Author Topic: yamaha 60hp 2 stroke feul consumption  (Read 692 times)

Offline pistolpete

• Cred: 0
yamaha 60hp 2 stroke feul consumption
« on: June 12, 2019, 09:31:51 AM »
Hi guys. New to this forum.

I have a question that I hope you guys can help with. I have  a gamefish 510 cc with 2x yamaha 40hp 2 stroke 2 cylinders on. The boat goes  well enough with 2 up but I think it might be nice to have a few more horses. Going up to 60s will give me 50% more horsepower but will this mean that I will use 50% more fuel?How much more fuel would 2 stroke 60s use than the 40s considering that the 40s  have to work really hard and the 60 s wouldn't have to work as hard to do the  same job. Assume that the circumstances would be the same ie. Speed weight sea  conditions etc. Has anyone had experience of a similar upgrade? Any input would be appreciated.Thanks in Advance

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
Re: yamaha 60hp 2 stroke feul consumption
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:40:29 AM »
Without doubt heavier on fuel but the difference will be nothing to be concerned about.
Just Fish!!!

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 65
  • vidalbum
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:07:01 PM »
i think they will be very close to the same those 40s are heavy on fuel (my one is) they made to run on bad fuel and takes a rock to block those carbs,
the 60s also swing a big prop so you never going to have to run them hard

vidalbum

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 08:20:03 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, those 40s do have huge jets. i reckon it could suck a fly through the carbs and it would come out the exhaust with its wings still on :-)

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 10:13:28 AM »
I think you will find consumption about the same if not improved, I upgraded from 100s to 115s on one of my boats in the past and fuel consumption was better with the bigger motors
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za

Offline fishing mike

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 11:38:22 AM »
Did you change your motors?
How have you found the fuel consumption on the 60's
I am considering the same change and any advise would be beneficial
thanks
Mike

Offline CAPTAIN MORGAN

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 19
  • Lucky, is someones name
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »
We run two 60 Yamaha two strokes on a sea cat 510, they are not too bad on fuel with more than enough power, prop setup 6000 rpm on full throtle. We use 6 cans a day trolling three to four guys on the boat.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:56:33 AM by CAPTAIN MORGAN »
"Fish, what fish?"

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »
Power to weight (in this case "drag") ratio is probably too narrow with the smaller motors, and the 510 would definitely be classified (IMHO) as too big for 40s. I reckon 60s will be pretty close to the 40s consumption, but probably not better. The holeshot (and with that, safety factor) will be vastly improved though.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline stephenrplumb

• Cred: 1
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 02:38:26 PM »
in a similar Vein, I have just dragged my boat down to DBn for the annual COF pilgrimage. I took it to natal power boats for service as I was not 100% sure of the provenance and the fellow there said that I had 16pitch props, which were okay for JHB but probably on the low side for Dbn.

The boat is a Ace Glider 530 with 2 x Suzuki 90Hp 4 strokes. Not really an expert on this, but how do I know if the boat is under or overpropped. The props are quite nice stainless units. I am going to try it out next weekend and see how it behaves.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 02:45:12 PM »
in a similar Vein, I have just dragged my boat down to DBn for the annual COF pilgrimage. I took it to natal power boats for service as I was not 100% sure of the provenance and the fellow there said that I had 16pitch props, which were okay for JHB but probably on the low side for Dbn.

The boat is a Ace Glider 530 with 2 x Suzuki 90Hp 4 strokes. Not really an expert on this, but how do I know if the boat is under or overpropped. The props are quite nice stainless units. I am going to try it out next weekend and see how it behaves.

At W.O.T. you should be between a specific rev range. Consult your manuals for that range. If you are revving too low, you should decrease pitch but if you are too high (hitting the rev limiter) you need to increase pitch.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline John F

• Cred: 517
  • Virtus et Honos
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 07:32:09 PM »

On my Yeld 19 with zukes 90s I'm running 19 pitch 3 blade props.... the motors came with 17 .... reason I went with 19 was mainly economy (as I hardly ever do surf launches - when I do, I still have PLENTY of vrooom)... I also think 16 is too small for your boat.. you need to try different sizes and configurations (3-4 blades) depending on your regular use and boat specs... I'm sure the Ace Glider is heavier than a Yeld.... so you need to experiment.... a few more reasons to go fishing heheheh
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:33:53 PM by John F »
UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline fishing mike

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 08:11:53 PM »
"We run two 60 Yamaha two strokes on a sea cat 510, they are not too bad on fuel with more than enough power, prop setup 6000 rpm on full throtle. We use 6 cans a day trolling three to four guys on the boat."

That is about double I use for 7 hours of fishing on my two 40's.

I have read somewhere that the Merc's are lighter on fuel than the Yamaha's
Does any body know if this is true?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:13:17 PM by fishing mike »

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 06:40:54 AM »
in richards bay you run far and wide to go fish hence more fuel

vidalbum

Offline stephenrplumb

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 07:32:58 AM »
"We run two 60 Yamaha two strokes on a sea cat 510, they are not too bad on fuel with more than enough power, prop setup 6000 rpm on full throtle. We use 6 cans a day trolling three to four guys on the boat."

That is about double I use for 7 hours of fishing on my two 40's.

I have read somewhere that the Merc's are lighter on fuel than the Yamaha's
Does any body know if this is true?
Many thanks. Going to go back down this weekend and put it in the sea for the first time. Not really sure how to experiment given the cost of props. I am told somewhere in the region of 10k a piece. Anyway, will give it a run and see what happens.

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 08:08:22 AM »
props for 60 yammies around 2k a piece

vidalbum

Offline stephenrplumb

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 04:38:31 PM »
Many thanks for the input the far guys. Much appreciated. So the next question is, are stainless props really worth the extra cash. Is three blades better than four? Do 90Hps really put that much stress on an Ali prop?

I would like to get the boat right for the coast as I don't anticipate using it in JHB any time soon, so don't really need any high altitude performance.

Do you just go out and buy lots of props and try them out? Sounds like expensive trial and error.

Offline John F

• Cred: 517
  • Virtus et Honos
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
Do you just go out and buy lots of props and try them out? Sounds like expensive trial and error.

Talk to mates and ask them for a set of props for a few hours
UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013