Author
Topic: Correct Battery  (Read 568 times)

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 55
Re: Correct Battery
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 02:29:27 pm »
This seems a better option solenoid for marine use

[size=1.45em]http://4x4direct.co.za/battery-accessories/9193-solid-state-switch-for-double-battery-system.html[/size][/url]

Hi Sean , i suppose it would work ive never used those components before bud? I opted for marine grade components so went with the Blue Seas stuff, salt has a way of stuffing up electronics super fast  :unhap . No matter how ive tried sealing joints/connectors etc corrosion always seems to find its way in when using standard copper wiring, non marine grade stainless etc etc, since i ripped that all out and went the tin wire route/marine grade components i have not had a single issue in 4 yrs now i believe?

I think your relays between your cranking batteries and your house (deep cycle) battery are automatic anyway, only closing when there is charge coming from your motors - or do you switch them manually?
You offshore guys are and need to be a bit sharper than us inlanders, I would forget to switch over if all manual.  :nuts: :beer: :craz: 

LOL no they automatic relays , dont need to switch on and off

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 77
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 07:55:28 pm »
This is how i setup my wiring on my Tomcat..The switch at the motors is a combine switch (Blue Seas Pn011), so if one battery dies i can then start either motor with the battery that is still fine. The front switch is a basic blue seas on off switch to cut power to any electronics. The charging relays are the Blue Seas M-ACR 7601 automatic charging relays, i could have perhaps used 1 charging relay? however i opted for two so when power drifting or when im only using 1 motor either motor still charges the house battery. I purchased all the goodies from Steve at Seaport Durbs. All wiring was Tin Silicone wire, and i made sure to upsize the wiring running from the start batteries to combine switch (12 0r 14mm ?) and 10mm to front panel. My wiring might have been a bit overkill however ive never had any issues what so ever since doing this!

Grame from SeaPort CPT suggested me a similar diagram with a added (optional) battery protector
What it does is sense when the house battery reaches a certain state of discharge and warns you, to avoid discharging the battery too far which could damage the battery and shorten itís lifespan, if the battery protect doesnít sense any charge coming in a certain period of time after warning you of the low voltage, it will disconnect the loads in order to prevent further discharge of the house battery. Once the battery protect senses charge coming in and the house battery voltage rises to the programmed reconnect voltage it will supply power to your loads again

They quoted me R5.5k just for the parts on the image (except engines and batteries)...but I also took their suggestion that all the electronics we use don't drain that much power that we need a house battery
This is what I run:
2 x VHF Cobra
1x garmin gpsmap 720s
1 x garmin echopam 74sv
1 x boss stereo (not running all the time)
1x jabso water puppy model 23680 2003...I only run the deck wash with the engine running (it's plugged straight to the engine)
appart from that navigation lights, anchor light and deck light

Offline GT Mayhem

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 11
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 09:37:40 pm »
Great posts guys. I have been doing some googling and also came across the blueseas add a battery switch. Looks like this is what is needed to connect an aux battery professionally.

Offline GT Mayhem

• Ultimate member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 08:41:00 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with deltec batteries?
Particularly the 102ah

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 09:39:54 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with deltec batteries?
Particularly the 102ah
I have 2x 70ah Deltecs, decent batteries decently priced but nothing fantastic, you get better but you pay :nuts:
Just Fish!!!

Offline GT Mayhem

• Ultimate member
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 07:41:35 am »
What would you consider as better? Besides the optima, they are way too expensive.
I have been quoted 1500 for the deltec 102ah batteris.

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 08:58:41 am »
You get batteries(R1000) and you get batteries(R3000+) if you know what I mean, look at the OEM batteries in cars, they last 5-7 years no problem - good quality.
put a Willard/Exide/whatevacrapbattery in the car and it lasts 2 years, three if you lucky.
The Deltecs are somewhere in between I think?? Mine are going on 4 years and are fine whereas the previous silver calcium bla bla crap that came new with the boat lasted two years, same duty. Personally I would use the Deltecs(R1200) again :rck"
Whatever you do - fit the correct battery as recommended by motor manufacturer wrt CCA and AH - these are NOT thumbsuck  BS figures!!
Just Fish!!!

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 55
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 11:29:40 am »
I have the Deltecs on my boat, i replaced one faulty one after a year however have had no other issues since. cant remember the AH size thou

Offline GT Mayhem

• Ultimate member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 08:43:08 pm »
My engine spec requires 350CCA. The deltec im am looking at are 800CCA so no worries on the cranking power. Can too big be a problem? I got quite a few pumps on board which draw a lot of current and i think the bigger batteries will work better. I already have one from my other boat which rarely gets used so just need 1 more.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:46:25 pm by GT Mayhem »