Author
Topic: What hooks for small conas?  (Read 463 times)

Offline Fishlus Mark

• Cred: 4
What hooks for small conas?
« on: October 02, 2018, 07:01:03 am »
A while back I got a very nice wide gape hook Mustad 9510 stainless steel siwash style hook that comes in from 4/0 to big.

I can't seem to find them so I'm looking for something similar for my small conas.
What do you guys use or suggest?

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 335
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
Re: What hooks for small conas?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 12:02:42 pm »
If you fishing up to 50lb main line then the Mustad stainless sailfish hooks are definitely your best bet on smaller konas.
Am not sure how small your Konas actually are, if you post a pic next to a ruler then I can advise you better
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 11:15:39 pm »
The code for those Mustad hooks is 95160 SS, I am sure Kingfisher has them in stock.
The 95160 has a closed eye so is better for rigging Konas than the 9510 that has an open eye
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:32:07 pm by Capt. Hook »
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za

Offline Bwana

• Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 206
  • Deep Blue Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 02:33:15 pm »
You can also check out the new range of Kajiki hooks by BKK, they are designed for use with smaller size kona's

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 10:48:09 am »
You can also check out the new range of Kajiki hooks by BKK, they are designed for use with smaller size kona's
Are these stainless? I don't like using non stainless on konas because they rust and stain the skirts

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 5
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 06:33:09 pm »
If you Rigging Konas I would use Mustad 7691ss.....sharpen them up a bit and they potent! Those BKK Kajiki are excellent hooks, but when you fish light gauge hooks, you have to be very active on the Drag and your Drag has to be set correctly else you will open them. If you rigging Strip baits behind Chugger Heads and small Illanders etc, i would also use 95160's. Thats my 2c worth!

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 07:14:36 pm »
I think it's important to rig your Kona according to the drag settings you are using and your line class, you can run a Kona on 30lb tackle rigged with light gauge hooks like the 95160 (which I would never use on more than 8kg drag), but you can run that same Kona on 80lb and rig it with heavier hooks like the 7732. The gape of your hook must always be the same or slightly larger than the head of your Kona.

So when rigging a Kona your line class (drag setting) is the important factor when deciding on a hook to use and not the size of the Kona, after all you can catch a big fish on a small Kona.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:16:11 pm by Capt. Hook »

Offline Fishlus Mark

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 08:23:56 am »
The code for those Mustad hooks is 95160 SS, I am sure Kingfisher has them in stock.
The 95160 has a closed eye so is better for rigging Konas than the 9510 that has an open eye

Thanks, I got the number a little wrong, mine is a closed style hook. It's the same style hook that Pulsator is fitting to their new sailfish range, BM told me it was a Mustad Salmon hook, when I did the google search it matched the siwash style closed hook. For the life of me I can't remember what brand it is but they have a nice wide gape and come in sizes 4/0, 5/0, 6/0. Mine might not be a Mustad because other brands also make the siwash style hook. I fish 30lb outfits and they work really well. I'm not sure if the 95160 come in those sizes.

Offline Fishlus Mark

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 08:25:35 am »
If you Rigging Konas I would use Mustad 7691ss.....sharpen them up a bit and they potent! Those BKK Kajiki are excellent hooks, but when you fish light gauge hooks, you have to be very active on the Drag and your Drag has to be set correctly else you will open them. If you rigging Strip baits behind Chugger Heads and small Illanders etc, i would also use 95160's. Thats my 2c worth!
I looked at the BKK hooks but they don't have that nice wide gape.