of a grapnel sinker wire, then hook the circle hook through one side of the loop, twist twice and then through the other side of the loop - repeat a few times until itís approximately 5mm away from the nose

With cable tie, push the cable tie through the top of the eye socket. Attached swivel through the cable tie. On the other end of the swivel put heat shrink on eye of the swivel and hook circle hook through. This holds it in place and also allows hook to swivel without tangling.

Depending on the size of mullet you net you should decide on hook size. 4/O to 7/O should be the range.

Good luck and let us know how you do 👍🏼

Offline PRENO

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 10:17:54 AM »
Good morning

I will be going with the cable tie method through the eye socket, seems a lot easier for me.
Don't worry guys I always carry a packet to throw the dirt and will be sure not to mess the beach.
Hope I do get some mullet, if not I will try and get a strepie or Shad
and still hoping for good weather.

Thank guys will update either on Sunday or Monday

Offline MichaelK

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 50
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 12:17:13 PM »
Why cast your live baits, would'nt sliding them out be a better option for longevity of your live bait??

Offline PRENO

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 12:57:29 PM »
Why cast your live baits, would'nt sliding them out be a better option for longevity of your live bait??

Going to be fishing at night with minimum lighting, with no high point to stand and slide, therefore will get snagged on the ledges.
And personal preference,