Author
Topic: Shimano Spheros SW6000 Braid  (Read 112 times)

Offline SCRATCH KING

• Cred: 0
Shimano Spheros SW6000 Braid
« on: April 17, 2019, 03:30:33 pm »
So after a long time of going back and forth on what reel to take for lighter tackle surf fishing (azores, sedona, nasci, BG etc), I decided to settle on the Shimano Spheros SW6000(optionally can use 5000 spool on it too for lighter work) . It was a "love on first crank" situation... When I held it in hand, I just knew that it was precisely what I wanted lol. Buttery smooth with all of the bells and whistles that I need. It's going to be paired up with a L&F Archipelago 11ft or 12ft. It's definitely not as lightweight as a stradic or the aforementioned, but I still think that it'll be quite fine for my application.

I need suggestions in terms of braid and the amount required. I've read that the stated quantities on the spool are really inaccurate. I think HMP might just be a good choice in terms of brand, but also wouldn't mind the likes of the 8 strand boss braids since I've personally not been disappointed by them.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:32:24 pm by SCRATCH KING »
There is a Fine Line between Fishing and just Standing on the Shore like an Idiot!
#Fish with PURPOSE  #Be Tactically VERSATILE
#KNOW your Quarry #LEARN, EXPERIMENT, FILTER, APPLY

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
Re: Shimano Spheros SW6000 Braid
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 04:05:13 pm »
HMP's 8 strand is very good

35lb HMP: 325m.
25lb HMP: 430m.
BS is up to you.

If you went for the 25lb, spool up with a 300m spool and then fill up with .35mm mono and then reverse the whole lot.

This SHOULD work out at 70m of the mono and then the braid.

For the 35lb, use 20m of .35mm mono and then spool up with the braid.

Boss braids have a pretty thick coating (not a fan of this concept, but many other guys do it too)

If you went for Daiwa J braid, 15lb is the equivalent of 25lb HMP and 20lb the equivalent of 35lb HMP.

For your information:
15lb J Braid has an ABS of 27lb.
20lb J Braid has an ABS of 35lb
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:16:45 pm by fishatic »

Offline SCRATCH KING

• Cred: 0
Re: Shimano Spheros SW6000 Braid
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 06:29:13 pm »
That's some fantastic information Fishatic. Thank you for that in depth and informative response. Deserves some cred. I'll hop on that 35lb HMP, just to be a bit safer when fishing areas with a bit of "brickwork". It might hamper casting performance somewhat when compared to that 25LB line im sure, but it's a small tradeoff that I'm willing to accept for a bit of added safety.
There is a Fine Line between Fishing and just Standing on the Shore like an Idiot!
#Fish with PURPOSE  #Be Tactically VERSATILE
#KNOW your Quarry #LEARN, EXPERIMENT, FILTER, APPLY