Author Topic: Total Novice  (Read 313 times)

Online SurfnTurf

• Cred: 0
Total Novice
« on: November 04, 2018, 07:43:31 pm »
Hello awesome people!

So I've decided to take a plunge into the world of fishing, being well aware that I know absolutely nothing.

Short background: My family are not really the social, outdoorsy type, not sure where I fell of the wagon... Business graduate, ecology student and a hunting & outdoor nut. I spend as much time hunting or hiking as I can, recently came to my attention (thanks to my ladyfriend) that I'm missing out not being part of the rod and reel family, so I'm hoping you guys can possibly help us out with advice or suggestions?

We currently live in pretoria, so freshwater is definitely the main focus. I was looking at buying a basic set up and learning through experience, but I don't even know where to start...

I'm going to keep reading up about our watersystems and river ecology, but that will come with time.

I'm hoping to do a bit of bait and lure fishing, so a rod for each of us for each dicipline was our original aim. Beyond that I have no idea what works in RSA waters. I have read a huge amount about bass fishing in the US, but theory only gets you so and I doubt that info will be too applicable here.

I know we have grass carp and various barbel species, as well as bass and a few trout, but what else do anglers usually target?

Lastly, I've read stuff here on the forum and on others regarding what a newbie needs, but any more advice would be appreciated. My start up budget is R2.5k, if that helps?

Excited to learn! TIA

Offline Searaider

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 37
Re: Total Novice
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 09:38:09 pm »
 :welc:

Offline brucec

• Who Dares Wins
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 07:46:10 am »
 :welc: I suggest you visit All Out Angling in Centurion: 012 653 4294. A bunch of really helpfull guys who will assist you.

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 50
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:18:51 am »
Welcome to UA.
>('>
                   )<((>
     }<(({>

Offline Willie

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 237
  • Ultimate Novice
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 05:10:57 pm »
 :welc:  enjoy your stay.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 37
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 06:02:48 pm »
Make a plan on Saturday, and pop in to the Ultimate Social at Leeukop Prison Dam, and meet the guys (well, some of them)

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 19
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 11:22:46 pm »
Good plan! and they wont be trying to sell you stuff either!

Try find a good trout farm, its like shooting fish in a barrel..great to get the fishing bug bit. Also find a place that holds good bass and befriend some bass anglers to show you the ropes. Nothing ignites a fishing fire like sight or structure hunting fish that are game for a lure. Bass are easy once you figure them out..and they fight like demons for their size and in the kind of places you hook them its a nice action packed challenge. There is too much to start to try to tell a complete novice how to fish, learn a few knots, get some local books, dont buy too much gear you wont use, and get the basics right first and pick a fish and focus on that until you figure it out, then pick another, then slowly it will all come clear and you will link more dots and widen the horizons. Also never underestimate the value of a good fishing guide or charter. You can learn more in one day with the right person than you would in a decade on your own with books and keyboard fishermen like us. ;) Of all the hundred knots you will end up learning, you will probably end up using only a handful or less. That is the guide or pro's value. They have been through it all already and sometimes a generation or two before..Don't waste your time and enjoy yourself. The most important tip is to put your right bait(or lure) in front of a target fish, that is feeding. Most that you have to learn relates to doing that successfully and how. Most of the rest relates to playing and actually landing the fish and the last bit you have to learn is the conservation so you can keep on having the stupid amounts of fun that you've just spent the time figuring out actually exists and people were having unbeknown to you all along. :)
Last remember always that a bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office, fresh air and being outdoors is priceless, catch or no catch.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:25:48 pm by Visenvryheid »

Online SurfnTurf

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 07:44:24 pm »
Awesome! Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions, will definitely go to leeukop once I'm up and running, going to go off to "all out angling" this weekend! Really amped, can't wait to get up and running. Anyone willing to suggest good spots for trout or bass near pretoria that I could visit? Also, if there's anyone willing to give me a crash course on basic fishing knowledge (what to look for, how to do things and so on) I'm able to provide meat and beer as a thanks...

Thanks to all!

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 19
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 10:51:25 pm »
No mate think you misunderstand, this weekend social is a once off affair..try make it?

I don't stay close..to any people! LOL But you will meet guys from here, there, that you can learn from..bring beer and meat..

https://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=23217.0

Online SurfnTurf

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:27:45 am »
Oooooh, you're right, I didn't understand :P Thanks for the clarification, we shall be there!