Author
Topic: Sorting out newly aquired boat !  (Read 579 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Cred: 0
Sorting out newly aquired boat !
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:49:16 am »
Recently bought a boat and over the past three months in my spare time I have gone through  the craft with a “fine tooth comb” fixing all the problems and potential issues.

1.   The trailers brakes needed sorting out , they would never have worked.
2.   The wheel bearings were shot and I still wonder how I got the boat home.
3.   The tyres sidewalls were cracked and ready to burst….
4.   The discs on the brakes were VERY ! Badly rusted with little or no maintenance over the past few years.

On the boat.

1.   The Trim and Tilt was leaking, whoever opened them up had no clue how to do it. properly , I imported the correct tools and “O”rings with seals , replaced the damaged end caps .
2.   The circlips that hold the cross bolt/stud in place on the tilt section of the trim and tilt were not even there, some of the nylon bushes were missing. Machined these out of Vesconite. 
3.   The hydraulic steering was leaking , Asked around for the correct seals and “O” rings … was quoted R3500.00 , got them for R780.00.
4.   There are a huge amount of bolts and nuts to balance the steering and other things that can come loose , none of these had the correct “Loctite” or any loctite ……..

In essence I thought everything was “OK”   , then I started checking the “electrical“ system ….no wonder the majority of fires on small craft are due to electrical faults ,  got most of that sorted, Then I checked the VHF radio ,  I could not find the antenna ……but the radio did work but you could not get more than  800m – 1km out of the radio at best …….So I traced the antenna wire. Whoever installed this radio should not be allowed to even change a light bulb, absolutely no pride in their work and absolutely zero knowledge about antennas ….

The previous owner of the boat was a young chap who purchased/financed the boat through a well-known dealer in Durban , but continually had issues with the boat and could not afford to keep on fixing so sold the boat , yes I got it for a bargain, but in saying this, since this experience I wonder about the integrity of some of the dealers, if it was me who had purchased the boat the dealer would have had his hands full of litigation and claims resulting from this, I did contact them about some of the issues to get some insight and his claim is he was just helping the “lad” out …. What actually happened is , the boat was sold to the “LAD” so that the  “then” owner could buy a newer boat from the same dealer.

Attached pic shows where the antenna was mounted ……

The road to hell is normally paved with good intentions !

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
Re: Sorting out newly aquired boat !
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 12:11:09 pm »
I have very little faith in the "experts"... I have a great deal of faith in my own ability though. Thing is... If I were to account for my time commercially, my little boat would have run into hundreds of thousands by now. And that's the sad reality.

You get downright shoddy workmanship (inexcusable in any terms), and then you get guys cutting corners to come out on budget. Our best builders sell most of their boats overseas because us SAcans can't afford (or don't want to cough up for) the time spent on a top quality piece of workmanship. The same goes for most handwork, art and crafts.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 05:15:53 pm »
Jip Fishstyx I know many of the SA clients cant afford the top end boats , however some of the dealers just don't get it ….. for the Hydraulic steering seals and "O" rings a dealer wanted to charge me R3500.00 ….. when he saw my face be said "but it is branded stuff"  …. that made my blood boil even more ….. I would have changed over to "push pull"   but then found the exact same product , brand etc etc at a different dealer for R750.00  ,  I now can get them for under R280.00 from a hydraulic supply company.

Regarding the antenna ….. I doubt any dealer would have installed the antenna horizontally under the dash alongside power cables , this was the previous owner , if he had done his VHF course he would have realised that, that was not how it is done …

Any way … the boat is looking good and nearing completion…..

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 05:24:54 pm »
I hear you bud... Just btw... Hydraulic seals are, to a huge extent, standard items. Bearingman has helped me out on so many occasions with seals for weird stuff that I thought I'd never be able to pick up from anyone but the agents... Don't bother with their website tho... Last look I took, it dreadful.

You never told us what the boat is... Pics please  :-)
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 01:40:22 pm »
FishStyx,

In the process of changing the name, registration etc etc , when that is done then will put pics on the forum , It is a KingCat 16,6 which I chose for particular reasons ….. yes it has one issue, the waves coming over the transom …….. that is going to be rectified by increasing the height of the inside part of the  engine well, also the centre box is being replaced with a smaller box that takes 100l instead of 160l … it will also move further forward , taking a bit of weight off the rear of the boat …(60kg) and at the same time improving the weight and balance …..

Offline pumbaa

• Cred: 7
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 04:27:53 pm »
Hi Hawkeye
Only read your post today and if I could add something, the following
We inland guys travel a lot and far, and trailer problems on the road ruined a trip.
I have change my trailer to double oil filled axles and for the past 6 years never had a problem again. look at our teck section about doing the conversion yourself,only downside is you still use leave blades. other option is to visit Burquip who got a rubax  1.8 ton axle  with mechanical disk brakes  that work splendid. even have a reverse function.
Good luck and enjoy your new "baby"

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 04:44:44 pm »
Pumba ……. decent advice for sure !   going to look at the "oil Axel"  ……..

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 65
  • vidalbum
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 01:16:14 pm »
a kingcat 166 has a false transom at the back so any bit of water that comes over the transom is not a issue, You sure you dont have a invader16.6 its still a Z craft but not the newer style kingcat?

vidalbum

Offline Slim Dusty

• Cred: 5
  • One Life, Fish it!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 06:41:46 pm »
Evening,

I have the 16’6 Kingcat, a 2007 model....
Lovely little boat.

Fishing 3 x adults on the boat, on the drift, I have no issues with water coming in over the false transom
I still have the 150 liter size coffin hatch, and generally fish with all fuel tanks full.

The only time I experience water coming over the false transom is when I pull the plug out of one of the fish hatches, so that I can keep my live bait in the fish hatch, whilst fishing on the drift...
Just need to be a little vigilant when fishing like this, otherwise no issues.

Raising the false transom will definitely assist with keeping water off the deck, the only set back is that it will restrict water run off the deck should you take a big wave over the front.

Who is going to do your false transom modification?

Offline Slim Dusty

• One Life, Fish it!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 07:09:43 pm »
I would not go as far as fitting a double axle to your trailer....
Really don’t think it necessary on such a small boat.

I travel both down to Natal and Mozambique and have never had an issue with my trailer.
It’s all about servicing/maintaining your trailer, leaf springs and bearings.
 w;k

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 09:48:53 pm »
Had the 170 king cat center consol so most of the weight at the back for water come over their you doing something wrong with normal fishing ,dropping your boat short in the shore dump then water can come over

vidalbum

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 09:51:01 pm »
It is definitely a 16'6 KingCat ...... It had all the old sticker on it and I traced the original owner.... I have not experienced water coming over the back but have been told it is an issue when loaded, which makes sense after what you tell me .... Not intending to fit a double axle but defniatly an oil axle.... Just makes sense if you can do it.....

I specifically looked for a king cat because of the hull design and how she handles bad and rough water, I am a fair weather angler and not shy to admit it... I can choose in what weather I will go out in but not what I may need to face when coming back....

I have only been out with her once when buying , and was very impressed at how she handles rough water .... In essence it is a big "small" boat.... There was little pounding ..... I am used to much bigger vessels and this was an equivalent ride in many aspects, yes the length is an issue under certain conditions but that would be the same for any 16'6 boat....

When choosing a boat I not only looked at the ride but also at the size of the motors required , towing, launching, retrieving etc etc....

I am defiantly going to remove the huge coffin in the middle and replace it with a smaller one that takes 4 pioneer petrol cans.... This will improve deck space....
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:59:25 pm by Hawkeye »

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 09:54:35 pm »
Brace yourself the la oil filled axle is around 25k now but you will never have a moments issue with it
Changed the oil once on mine

vidalbum

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 10:01:42 pm »
Rather 25k and Peace of mind than hot sun, gravel road in a foreign hostile environment with squawking family... :cnfzd

Offline Slim Dusty

• One Life, Fish it!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 02:11:47 pm »
Recently bought a boat and over the past three months in my spare time I have gone through  the craft with a “fine tooth comb” fixing all the problems and potential issues.

1.   The trailers brakes needed sorting out , they would never have worked.
2.   The wheel bearings were shot and I still wonder how I got the boat home.
3.   The tyres sidewalls were cracked and ready to burst….
4.   The discs on the brakes were VERY ! Badly rusted with little or no maintenance over the past few years.

On the boat.

1.   The Trim and Tilt was leaking, whoever opened them up had no clue how to do it. properly , I imported the correct tools and “O”rings with seals , replaced the damaged end caps .
2.   The circlips that hold the cross bolt/stud in place on the tilt section of the trim and tilt were not even there, some of the nylon bushes were missing. Machined these out of Vesconite. 
3.   The hydraulic steering was leaking , Asked around for the correct seals and “O” rings … was quoted R3500.00 , got them for R780.00.
4.   There are a huge amount of bolts and nuts to balance the steering and other things that can come loose , none of these had the correct “Loctite” or any loctite ……..

In essence I thought everything was “OK”   , then I started checking the “electrical“ system ….no wonder the majority of fires on small craft are due to electrical faults ,  got most of that sorted, Then I checked the VHF radio ,  I could not find the antenna ……but the radio did work but you could not get more than  800m – 1km out of the radio at best …….So I traced the antenna wire. Whoever installed this radio should not be allowed to even change a light bulb, absolutely no pride in their work and absolutely zero knowledge about antennas ….

The previous owner of the boat was a young chap who purchased/financed the boat through a well-known dealer in Durban , but continually had issues with the boat and could not afford to keep on fixing so sold the boat , yes I got it for a bargain, but in saying this, since this experience I wonder about the integrity of some of the dealers, if it was me who had purchased the boat the dealer would have had his hands full of litigation and claims resulting from this, I did contact them about some of the issues to get some insight and his claim is he was just helping the “lad” out …. What actually happened is , the boat was sold to the “LAD” so that the  “then” owner could buy a newer boat from the same dealer.

Attached pic shows where the antenna was mounted ……

Afternoon Hawkeye,

I have to ask whether you have checked the authenticity/validity of your buoyancy certificate?
Don't want to open a can of worms here, but earlier z-craft models such as mine, a 2007 unit, are not compliant with the current SAMSA regulations...

In 2017, when the manufacturers Certificate expired, an inspection hole was cut in the fish hatch to check the state of the bottles below deck....
"Disappointment" was an understatement... the Bottles installed by Z-Craft at the time of manufacture were not the required HDPE Bottles.

Had to cough up quite a few "pennies" to redo the buoyancy...
I opted to go with Sondor Foam, personal choice really.
I now have a Buoyancy Certificate which is valid for 5years.

Certainly hope yours is legit...

Over n Out....

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 03:22:08 pm »
I checked this before I paid ….. and all was OK … my boat is a mixture of Foam and bottles and the bottles do comply... strangely the deck already had inspection hatches front and rear... …..I do know that this boat was one of the later ones manufactured .

Offline GT Mayhem

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 11
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 10:32:34 pm »
Hi Hawkeye, great thread, lots to learn from when running through a second hand boat, but at least now you know where all the issues are and exactly whats going on in your boat should you run into some trouble.

Quick question... Where did you source the trim cylinder seals and tools from?
I have a dam boat with a 115hp.v4 yamaha which has a leaking trim cylinder and would like to buy the seals amd replace myself if i can.

TIA

Offline Slim Dusty

• One Life, Fish it!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:15 pm »
FishStyx,

In the process of changing the name, registration etc etc , when that is done then will put pics on the forum , It is a KingCat 16,6 which I chose for particular reasons ….. yes it has one issue, the waves coming over the transom …….. that is going to be rectified by increasing the height of the inside part of the  engine well, also the centre box is being replaced with a smaller box that takes 100l instead of 160l … it will also move further forward , taking a bit of weight off the rear of the boat …(60kg) and at the same time improving the weight and balance …..

Evening Hawkeye,

Don’t forget to post some pics of the boat....
Hope it is coming together as planned

Bet your keen to wet her Hull and put some fish in the hatches this coming Easter...