Author
Topic: Bottom fishing weights Richards bay  (Read 675 times)

Offline Hendrik

• Cred: 0
Bottom fishing weights Richards bay
« on: January 21, 2019, 12:37:59 pm »
I am a newbie. I did my category E licence last year and are currently looking to buy a small boat for the bay and 1 mile offshore. I am mostly going to do bottom fishing and would like to know what size weights and hook sizes I must get to do bottom fishing with for the distance I can go.

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
Re: Bottom fishing weights Richards bay
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 01:42:02 pm »
 :welc: Hendrik , lotsa guys on this forum fish :fshn: :fshn: :fshn:  your area , am sure they will help . :uarocks    :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline nabeel6061

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:23:03 pm »
Not sure on the exact weights you require..
But I've noticed that many of the local charters here use pieces of rebar (Y32 for eg) with a single or half a chain-link welded to the top. They say it's a much much cheaper and if you're broken off on a reef, you know it will rust away and not be a permanent feature on the reef.

Offline shu vawda

• Cred: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 04:20:39 pm »
Welcome to ultimate angling.with a category e licence you will not be fishing deep(generally).for this a 16ounce sinker should surfice.For traces it will depend what you will be targeting.In the winter months out off richards bay you can target daga's.search the forum and you will find traces for the different target species.

a genral bottom trace will consist of the following:

- i like to use a 50cm sinker snoot attached to a 3 way swivel.
- on to the same 3 way swivel, a 30cm hook snoot with a bigger hook(6/0 to 9/0)
- repeat the process above attaching as many hooks that you would like but going smaller on the hooks(2/0 to 4/0)

Hope this helps.

Offline emjay

• Cred: 16
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 01:43:52 pm »
Welcome! I hope you have a great time fishing off your future boat

I've fished the shallow reefs off Richards Bay a lot and I like using lighter tackle than your conventional bottom fishing rig. It's a lot more fun and you'll be surprised at how strong lighter tackle actually is

I like 50 pound braid on a 7 inch Scarborough reel (KP). The braid is awesome for bite detection. For a leader I'll use about 3m of 0.60mm clear nylon. You want that leader because you'll rub your line against the reef. The rod I use is a Purglass 200/2. It's about 6ft long and is perfect for how I fish shallow reefs. Any good quality rod with a rating of 12 to 15kg is fine

My trace consists of a three hook trace that are attached to 3x three way swivels. I forget the size, I know the size by site and not number. I'll have a look when I'm home from work

Top swivel attaches to your leader. Hook trace on one end of the swivel is about 15 to 20cm long with a thickness of 0.50mm of clear nylon. Hook on top is a no. 2 to 1/0 hook that usually has a pink prawn or small piece of sardine of squid on it

Attach a 30 to 35cm length of 0.60mm nylon to the top swivel that goes to your middle swivel. The hook on this is usually a 2/0 to 4/0 and the hook trace is 15 to 20cm long 0.60mm clear nylon. This middle hook usually has a squid and sardine combo on

Add another length of 30 to 35cm of 0.60mm clear nylon from your middle swivel to your bottom swivel. The hook trace is slightly longer at 20 to 25cm of 0.60mm to 0.75mm clear nylon. The hook on the bottom is a 6/0. This hook usually has a squid and sardine head combo on

Your sinker trace is last and attaches to your bottom swivel of course. Here I use a length of 45 to 50cm of 0.50mm nylon and my preferred weight is a 5oz to 8oz sinker

Make sure all hooks are pin sharp. I also like adding a small green glow bead to each hook trace. I've noticed good success when using glow beads

If you want to use fluorocarbon line instead of clear nylon, then great, do it, but I will shed tears if I lost a fluorocarbon rig to thee reef (and you WILL lose tackle!)

I know a lot of people fish heavy tackle for bottom fishing, but that's absolutely no fun when you are fishing and in most cases not needed. I've caught good size fish on the tackle mentioned and it handled it fine and was a lot of fun.

Don't be shy to put a live pinkie, mackerel or shad out on a different rod with a balloon for a patrolling couta while you are  bottom fishing

Bottom fishing is an easy way to catch a meal but please be conscious of your size and bag limits!!!! Our reefs are hammered already. We don't need another chop loading their boat with too many fish and/or undersized fish

I'll try post a tutorial on how my bottom fishing rig looks like when I have a chance
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:48:59 pm by emjay »
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Hendrik

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 11:06:54 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Realy appreciated.