Author
Topic: Destination 2019?  (Read 443 times)

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 8
Destination 2019?
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:29:55 am »
Hi Guys,

Need some advice/ assistance/ suggestions please.

We are booked for a Lazarus Banks trip in November 2019, however, costs have increased by 25% compared to our last trips, so we are trying to keep options open and looking elsewhere for similar opportunities.

Popping and jigging makes up most of the action on the boat, however, we are open to other methods of fishing as well (using the same tackle though). Any suggestions of destinations in the R20k pp range?

I have tabled some options:

1. Kwanza lodge Angola - Tarpon, giant threadfin, Jack Cravelle etc..
2. Struisbaai - family holiday with foshing for Yellowtail and YFT in December.
3. Red sea Egypt?
4. Kenya?
5. Tanzania?

Offline Serra Moz

• Cred: 12
Re: Destination 2019?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 08:39:21 am »
Gabon / Madagascar, have have a look?????  You never know.... ??? Keep me (us) updated on deals.

Cheers
Happy days!

Offline The Herbmeister

• Cred: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 11:11:02 am »
Howzit ... you may be able to pick up decent value here in Tanzania. Lodges are desperate for business so suggest you negotiate hard with them for an all in package

Kilwa producing decent fish

Get hold of the guys at Mwangaza Hideaway. Eddie Howe (who manages the Lodge) and Henry Jones. Both in Dar es Salaam but they will be more than happy to accommodate your party

eddie.howe@bostonandchance.com
henry@theslowleopard.com

Another alternative is JJ and Mady. http://fishingtanzania.20m.com/0.html/

Good luck!

Offline tkei

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 89
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 01:08:36 pm »
Have a look at kenya.
Usually a bill/ gamefish destination, but I have jigged successfully there aswell. GT and Amberjack being main target, but got snapper and grouper/ rock cod as well as cuda and other kingfish species.
Popping starting to take off there as well. If one style not working, there is always another style or species to target.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:11:40 pm by tkei »

Offline tkei

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 89
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 01:13:00 pm »

Offline DownUnder

• Cred: 4
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 11:43:32 am »
 Kwanza.. the kingfish are phenomenal. Shawn Mey the guide from Mosselbay had 120 of them over a five day trip he did with a group of anglers recently. Sizers too. And tarpon up to 120kg. Great variety of quality fish. The environment is an added bonus.

Itís on my bucket list for sure
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:48:55 am by DownUnder »
Men go fishing all their lives.. not realizing it is not fish they are after

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 8
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 09:48:31 am »
Thanks guys, we met over the weekend and discussed some options.

I like the Kenya and Kwanza idea, but the guys are still hell bent on Lazarus Banks.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 10:06:48 am »
I'm keen to try Watamu as a next destination... Both my Laz trips have ended in lost fishing days and running away from bad weather. Biggest problem with Laz is there is absolutely nowhere to hide if the weather Gods throws you a curve ball. The run back to the islands is a full day and a boat load of fuel (literally), and getting back to the banks after a blow out is a tall order.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline liquidity

• Cred: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 11:19:50 am »
We did Mafia, Tanzania last year, and worked our arses off for very little fish, and the boats weren't great. The year before was Maldives. Fishing so,so and expensive. We did Vilanculos this year and had some of the most fun we've ever had. The cost was reasonable, accommodation was great, and the fishing fantastic. Chat to Morgan O'Kennedy. Our trip was roughly within your budget.

I wouldn't bother with Struisbaai in December for a serious fishing trip. For a family holiday it's incredible, but the chaos around the offshore fishing spoils it for me. Shore based fishing is great around December but it requires a fairly good knowledge of the area. The queues in the harbour start at 3am and it could take you up to 2 hours to launch, the same with getting off the water. At the fishing grounds it's chaos and the commercials are clear about who's boss. I'd rather wait until Feb and target the Alphard banks for yellowfin, yellowtail and marlin. Great time of year. fantastic shore and offshore fishing, and If you can organise it, arrange a liveaboard to keep you in the Alphards for a few days.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 11:25:53 am »
We did Vilanculos this year and had some of the most fun we've ever had. The cost was reasonable, accommodation was great, and the fishing fantastic. Chat to Morgan O'Kennedy. Our trip was roughly within your budget.

Which areas did you cover with Morgan? Is he still based at Big Blue (or whatever the yard is called)... Did you get to fish Linene area?
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline 2ebba

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 04:45:26 pm »
I've been fishing in Kenya for the past 2 years between Malinda and Lamu  90% popping and Jigging  for me if you are targeting GT groupers Amber jacks Kenya is number 1  the biggest GT :gt:  landed was 65+ on Jigging and popper 40+  average landed fish for 3 anglers on a boat around 20 to 40  and at the same time they do trolling for sail fish and  marlin 
cost around 500$usd to 600$ to charter a boat the best in kingfisher captin Angus Paul +254721832803  email kingfisherfishing@gmail.com

a teaser for my last 2 trips in Kenya :
https://youtu.be/jQUGK035O8U

Full documentary:
https://youtu.be/UU7e4DczSBI

tide lines

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 05:23:56 pm »
 :welc:  Welcome to UA... Will be watching the vid tonight. Thanks for the info.

Offline liquidity

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 03:25:06 pm »
Which areas did you cover with Morgan? Is he still based at Big Blue (or whatever the yard is called)... Did you get to fish Linene area?

We pretty much did the entire Benguera, Bazaruto and Linene side. Bazaruto was fairly quiet, but the majority of our action came from Linene and to the south of Magaruque. We caught countless jobbies on the pinacles around the Linene reefs, and got a nice 38kg GT in deeper water. Dead bait behind the boat while jigging produced most of the couta and wahoo. We ended up chasing schools of greenspot kingies up and down the surfline for a good 4/5 hours. Huge amount of fun and frustration. The surface fish eluded us on this trip but got a handful of follows and smashes. Sharks were an absolute pest. We lost a lot of jigs, so for anyone going, buy plenty cheap 2-5oz jigs and bucktails. Leave the Zest, and other expensive jigs at home.

Yes, he's still based at Big Blu. We stayed at Vila La Mar next door to him. Well priced, clean, and fairly comfortable, and convenient. He runs a great operation and nothing is an issue to organize. He really looks after his guests.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:26:02 pm by liquidity »