Author
Topic: Langbeen water  (Read 301 times)

Offline Bamboes-Vis

• Cred: 1
Langbeen water
« on: June 27, 2019, 01:11:17 pm »
I have heard people talking about "langbeen" water.
Excatly what is it, and how does it affect fishing?

Regards

Offline Lofty

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 77
  • dis lekker by die see...
Re: Langbeen water
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 01:37:46 pm »
I might be wrong,but i think that's when the water temp is very cold...it affects fishing if the temp drops suddenly,fish will go off the bite then...
Always be humble...

Offline LeerieLegend

• Cred: 5
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 02:07:00 pm »
According to me, "langbeen water" is when the waves push very far up the beach, and pull very far back again, making surf fishing very difficult. Usually occurs with springtides/ bigger swell.

Offline Lenny

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 121
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 08:58:02 am »
Langbeen , is Basicly strong big seas , sometimes just happens itís the same time as full or dark moon .

We can chat a about , if the langbeen are just big seas and strong seas , and or current , or when the current swings ...
Having a look at my fishing log a few weeks back , we had bad currents , but the sea was small , dam strong too .

Last week , Langbeen big seas , zero current , and fish bit ...
When you look at the horizon carefully , you will see , what the guys call , kasteelkies . It looks like rectangular blocks of water , what we know it not possible . But thatís an indication of langbeen water to come , wind and upset seas .

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 22
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 09:44:18 am »
This weekend, water was surging, long period swell, big swell, decent tides..If you threw in the wrong spot, nothing all day, if you figured the fish out...eish they were chowing! Would have been what you described as langbeen water..Saturday I struggled but saw someone klapping it, but only in one little zone, as he moved off I threw on the mark and hit the jackpot until a black and white rat with wings stole the rest of my bait and I was out of sinkers. Sunday I went out with a plan and within 3 or 4 casts had my limit and spent the rest of my sinkers trying for other species for C&R. By the eve the sea temps had crashed with the stiff offshores and the bite had mainly turned off. To give you an idea on the surge/currents, I was collecting occys on the beach, dead, washed out and smashed to pieces, got a few actually..Waves were mal..Next weekend supposed to be more mal..
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:45:11 am by Visenvryheid »

Offline LeerieLegend

• Cred: 5
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 11:48:49 am »
Had an awesome steenie session close to Gansbaai in large swells and strong current on Sunday. Also found the fish biting in a very small area, where less sand was kicked up and water was a bit calmer. Had to cast quite a distance to reach this area, but every cast which found its mark produced a steenie. Caught 4 within an hour (not big fish, all in the 40 to 60cm range) before conditions at the spot changed again due to the receding tide.
It seems steenie catches have been good this past weekend, along a large part of the coastline, all in big seas.
Always thought steenbras prefer the calmer, rolling seas...