Author Topic: Shore Fishing Mozambique  (Read 350 times)

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 222
Shore Fishing Mozambique
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:05:35 AM »
My "little" sister will be turning 21 next year and rather than have 21st party she would like to do a family holiday to Mozambique in August.

Currently looking at either Xai-Xai or Inhambane.

So which of these destinations would be a) better for a family holiday b) better for shore fishing?

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 37
Re: Shore Fishing Mozambique
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 10:10:00 AM »
For a really quiet "do nothing" relax, head up a bit past inhambane to Morrungulo. It's about 80km past Maxixe. Have not been there in a while, but love the place.
Unfortunately shore fishing is not great, and from what I have heard, not great anywhere. Too many Chinese trawlers cleaning everything out.

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 37
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 10:11:43 AM »
It is however quite a long ride. Xai-Xai would be a much easier trip.

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 51
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
Check out Bilene as an option too. Accommodation is on the lagoon, but there are some shore fishing options if you cross to the beach. The locals will ferry you across for a small fee.
I prefer it to Xai Xai and Inhambane as it is a little quieter and if you are failing to catch, the local market has reasonably priced, fish, crab and prawn daily. It has been a few years since I was last there, but it had a far more authentic Moz' feel compared to Xai Xai and Inhambane. It is also closer than the others.
If your sister is looking for something a bit more social/nightlife orientated then Tofu / Barra is your best choice, but not much happens from the shore that I am aware of.
There is a great self catering spot in Bilene that is not on the tourist map, shout if you need more info.
>('>
                   )<((>
     }<(({>

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 12:41:02 PM »
My next shore fishing trip is Santa Maria. I had an awesome week at Machangulo Lodge and the guys I was with managed some epic fish off the point and in the "washing machine" in the Gate. The Lodge itself was lovely but there are quite a few options on Santa Maria. I was limited to light fishing because of a shoulder injury but still came away with a few decent bonefish and assorted others. We also went out with the Lodge's boat a few times and got the usual reef fish. It's a fine place to fish and an excellent place to relax.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 222
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 01:55:42 PM »
Thanks for all your comments guys. I agree that from the internet pics Xai Xai and Inhambane seems very similar to the KZN coast especially considering that family were looking at renting a house in an eco estate.

***Note that this comment is based on my vast experience of having never set foot in Mozambique so I have absolutely zero idea of what authentic Mozambique is :hehe:

Offline John F

• Virtus et Honos
  • Cred: 518
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 06:21:39 AM »
Chidenguele could also be an option.... just past Xai-Xai.... heard of some decent R&S catches there as well
UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 77
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 08:06:19 PM »
Chizavane...it has plenty options of accomodation by the beach and also heard of some decent R&S catches there as well

Offline Cage

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 64
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »
some good options already mentioned. my 2c below
1. Santa maria - lovely lodging, fishing blows hot and cold and area a little limited - Machangulo and Nhonguane awesome and close proximity to the best fishing area
2. Xai xai itself has plenty good accom options but to me always felt too busy and also too close and accessible to the locals - amazing beaches and reef but fishing shore based has been crap (at least for me)
3. Chizavane and Chidenguelle (40-60km) north of xai xai, one of my favourite areas which we frequent. Have experienced awesome fishing in this area (home to the famed Kings Pool). Great Lodges too - Zona Braza our favourite family spot (on the beach, good restaurant, also drive is easy and no need for breaking the journey). Owner (Jaco) is a keen R&S angler and is very helpful. Good fishing areas not too far a walk from the lodge and really nice beach for kids esp at low tide. We have caught great GT, lots of greenspots and bluefin kingies, some awesome flatfish spots close to the lodge. Have also seen good stumpie, rockcod and speckled being caught shorebased
4. Also have a look at Paindane (Lighthouse Reef, jangamo Village, Paz do Pai) - awesome swimming beach, some great snorkeling on the inside of the reef and have had some epic spinning off Paindane point (closer to inhambane so usually commute there over 2 days) - ive seen Cuta cruising within meters off the point whilst fishing, best visited over a spring cycle to access the furthest rocks on the point

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal