Author Topic: starting Ultra light fishing - what line??  (Read 879 times)

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
starting Ultra light fishing - what line??
« on: December 29, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »
All my offshore tackle and boats are now at the coast  :hehe: need to follow them oneday :-)

So all I have left is my carp set ups which I may use, my  :tgr: setups which I do use, and an urge to get into some ultra light fishing. I have an ultra light Shimano Clarus that I will pair with a Shimano Alivio 1000, and a DAM nanoflex G2 that  will pair with an ancient DAM MDS 625 reel that I have had for years, also a pick of some of my small lures, I lots of small plastics & small jig heads as well.

The question is what line should I load. I would prefer a mono and thinking of Nanofil, is there anything else out there?
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Online John F

• Cred: 518
  • Virtus et Honos
Re: starting Ultra light fishing - what line??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 09:32:45 PM »
Gareth is the UL guru... I'm sure he will sort you out
UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 762
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 12:50:29 PM »
Nanofil is more of a braid hybrid than a mono. It's Very fickle with knots that work. Tried it once and got so frustrated with knots not holding that I eventually binned it.
Mono is not really suitable for Ultra light fishing, because you will miss most of the bites. Braid is essential to feel the light bite of ultra light fish.Any 4-6lb braid will work. I have Fireline on mine... Crystal, Tracer braid or Fireline fused are all fantastic for this form of fishing.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 09:38:30 AM »
I'm using 4lb Nanofil on mine... Had a "whale" of a time catching 50+ juvenile bass yesterday, with only one break off with a slightly over exuberant strike. It is notoriously difficult to knot, but I have had very good success with the FG. I started my spooling with mono, then FG'd to that, the FG'd on a flouro leader. Works pretty well.

I guess what I like about it is that it's so incredibly thin yet transmits the bite so well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:40:10 AM by FishStyx »
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 02:37:49 PM »
As it is a miserable day, it has rained since Sunday Evening, my pool has risen some 70mm but some of that will be run off, I have been looking at reels for my Ultra light set up I have an Alivio 1000 and my old DAM 625, but looking for something else. There is not much around in the 1000 or smaller class,
so I'm considering:

Okuma Ceymar C10
Shimano Sedona 1000
Shimano Exage 1000

The Okuma is a lot cheaper than the Shimanos but spec wise it has more bearings so any one used one?

when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 14
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »
nanofilman myself but not very happy with its longevity, starts to grow fur then can't hold it's fiber fusion. i'm sure everyone has experienced the bad on nanofil but still is a great line to use , does cast a lure a mile away.
although my nanofil has last a long time (only because i have chopped it into small sections, then reverse it when de-molecurlarzation accurs) i'm contemplating dragon nano clear in the near future, only heard it's better than nanofil but that will only be once i have bought a roll myself, also heard it may cost a buffalo or two more (if it's as good as they claim it to be then worth every little cent).
https://www.dragonfishing.co.za/product-page/nano-clear-8

lekka rod that and those reels should do the trick, if running smoothly, they should be knowing mr. Dodger
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:48:07 PM by bassbug »

Offline jonathanw

• Cred: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
Hi Dodger,

I got a ceymar 25 , really smooth, don't believe bearing count they claim 8, but how many of those are actually functional, not bad , price is not too far off from the shimanos though, size wise not much bigger than shimano 1000 size.

Regards

Online WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »
Braid is definitely king, I use 4lb nanofil though and has not let me down as of yet. Sometimes bigger fish come around, so its good to have something a bit "heavier" if I can say it like that...

Offline nabeel6061

• Cred: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 04:25:12 PM »
I recently started ultralight at the harbour and went cheap with a maxreel 500 and mono.
I've used a few different braid and momo setups and will be changing to braid. It's a different game with braid.

Rods for UL, I really enjoy my Berkley cherrywood and Assassin spin.
Reels I've got the cheapie maxreel, daiwa crossfire and ceymar. But if I could do it again, I'd have gone straight for a Shimano Sustain. Brilliant reel for UL

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »
Thanks guys,
it is amazing when you start 'scratching' through your tackle what you find :shk

I have 2 Shimano Clarus 5'-6'' ultra light rods, one ha been repaired :unhap  eldest son  (bat said these aren't very strong and pressed it against the ceiling, but it has been repaired so thats ok.

I also have an 8'-0'' DAM nanoflex G2, plus a couple of Sensation 8'-0'' light bass rods.
On the reel side I found my old DAM 625, Shimano Alivio 1000, Fenwick 1000, Silstar1000 and a small Daiwa Sivercast closed face reel.
However I did buy an Okuma Ceymar C10 to match the Clarus. :-)

Now Line, I had some Awa Shima Ion Power marine 2,5 kg (0.14dia) which I have loaded onto the Ceymar. The DAM is loaded with Fireline fused crystal 8lb. Still thinking about the others.

For leaders I have used some of my old fly fishing tippets so almost ready to go

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:12:04 PM by dodger »

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 52
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »
"Now Line, I had some Awa Shima Ion Power marine 2,5 kg (0.14dia) which I have loaded onto the Ceymar."

I tried the Aiwa Shima on my ultralight - I think it was one especially for carp traces, but even thinner than what yours is. For large scale yellows it was perfect as their soft mouths meant no strike was required, but even on medium size kurper I found I had a lot of knot failures on the strike. That was using a back to back uni to tie on a 9 lb fluoro leader, maybe there is a better knot for the leader? When fishing for yellows I don't use a leader.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:07:22 AM by CRANKMAN »
>('>
                   )<((>
     }<(({>