Author
Topic: need some advice for braid  (Read 566 times)

Offline garrickhunter

• Cred: 0
need some advice for braid
« on: June 30, 2019, 01:49:11 pm »
I have a saltist power spin rod paired with daiwa bg4000 .I have lowered the winch on the rod as I am using this rod for scratching.Everything from shad to bronze bream and brusher.What will be  the ideal braid to use on this set up taking into consideration that i will be fishing in the bricks sometimes.Will really appreciate some advice.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 755
Re: need some advice for braid
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 06:14:34 pm »
Can't believe no-one has helped you here....  <: swr

So there are many options for scratching braid. Look for a good casting braid that is 8 STRAND, it casts much better than the 4 Strand braids.
I would go 20-30lb braid on that reel. Good option is HMP - locally made and very good value.
Other braids that are good are more expensive.

My favourite is the Sufix 832, but there are other great braids... Gosen, Black Velvet, JDB, Daiwa J-Braid, Power-Pro etc etc

Fishing with Braid in the bricks is generally quite costly. You will need to use a Braid leader and 1m Mono at the end to make sure you break there and not midway through your briad.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline garrickhunter

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 06:31:23 pm »
Thank you very much.Will try the 20lb first.I have some 40lb braid leaders so will give it a shot.Thanks you have been a great help

Offline Crocks2

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 10:49:15 am »
Can't believe no-one has helped you here....  <: swr

So there are many options for scratching braid. Look for a good casting braid that is 8 STRAND, it casts much better than the 4 Strand braids.
I would go 20-30lb braid on that reel. Good option is HMP - locally made and very good value.
Other braids that are good are more expensive.

My favourite is the Sufix 832, but there are other great braids... Gosen, Black Velvet, JDB, Daiwa J-Braid, Power-Pro etc etc

Fishing with Braid in the bricks is generally quite costly. You will need to use a Braid leader and 1m Mono at the end to make sure you break there and not midway through your briad.

Can you expand a bit on this.
I think I understand the 1m mono at the end, being the hook snoot or the hook snoot connected to this.
Braid leader, what length and size in relation to the backing.
Ive read the main reason for backing is to fill up the spool with less expensive braid.
The leader your refer to is this the "top shot".
Getting totally confused with it all.
Upto now I only fish edibles, coffee grinder.
One set up for a Cracker other lighter for bronze bream etc.
Penn 8000 and Alivio 10000 revels so far, busy buying a Penn Slammer 6500.

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 221
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 12:14:07 pm »
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=15598.0

This discusses braid leader extensively

Offline Crocks2

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 01:55:06 pm »
Thanks, got a bit of reading (studying) to do.

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 121
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 08:41:15 am »
20 to 30 lbs max I would suggest .

To give a quick reply RE leaders ect .

Some guys have a double the rod length , mono leader ( look in the knot section for relevant connections braiD TO MONO)

Some guys have a leader of thicker braid , so main braid are 20 lbs , they would fish a 2 to 4 m of. 40 lbs braid , personally not very fond of this .

In eastuaries , we fish no leader , we tie our swivel straight to the mono , but we modify our ball sinkers , so there are no rubbing braid on lead ..here’s a thread somewhere , that some showed it , you Basicly drill a larger hole in your ball egg sinker , and super glue or wedge a earbud straw in there .

Should help you a bit

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 22
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 10:11:41 am »
When bait fishing with braid (rarely) I will take my mono rod with to soak a bigger bait while I scratch (or spin) with the braid outfit..I prefer the longer mono leader and an FG knot that I test before using..That mono leader to clip if spinning, swivel if scratching (or as the hook snood with a charter special trace, which is a uni to uni, no swivel, and sinker on lighter line and hook on the leaders tag end after the uni-uni, this trace is for clear water and the bite sensitivity is unreal with no swivels).

But on either trace if my hook gets snagged it will break off at the uni or FG or a meter or two up the braid where there has been some abrasion. With a braid leader I find breaking off to be a PITA, sometimes loosing too much line as it breaks off randomly up towards the rod tip, or I hurt myself trying to break off when mainline is too heavy and braid leader even heavier.I was joining with a stitch in this instance and a FG knot should be better suited as an engineered weak point. Generally I will have a granny knot just above my sinker and retie there after snagging a few times, till I loose my whole leader and then give up on the braid, and just fish my multiplier for the rest of the day and retie the FG when I get home! This weekend it was a random windknot after a thousand perfect casts that snapped off everything and send it into the sea before I could react..I have far less catastrophic overwinds with the multiplier and mono than I have catastrophic windknots with the right grinder, right line, right eye setup and right rod, fishing in a decent wind cross or onshore?! But anyway..General scratching, balance between durability, strength and casting distance for the braid seems to be 20lb power pro or 832 etc. and brands that are accurate in their breaking ratings like HMP, something like 30lb or so( I found gator braid when I used it over rated their line, 50lb there was abouts right). Basically a true 30lb breaking strength is abouts just right..