Author
Topic: World Records Distance Casting  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 68
  • Gonubie
Re: World Records Distance Casting
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 11:09:58 am »
 :crzy Jaaa...but do they catch fish??..and probably casting over the fish by a gazillion meters... w;k :hyst: :hyst:
Just GO FISH!!!

Online MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 196
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 01:12:13 pm »
 :hyst: just looks cool when you throw further than the oke next to you on the beach , but then when he gets all the bites its not so funny ... :hyst:

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 02:24:34 pm »
:hyst: just looks cool when you throw further than the oke next to you on the beach , but then when he gets all the bites its not so funny ... :hyst:
:hyst: :hyst: :rotfl
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Kes

• Cred: 0
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 03:05:56 pm »
:crzy Jaaa...but do they catch fish??..and probably casting over the fish by a gazillion meters... w;k :hyst: :hyst:

Previous record holder, Danny Moeskops proved that he can fish as well as he can cast.

Offline Kes

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 03:13:51 pm »

What must be remembered is that field casting and fishing are two different things. Some, like me, will take up field casting to learn how to improve my technique on the beach but then once you cross a certain threshold, the stuff you do on the field can't be done on the beach/rocks eg: there is no way you can do a conventional overhead or OTG cast when wading in hip deep or higher water so you have to learn a overhead cast on the in-swing in order to get your bait out a reasonable distance.

Being able to cast further is always good ammo to have in your arsenal. Like I always say, rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I suppose that rule doesn't apply to fishing tackle though..

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 05:01:36 pm »

What must be remembered is that field casting and fishing are two different things. Some, like me, will take up field casting to learn how to improve my technique on the beach but then once you cross a certain threshold, the stuff you do on the field can't be done on the beach/rocks eg: there is no way you can do a conventional overhead or OTG cast when wading in hip deep or higher water so you have to learn a overhead cast on the in-swing in order to get your bait out a reasonable distance.

Being able to cast further is always good ammo to have in your arsenal. Like I always say, rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I suppose that rule doesn't apply to fishing tackle though..
:-) As they say in the classics...different strokes for different folks ...in my case I prefer practising in the sea...on the odd occasion I catch a fish ..BONUS...see things other people only watch on Discovery channel ...Ive never really understood casting distance competions...but thats me.. :fshn: :fshn:
Just GO FISH!!!

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 221
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 08:09:36 pm »

:-) As they say in the classics...different strokes for different folks ...in my case I prefer practising in the sea...on the odd occasion I catch a fish ..BONUS...see things other people only watch on Discovery channel ...Ive never really understood casting distance competions...but thats me.. :fshn: :fshn:

Heck of a drive for a practice seasion for those who don't live at the sea

Offline Kent

• Ultimate member
  • Gonubie
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 09:16:30 am »

Heck of a drive for a practice seasion for those who don't live at the sea
:shk :shk WHAT??...you mean there are people that DONT live by the sea??..Haai shem... :hehe:
Just GO FISH!!!

Online MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 196
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 09:30:33 am »
 :rotfl :rotfl the sea .. !! whats that ...?? :hyst: :hyst:

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 05:43:32 pm »
Going for grass carp, sand sharks and veld fish tomorrow in Potch.
I don't expect too much as I am WAY out of form, maybe I'll get a bite at 200m with a grass seed imitation
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 05:43:59 pm by fishatic »

Offline Socrates

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2019, 02:20:37 pm »
Hello. Thank you for sharing. I confess that although I am not great at it, I do enjoy casting more than fishing. This has helped me become a better fisherman than many of my comrades; to their envy.

I noticed that the combos used must be commercially available, does this mean that they are standard or can they be customized and modified?

What limitations are there for the upgrades, if any?

Are there any clinics or clubs in SA for long distance casting or does one have to follow the provincial league pathway?

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2019, 07:45:35 pm »

Send me an email (click on my profile, should show details)
We can talk.

I will have a chat to the chairman of the long distance crowd and see if he knows of anyone in the EC you could approach for help/coaching. Its a small band of lunatics you see...
Rods and reels are commercially available yes.

Rods can vary from insane costs, say R12k for a blank only (really) down to rods most can afford and cast really well. 

What 13' - 14'6" rods have you got NOW, chances are you don't need to buy anything?

Reels, most being based on or are variations of the venerable ABU Ambassadeur design.

ABU: Ambassadeur 5500/6500 C3 stripped of level wind, cleaned and lightly lubed standard spool bearings and a well set up mono mag will cast VERY far, or (and they are available here, I have seen them at Pure Fishing) the Blue Yonder or if you can find one a Rocket.

Akios: Shuttle or Tourno, superb with amazing out of the box performance. 

Omoto: Chief or Chief Extreme. Identical to Akios and cheaper, same amazing out of the box performance. 

Daiwa: Millionaire M7HTMAG / expensive and a little twitchy regarding mag control.

Zzeta - awesome, but very costly and the spool is the really important bit and the spools fit Ambassadeurs/Omoto/Akios anyway. 

Reel size used is dependent on sinker weight, typically 5000 size for 100g and 125g with 6000 size being used for 150g and 175g (I use the 5000 size for 100g, 125g and 150g)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:08:46 pm by fishatic »

Offline Socrates

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2019, 08:43:05 am »
Good day Fishatic

Thank you for the detailed response. I have emailed you.

:tkx: