Author Topic: Gemini vs Infanta vs Falcon vs Stingray vs Buccaneer vs whatever else  (Read 851 times)

Offline emjay

• Cred: 16
Good morning

Myself and and a couple of friends are thinking about buying a boat for spearfishing and fishing purposes. We are pretty interested in rubber ducks due to their affordability on the secondhand market, lightness and stability. I was thinking a duck in the 4.5m to 5.0m range would suit our needs. We are usually two to four people when diving together

Which duck brand would be the better one to choose when looking at secondhand ducks? I'm aware that the condition of the pontoons are important and how the boat has been stored, but what about hull construction? Which brand has the better designed and stronger hull? If we go through with a purchase then we will be doing mostly surf launching and I assume the act of beaching can be quite hard on hulls and transoms over time

I have my skippers and have lots of experience on the ocean, but this has been with my father's Yeld Cat, so I'm not too clued up on rubber ducks and which one is better
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Grumpy

• Cred: 0
Can of worms. Pls go and see Carl De Villiers at  Boatworld.  Arguably the most honest boating individual in the industry.

Offline John F

• Virtus et Honos
  • Cred: 518
Can of worms. Pls go and see Carl De Villiers at  Boatworld.  Arguably the most honest boating individual in the industry.

X2 on Carl.

Great guy. Builds the Gemini. Had mine for almost 10 years no worries whatsoever.

Only guy ORI deals with.
UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline Mal Hannes

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 6
Having owned and operated ducks commercially.

Gemini is my first choice.

I have not owned a falcon but many love them.

I would buy a Gemini without much concern.

The size ai would kick up to just over 5 meters.

If you do go for a cat duck,  make sure you have enough power for rough days.

Keep us informed with your progress.

Have fun.
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
Any duck that doesn't have rubber tubes filled with air  w;k

Not a fan of ducks (with the exception of my little Ark that can travel in the boot of a car), but Gemini have a good reputation in the market. If you are surf launching, or even going to be at sea when the sea is up, avoid cat hulled ducks. They have way too much flotation in the bow and the propensity to flip far easier than monos.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline travelmember

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 48
Gemini, then Falcon then Infanta. The Infanta's are really nice, good finishes, lots of options and popular with inland dam users (good resale) but maybe a bit cramped for spearos.

Falcon are good, more economical to buy and popular with offshore and inland users. I have a 575, kind of like a good double cab bakkie! Ski, tube, fish, train beginners etc. Really good allrounder.

Gemini are proven offshore, good hulls and good resale.
You really cant go too wrong with any of the above as long as the hull is sound, tubes are looked after, it fits on the trailer nicely and has sufficient power.

With entry level boats and as long as you are not running far, the simplicity of older 2 strokes outweighs the economy of 4's for me.

Offline emjay

Thanks for the advice so far. I have noted that gemini seems to be a well respected brand. I see quite a few Buccaneers for sale on the secondhand market. Is this because they are popular or because they aren't good boats and owners want to get rid of them?

Offline pintocoelho

Re: Gemini vs Infanta vs Falcon vs Stingray vs Buccaneer vs whatever else
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »
I went through the same process when looking for a versatile boat for spearing, fishing and towing about 3 years ago.

I landed up going for a 2nd hand Tomcat/Gamefish/Alley cat 440 (All the same hull - Built by different manufacturers over the years) which was a bit more expensive then the 2nd hand 5m duck market but to be honest,it was the best choice I have ever made. If you have the bucks, I strongly recommend the tomcat 440, it punches well above its weight.

Ducks are great, but there is always that risk when jumping on and off with guns, spears all over the show, weight belt rubbing and lifting fish over the pontoon etc. The pontoons also require regular maintenance, need to be deflated when standing and inflated pre-launch and sometimes out at sea - All in all its a hack!

I think you can also pick up 14-16ft older mono's (think ace craft, Super dolphin) for a similar price to a 2nd hand duck, it might need a bit of work, but at least its solid glass. They are also easy to handle/tow and are famous for their deep-V rides and abilities in the surf.

Just my 2cents

Offline stephenrplumb

• Cred: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 07:24:46 PM »
to the OP, i have a gemini that I bought off a spearo about 3 years back. I may be interested in selling it as I have just bought a bigger boat. It is a 4.9m boat and has twin Yamaha 40 2 strokes. Let me know if you are interested as I am in two minds about selling it as it is nice and light (registered 750Kgs) and easy to use without a tractor, but I will have it all together with the batteries and Lawrence Hook7 finder/chart plotter which I keep in JHB for the COF at the end of november.

Offline vanmansa

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 02:54:49 PM »
Hi

Please can you contact me regarding the duck possibly for sale

Offline stephenrplumb

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »
HI I am new to this forum so not too sure of the rules. I see you are hillcrest and I am based in JHB but have a place in Kassier Road probably around the corner from you. You can call me on 0622170063 and I can see if I can dig up some photos.

Cheers
Stephen

Offline John F

• Virtus et Honos
  • Cred: 518
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »
HI I am new to this forum so not too sure of the rules. I see you are hillcrest and I am based in JHB but have a place in Kassier Road probably around the corner from you. You can call me on 0622170063 and I can see if I can dig up some photos.

Cheers
Stephen

You will be able to find all here
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?board=2.0

Also check here for tips on how  to use the forum

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?board=51.0
UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline Chigger

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 26
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »

X2 on Carl.

Great guy. Builds the Gemini. Had mine for almost 10 years no worries whatsoever.

Only guy ORI deals with.

X 3 on Carl

Offline emjay

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 12:45:27 PM »
Unfortunately the dream of buying a boat will have to wait for the moment. Due to some changes in life that will happen in the near future, I will have to keep my cash in my pocket for the time being.

Thanks all to those who gave advice. It has not been wasted

Offline stephenrplumb

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 07:29:40 AM »
Well I hope that means congratulations for a new born on the way? By the way if you are in DBN and willing to take some 14-15years old kids on a  spearfishing session I would be happy to top man.
Being vaalies these days I am a little weary of the sea. I tried taking them out at Umdloti and it was okayish, until we tried to come back in and it was a little challenging getting them back through the rocks and such. As a result I prefer taking them out in the boat, but am not too happy about leaving them on their own in the water and prefer to keep them under 12m depth since we are not doing this every weekend.

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal