Author
Topic: Tackle Advice  (Read 488 times)

Offline Johan1241

• Cred: 0
Tackle Advice
« on: July 14, 2019, 04:29:50 pm »
So I'm in need for some expert advice!

So I suffer from tackle addiction like many of us fisherman do but unlike the many I have no Idea why I buy certain Rods/ Reels etc and what they're actually meant to be used to target duh So I end up going over gunned for some edibles or under gunned for anything else and its ends up not being the best days out there.

My current rock and surf set ups are as follows:

• Shimano Torium 30 with FinNor 14' Graphite Surf (09319) (Casts 4-8 oz)
  • Penn 500 Jg Master with Stimulator 13.5' (1353XXH) (Casts up to 4.5 oz)
  • Small No name 11' with shimano 4000 grinder- This I use for smaller edibles now and general scratching

I do also have a Daiwa grandwave 50 and penn 990 mag Power if the above reels don't suit the rods properly

Any advice on the above combos and how they could be best used? or are the combos not ideally workable?

Appreciate your guys advice!

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 755
Re: Tackle Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:40:11 am »
Would definitely swop the Jigmaster with the Grandwave. You will double your casting distance.

The other setups seem to be fine.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline emjay

• Cred: 16
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 04:41:58 pm »
Maybe sell the jigmaster, grandwave 50 and that Penn 990 and use the money to buy a Daiwa sl30, Shimano TLD 15/30, or equivalent size reel to put on that stimulator. In my mind it would be more balanced then  :dunno:

What is the cast rating on the no name 11ft rod?
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Johan1241

• Cred: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 11:01:41 pm »
Thanks for the ideas guys.
 ill have a look at the sl30, I used one a few years ago and from what I remember it was a pretty decent reel.
The no name brand does actually have a brand I've just never heard of it before haha. its a D.A.M Venom rod, doesnt have any ratings printed on it but ive found it most happy with a 3oz and a relatively small bait. Tried throwing a few lures with it before but it gets no distance out of a 2oz spoon or jighead

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 22
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 10:17:36 am »
Just fish the GW50 or torium, I fish my SL50 for everything and a GW40 for everything else...If you must sell some stuff and buy a reel, you cannot go wrong with an Adrenalin xmaster pro 30 size for that application, with a static mag (get pro installed or DIY, either or). Otherwise your setups are fine, as reefs said swop out the jigmaster for more distance. A magged grandwave is my favourite casting reel hands down.