Author
Topic: Lead lures  (Read 920 times)

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 80
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
Lead lures
« on: September 21, 2018, 09:35:02 pm »
After making soft plastic lures for some time noe, I suppose it was inevitable that I would make some jig-heads some time or another, enter the NED-rig, two styles of shakey head jigs, an “under spin” jig and the swimjig.

The NED-rigs, actually I ended up making three molds for different weights.

One mold for the ball and flat base shakey Head jigs.

One mold for the “under spin” jigs.

The swimjig, just one mold. (Currently toolpathing a slightly smaller jighead that will take a 4/0 hook instead of the current 5/0 mold/jig)

Got some proper weed guards and added a trailer keeper (locking) wire at the bottom.

Then I got some powder paints and started to give them some color.

Already sold some of each and it seems that the store thinks they’re quite good.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
Re: Lead lures
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 09:39:28 pm »
This is the trailer keeper wire on the swim jigs and the other colour (first is a pearl white) that seems to be very popular being the black and blue.

I also ended up making a twin tail grub styled trailer for the swim jigs but haven’t taken a picture of that. It has a rather aggressive kick as the tails has an elevated ridge that puts much more drag on it than the usual flat tailed grubs.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 09:42:20 pm »
The iPad’s camera loses a huge of ammount of detail and colour, perhaps some pic in sunlight would show this much better, will take pics 2morrow of the swim jigs and the NED-rigs at least, perhaps the underspin too.

Offline soupcan

• Cred: 3
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 04:21:53 pm »
Very nice!  Well done on creating the mold for the jigs - did you mill the mold from aluminum or cast it in clay?

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 05:12:01 pm »
Very nice!  Well done on creating the mold for the jigs - did you mill the mold from aluminum or cast it in clay?

Thanx man, I milled it with my home built CNC machine.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:12:30 pm by LGF »

Offline coop

• Cred: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 02:09:30 pm »
Looks good LGF....

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 10:56:47 am »
Thanx, figured out some things wrt paint etc etc and they look a whole better now and are also much much more durable.

Saw a spike in sales at the shop I supply and now I’m in trouble as I only had so many hooks to make them, will place an order for new supplies as soon as SARS did there thing duh  and then the BIG wait starts. Takes max 3 days from packaging in the US to the Post office sorting facility at ORTIA, then the quickest it gets to our post office is 3 weeks.

Offline soupcan

• Cred: 3
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 12:52:28 pm »
What have you figured out with paint?  I have also recently started casting jig heads, with a shop bought Do-It mold.  I spent ages deciding which mold to buy and in the end chose one that could produce ¾, 1, 1¼, 1½oz lead jig heads that could be used for soft plastics, or making jig heads.  The mold also makes provision for inserting underspins  - but I'm not going to bother with that for now.

I then bought a wig from the Chinese shop and some colourful hair inserts and also made a quick crude bobbin - and it works just fine.  My first attempt was UGLY.  Then I tied a nicer one, and then I dipped a few in epoxy powder, using a heat gun to make the powder stick.  My last few are looking good and shape quite nicely in the water too.  Now to go and test them!

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 50
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 04:09:01 pm »
Those look pretty damn good Soupcan.  (clap)
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 09:06:31 am »
What have you figured out with paint?  I have also recently started casting jig heads, with a shop bought Do-It mold.  I spent ages deciding which mold to buy and in the end chose one that could produce ¾, 1, 1¼, 1½oz lead jig heads that could be used for soft plastics, or making jig heads.  The mold also makes provision for inserting underspins  - but I'm not going to bother with that for now.

I then bought a wig from the Chinese shop and some colourful hair inserts and also made a quick crude bobbin - and it works just fine.  My first attempt was UGLY.  Then I tied a nicer one, and then I dipped a few in epoxy powder, using a heat gun to make the powder stick.  My last few are looking good and shape quite nicely in the water too.  Now to go and test them!

Soup

I got powder paint from the US called Pro-Tec, All I do is heat up the lead jig/head/rig with a lighter a bit, dip it in the powder (quick) remove shake off the excess powder, let it cool off. Once I have plenty, its time to test the wife's patience, as I have to cure the heads in the oven @ 176deg for about 20 minutes. When this is done the paint is virtually "chip proof" as was evident with a swimjig that I seemingly yanked too hard when it bumped into something sharp making me think it was a bite. The sharp object actually cut through the paint into the lead without chipping the paint, no paint damage around the border of the cut.

Never heard of epoxy powder and not sure about the processes to cure that, nor the durability of the covering, but those look very good! I also bought a "Do-It" mold some years ago with more or less the same weight options albeit the heads is the shape of small fish including a tapered tail section, think it was called a "Bucktail" jig and it works very well. Recently hauled that out from underneath all the other molds and started making spinnerbaits with those heads and they swim very well. Only issue is getting .8mm or 1mm thick stainless wire without having to buy a 600m roll.

Offline Kes

• Cred: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 10:13:53 am »

Awesome stuf man.. (clap)