Author
Topic: Ultimate Saltwater Lure Rod made by Brandon Fishatic  (Read 315 times)

Offline Blinker

• Cred: 0
Ultimate Saltwater Lure Rod made by Brandon Fishatic
« on: December 06, 2018, 10:42:20 pm »
So there is the story about The Ultimate Rod,Brandon the rod builder and happy Blinker.
I was looking for some heavier coffee grinder rod, say in 2-4 oz range for the particular fishing trip to Moz,  shore casting.
Yes, it is on heavy side for me, being poor fly caster  whole my life . Every rod heavier than 100 grams is heavy for me by default.
I've done lots of blinker stuff (lure fishing) as well, but mostly for Trout, Pike, Zander and Asp, so again very light setups.

Thanks to this Board and nice Gentleman from this comunity I come up to Brandon Fishatic, our famous rod builder.

The result is that Brandon, after properly diagnosed my tackle disorder case kindly recommended Black Hole Cape Code Heavy Nano, Popping blank , 10'6",declared lure weight 90-180 gr.
Long name, and even longer rod, since measure tape shows 3.27 m, not 10'6", which I find very cool 😎.

Blank was surprisingly light and alive, crispy, but still showing that authority, hungry to negotiate with big fish.
Power was there, in each inch of that mean looking Nano blank. One can feel that some real fisherman who knows his stuff designed it.

It felt to me a little bit too tip oriented to be honest, but that promising parabolic  action, leading to relaxed casting was hidden there for sure, just waiting to unlock its real nature after rod is fully constructed and there is proper grip to squeeze and reel counterweight to announce that parabolic character.

"Titanium Torzite" guides was Brandon answer when I asked to find me best bloody guides money can buy.
Not only top quality guides per se refined the blank action and feeling.
Main rafinery effect come from Brandon who used his magic to put those ridiculously expensive, even more ridiculously weightless guides in the right spots along the blank, with the stripping guide surprisingly high and almost drastically remote from reel. Don't know how but it works like a charm. Wind knots, bird nests, what was that? It doesn't exist in Brandon guides setup realm. My braids will last for the long, long time.
(He used the same magic when converted my originally dul Sierra Heavy to alive and crisp stick)

Ergo S CRB for reel seat, comfortable, smooth and cool looking reel seat.
Fuji was first option, but discarded for helplessly boring look and some discomfort, which was transfered to comfort by installing Ergo.

Some nice and minimalistic "Eva sponge"(?) for rod handle, pulling part above reel and bottom, and hop, specs has been agreed.

Few of days waiting for parts to arrive from USA didn't look so long since Brandon temporarily installed his own guides and reel seat on the blank so i can cast and get used on the rod action and weight.

For casting on the real water , I had to go to prison :-)!
Some guys from the UA will know what I am talking about.

After few casts, we realized that comfort zone is from 2-4 ounces, with 75-90 grams being optimal, fricking crispy and smooth action with that charming no-need to force the rod to do anything at all . With minimal flick, lure will fly to another side of the prison lake, followed by nasty loud music from the inmates visitors cars.

Yes, I tried 1.5 Oz, no problem, as well I tried 150 gram, but with caution, again no problem.
All in all, for my style of shore casting, I will not use anything heavier than 120 g or 4 oz, but will stay in that +- 75 -90 gr comfort zone, with big Thanks coming from my old bones and muscles.

The reel, yes the reel. It took me a good two weeks to decide, and decision was Stella SW 8000 HG. Again Brandon helped me saying 8 k is better option than 14 k. He was right 100%,since fourteen feels bulky and out of rod balance somehow,even only 25 grams heavier.
This 8 k is simply a long awaited soul mate for this rod both visually and balance and size wise.

The perfect couple, like from disgusting Hollywood movies 🤢 😂

The result is an awesome, classy looking rod capable of throwing small plugs in 2 Oz, and launch nasty poppers weighted 4 ounces and 20 cm long stick baits with elegant and arogant easiness right up to the sky and beyond horizon.

That sexy parabolic action was released and becomes alive once the rod completed. Very fresh action I would say, tip if you want, and deep to the grip handle if you like, depending on lure and amount of power and casting style introduced in casting stroke.

Pure casting charm!

Ok, it looks to me like I like this rod, so let cut this self bragging tackle disorder Sh** , and announce the final result : this bloody Black Hole rod made by Brandon Fishatic is only 315 grams in weight!

If I put the lighter reel than that Stella 8 k animal, I can cast it whole day, as easy as my Sierra Heavy, 1.5 oz rod.
But, I will not do that. Stella will stay, this stick and that reel are for the big boys, let leave it like that.

GT doesn't forgive and doesn't have mercy. Neither I, neither my setup and neither Brandon, the Maestro who build it, thank you man!

Photos will follow, maybe not only with tackle, but with some nice fish if I get lucky enough in the next week or so .

Hells Gate disturbing waters deserve this rod, that was the idea and target from the start of this exciting project.
On the end, this rod has been constructed having in mind  those wild waves, attacking poor beach caster from all possible directions, except maybe from behind, during Hells Gate pushing and ongoing tides.

To be continued... .

Cheers
Blinker

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:37:44 pm by Blinker »

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 753
Re: Ultimate Saltwater Lure Rod made by Brandon Fishatic
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:12:55 am »
 :win: Great post!

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:00:07 am »
Lovely... Looking fwd to the pics.

I also have the BH Nano 10'6... Also got it for Hell's gate but tragedy struck 3 weeks before my trip with a rotator cuff tear, so I never got to use it! I was planning on using my Stella 10. Anyhow, had the surgery in June this year and my shoulder is now up to it, so I'm looking to do a surf popping trip soon. Also in my arsenal will be my Turbulance Shore Game.

Brandon doesn't yet know it, but he's about to build me a PE5/6 baitcaster  :clwn
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Blinker

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 07:28:03 pm »
Thanks Reefman.

FishStyx, the world is so smal, I see you.
Wish you fast recovery and maybe we find each other on the Inhaca or Santa Maria Beach.
PS
I will not tell Brandon about your new rod  :zipit:

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 10
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 01:06:31 pm »
Don't fret Zoran, I know who built the Turbulence Shoregame for FishStyx - a very good friend of mine..
Lovely rod that.
I'll post some pics of my new Black Hole 11' 3/4-4oz spinner and my new 11' 1-4 baitcaster for a Tranx 400.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:06:52 pm by fishatic »

Offline Blinker

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 08:27:00 pm »
Spent two hours casting on the prisoner's lake, just before the storm.

I don't know if this is about influence of correctional bussines around that lake, but I have to correct my self.

Sweet spot for this BH Nano popping rod is not 75-90 grams as I thought, it is a little bit more, say 90-110  grams.

For metal jiggs and plugs it will be probably near 120 grams, will find that tomorrow.

Yes, had a few nice comments from inmate visitors.

The best one was :
"Madala, put some meat on that lures if you want to catch fish 🐠"

To be continued.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 08:56:02 am »
Don't fret Zoran, I know who built the Turbulence Shoregame for FishStyx - a very good friend of mine..
Lovely rod that.
I'll post some pics of my new Black Hole 11' 3/4-4oz spinner and my new 11' 1-4 baitcaster for a Tranx 400.

Howzit bud. Found 2 Major Craft rods for my Tranx 400... A 7'6 and an 8'8... Both absolutely beautiful and they chuck a spinner a mile. The Tranx handles so incredibly well casting distance. So then I found a Tranx 500... Now I need a stick for it  :-) I'm thinking PE5 or 6 and 8-9' ... Any blanks in mind?  :hnthnt:
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 10:29:28 am »
3 weeks before my trip with a rotator cuff tear, so I never got to use it!  Anyhow, had the surgery in June this year and my shoulder is now up to it,
Sorry for the hijack...  :blush:
I'm going in on Friday, same thing and also complete calcification of the tendons. Fill me in on what to expect please Martin?? I've heard it's a painful op?
How long were you out of action?   Fanks. Not looking forward to it... :-( :toppie:

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 11:30:28 am »
Oh wow Tony... That sucks. Sorry to hear.

Yeah, it's bloody painful and 6 months down the line, after toeing it quite well, I'm a whole lot better than before the op. Main thing is... I can cast!!!  :happ:

Don't want to bore everyone here nor hijack any further so I'll give you a ring and talk you through some of the more salient points of the surgery. I also can offer you my sling if you haven't already got one. I'll be down in the smoke on Wednesday.

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 05:26:15 pm »
3 weeks before my trip with a rotator cuff tear, so I never got to use it!  Anyhow, had the surgery in June this year and my shoulder is now up to it,
Sorry for the hijack...  :blush:
I'm going in on Friday, same thing and also complete calcification of the tendons. Fill me in on what to expect please Martin?? I've heard it's a painful op?
How long were you out of action?   Fanks. Not looking forward to it... :-( :toppie:

Not so bad Reefz, I had my right shoulder tear re-attached and the  :toppie: zimers calcification cleaned out, Operated in October 2017 and ready to play golf in feb 2018 until I fell and fractured some ribs. :-(
The physio can be hard yards but grin & bear it, sleeping can be a problem with the sling on, eventually you will do away with the padding that keeps your arm away from the body

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:31:16 pm by dodger »
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 07:51:30 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys, and sorry again for the Hijack!  :blush:

PS: Flippin awesome setup Blinker! Jealous as heck! 

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening