Author
Topic: Lengthening a Poseidon 3,5m Ultra Light Spinning rod  (Read 546 times)

Offline huntley

• Cred: 0
Lengthening a Poseidon 3,5m Ultra Light Spinning rod
« on: April 28, 2019, 10:23:54 pm »
I have a Poseidon HMG 36T Ultra Light Spinning 3 piece rod (3,5m) I have been looking at the rod and was wondering of I could add 12 to 18 inches to the butt section and move the reel seat down. The reason would be to hopefully increase the distance on my casting with the extra length. Most of the spoons and lures I use range from 20 45 grams. Has anyone tried this and if so did it work? Look forward to hearing your ideas both positive and negative.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
Re: Lengthening a Poseidon 3,5m Ultra Light Spinning rod
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 09:39:37 am »
Haven't tried it but it's the reason I sold mine... Reel seat is horribly far down the butt. Awkward in the hand.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:55:27 am »
1. You cannot just move a reel seat, they need to be cut off, which destroys them.
2. If you are wanting the reel seat in a higher position relative to the   butt, would be easier to just remove the old one and fit a new one where you want it.
3. a 20g lure on that rod is a big ask, it is far happier from 1.5oz / 45g to 2.5oz / 70g.
25-45cm is quite a long extension.
Not impossible,   but the smallish ID if the blank might be an issue; weight gain will be   fairly substantial if you opt to slide the blank INTO the extension,   rather than over a smaller dia section of blank.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 09:55:53 am by fishatic »

Offline huntley

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 03:49:38 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas Fishatic. I did envisage cutting the reel seat but was a little concerned about the glue they may have used and possibly damaging the blank. What I thought was to remove the reel seat along with the rubber grips and inserting a smaller ID blank into the original and then positioning the reel in different positions until I found a spot that suited my needs best. I have extended an old fibreglass blank doing this and it did slow/soften the action and this is what I am hoping to achieve with this one. I take it these modern blank actions will also slow/soften a bit by lengthening the butt.

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 08:30:03 am »
Before you cut anything:
Tape the reel on to the rod at a position you feel comfortable with and go cast it in a field.
I say field because that way you will concentrate on the job at hand, not on fishing...
You can then adjust / move it around until you are comfortable
Plain old insulation tape will work just fine.
On your 11' try around 480-510mm from the butt cap to the reel stem, this will probably put the reel on the top grip somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 08:30:25 am by fishatic »

Offline huntley

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 02:29:47 pm »
Thanks for all your help and advice earlier today. I really appreciate it and will let you know how it goes.

Offline Kes

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 11:56:25 am »
I have a Poseidon HMG 36T Ultra Light Spinning 3 piece rod (3,5m) I have been looking at the rod and was wondering of I could add 12 to 18 inches to the butt section and move the reel seat down. The reason would be to hopefully increase the distance on my casting with the extra length. Most of the spoons and lures I use range from 20 45 grams. Has anyone tried this and if so did it work? Look forward to hearing your ideas both positive and negative.

What distance you getting currently and what distance are you hoping for? Sometimes the length of the rod is not as important as the actual guide setup. As an example, my 11ft (3.35m) Assassin Amia was a good rod and by converting it to K-R concept guides made it a better rod. There is now a noticeable increase in casting distance with less effort than the original.

Casting weight ranged from 28-43 grams though. I doubt you would get any joy increasing the length of your rod and casting 20g, 45g maybe.

Offline huntley

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 08:39:33 pm »
I have lengthened the rod to just short of 13 ft. I am now throwing 120m (measured with a GPS) with the original guide set up, an increase of 12-15m and after seeing your advice regarding the K-R concept will change the guides for hopefully some extra distance. I will stick to weights of 40 - 50 grams for this rod and use another for lighter lures. I just wanted a rod that could get some extra distance when spinning for snoek off the beaches on the north coast and need to get past the back line. Thanks for all the ideas and input, it is really appreciated.