Author Topic: How to find the monster barbel in a dam, and catch them  (Read 330 times)

Offline kwade01

• Cred: 0
How to find the monster barbel in a dam, and catch them
« on: November 07, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »
Hi, I need some advice, I'm going to boskop dam for the night and I'm pretty keen on catching a 10+ kg barbel, but how? I've had a lot of success lately with barbel, but nothing above 5kg, can anyone advise me on where to find the bigger fish and how to catch them or tell me how the bigger ones behave so I can get a idea of what I can do?
Thanks

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 51
Re: How to find the monster barbel in a dam, and catch them
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 12:35:57 PM »
 :welc:
I am no expert, but I have found that the bigger the bait the better the chance of a big barbel.
>('>
                   )<((>
     }<(({>

Offline kwade01

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 04:44:30 PM »
I've tried that though, and I ended up not getting any bite... so I know I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what it is?

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 136
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:21:54 PM »
The one and only time I caught a barbel it was a monster and I got it on a freshly shot finch. I squashed it a bit to get the scent in the warer and hooked it whole with feathers and all.

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 222
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 06:56:52 AM »
I'm definitely no barbel expert but remember the population structure. You will have plenty of small fish, a couple of medium fish and a very small population of lunkers.

When fishing you can either put out smaller baits and be kept busy with small fish. A lunker may still pick up your bait but its less likely. Alternatively you can fish with a big bait and understand you reduce your overall catch rate but increase the likliehood of nailing that PB

Offline Rockslide

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 08:18:32 AM »

Like this :nobs:
Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Offline stephenrplumb

• Cred: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:23:59 AM »
I am definitely no expert, but we have always had success using biltong as bait. My son caught one that was about the size of him at the time after a very long fight on the vaal river, with a pretty small hook at a small piece of biltong.

We have never lacked success using biltong as bait, although I am no fan of barbel as they are way too slimey.

Offline mehmood

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 10:10:30 AM »
Re: my son & his friends always fish for barbel. To get the big one you need good distance preferably 120 to 150m. try using a bait boat or a canoe. Best bait to use is a muddy head with 2 hooks. Mianzi"s and a place called Rooiwalla (owned by Erasmus) has large barbels. I caught a 12kg and my son 17kg at Rooiwalla. Sometimes your bait have to sit for long, preferably from evening till night, but the fight is worth it. 
hope that helps.

Offline Reebok02

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 11:16:06 AM »
To target bigger barbel.get a proper hook 8'o - 10'o hook works well. Circle hooks works the best here
Make your hook link about 50cm long out of 50 or 60lb leader line.Take a carp/grass carp head of +- 1 kg or half a carp of +- 500g step on it a bit to get the most flavor out.I use a 4oz sliding sinker.Drop your line deep 150m - 250m especially during the day at night you can move them a bit closer but I like to fish deep 90% of the time
If you find a feature like a nice drop off I will fish the bottom of the drop off.
Then its a waiting game I have found they are most active in the summer months between 12 and 3 in the morning.

Offline Kes

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »
Hi, I need some advice, I'm going to boskop dam for the night and I'm pretty keen on catching a 10+ kg barbel, but how? I've had a lot of success lately with barbel, but nothing above 5kg, can anyone advise me on where to find the bigger fish and how to catch them or tell me how the bigger ones behave so I can get a idea of what I can do?
Thanks

You will need a saltwater hook of about say 6/0 minimum. Use the Kendal round size to compare if you are using other brands. Circle hooks are the business but not necessary at all.

You bait is going to be platanna frogs or African clawed frogs as they are scientifically known. You will need them fresh and alive and if you are far away from civilisation, take more than a few. There is a faction that believes that fishing with platanna's is unethical but if you want to target big fish and be guranteed a catch, then this is your bait.

A fixed saltwater trace or a sliding sinker trace will work. Hook snoot of 50-60cm if you are using the saltwater fixed trace then sinker line of around the same length or even longer. A 120g or 4oz sinker should be sufficient but carry a few heavier ones just in case.

You tackle should comprise of at least 20-25lb line on a fixed spool or multiplier reel and a nice shock leader of about 40-50lb. You rod should be at least 12ft but a little longer would help you to get the bait further out into the deeper water if necessary and depending on the body of water you are fishing in and the relevant formation in that body. The deeper water could be closer in, in some cases.

Pin the frog on the hook through its rear, cast out and wait. If there are barbel in the water, the big ones will find your bait. Try and cast in the same spot cos you might hook smaller ones first but then the big ones move in as they pick up the scent of you bait. Once you hook into a big one (double figure), every throw therefater will yield that as a minimum size or bigger but nothing smaller.

With regards to the other baits proposed but the other guys here, they do work however they just don't when a platanna is in the water. I speak from first hand experience.

Good luck bud.. :)

Offline Buffel

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 08:35:00 PM »
Best bait for big barbel is a live muddy or carp of about 1kg, use hooks from 6/0 to 8/0. Distance is not a big deal as barbel feed close to the side of a river or dam. Once your bait is picked up give the barbel time to de-scale and swallow the bait. They normally run a couple of meters and then stop if the reel runs for the second time you can strike. My best at Erfenis dam is 15,8kg and Bloemhof 21kg both on live carp.

Offline Nooduck

• Cred: 9
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »
I do believe that the best bait will depend on the venue.
I have had great success with the head of a Carp at Bloemhof (few over 20kg) but only small Barbel with Platanna.

At Harties a platanna was king.....
PS- Is the Platanna not endangered and we are not allowed to use it anymore?

Offline Kes

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 07:28:26 AM »

Best bait for big barbel is a live muddy or carp of about 1kg, use hooks from 6/0 to 8/0. Distance is not a big deal as barbel feed close to the side of a river or dam. Once your bait is picked up give the barbel time to de-scale and swallow the bait. They normally run a couple of meters and then stop if the reel runs for the second time you can strike. My best at Erfenis dam is 15,8kg and Bloemhof 21kg both on live carp.

"De-scaling" is a big old myth. If you have ever seen a barbel or any predatory fish feed, there is no such thing as "de-scaling".

But just a thought, if a barbel does de-scale its fish prey, do they also "de-feather" the birds that they eat?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:31:36 AM by Kes »

Offline Kes

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 07:30:53 AM »

I do believe that the best bait will depend on the venue.
I have had great success with the head of a Carp at Bloemhof (few over 20kg) but only small Barbel with Platanna.

At Harties a platanna was king.....
PS- Is the Platanna not endangered and we are not allowed to use it anymore?

Not sure bud. I heard some stories about platanna being endangered but there is no evidence. And then like I said in my other post, some people believe its unethical to use them as bait. I don't know where they get that nonsense from cos that the barbel's natural food..

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal