Author
Topic: Berkley Whiplash Diameter  (Read 767 times)

Offline Kes

• Cred: 0
Berkley Whiplash Diameter
« on: September 14, 2018, 11:17:29 am »
I did a quick search to see if this was discussed  before but came up short. So Berkley web page provides the following diameters for the  Whiplash braid;

20lb – 0.06mm
30lb – 0.10mm
50lb – 0.18mm
65lb – 0.20mm
80lb – 0.25mm
100lb – 0.28mm
150lb – 0.30mm
200lb – 0.35mm

So the question is, are these diameters accurate? I  have been reading up and a lot of people on the interwebs seem to  think and complain that the diameter is not accurate and also very far away  from what Berkley says it is.

My Trini 30A takes 500m of 50lb so I am inclined to believe the  ratings. Curious to know what the thoughts of others are on this  especially the guys that use Whiplash.

Offline HennieB

Re: Berkley Whiplash Diameter
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 12:58:08 pm »
Tackle Box line test, just scroll down to the braid section.

http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/pdfs/line_tests_issue11b.pdf

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:58:46 pm by HennieB »

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 753
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 01:54:01 pm »
So those diameters you list there are for the newer Whiplash 8 strand casting braid. The old 4 strand braid is the one we've been using for backing on multipliers for donkeys years now, is stated 0.17mm for 50lb.

The diameter of different braids has been the subject of controversy for many years. So if you take Whiplash old and wind it onto a multiplier reel tightly, the stuff does indeed mic at .17 -.20 depending on how tight you put it on, and who is doing the measuring and how. Taken straight off the spool from the shop, it will mic at 0.2-0.3. Now all this is pure conjecture and speculation because it is proven to be VERY difficult to measure the diameter of braid consistently, because it is rarely perfectly round. Only way to do it properly is with laser tech and take an average over a length.

Bottom line, there are lots of haters when it comes to old Whiplash and the diameter, but the proof is in the pudding and it's stood the test of time, with most league anglers over the last 10 years using Whiplash as backing on their multiplier Shark reels - because it  was always generally accepted to be the thinnest for strength, and consistent excellent quality that is the norm from Berkley.

Whiplash has landed thousands of tons of Sharks/Rays over the last 10-15years. I personally wouldn't use anything else as backing on a Multiplier.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 10
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 04:14:40 pm »
Excellent line, but the dia's are complete nonsense.
A 50lb line can NEVER EVER EVER EVER have a diameter of 0.17mm in an "unsquahed" state.
It is outside the bounds of the physical properties of HMPE, even the very best most expensive ones, it would need to be manufactured from unobtanium

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 04:56:04 pm »

Offline Kes

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 11:58:10 am »
Most accurate way to measure braid is by mass.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0rt7cbdccq2on7/Latest%20Braid%20Test.xlsx?dl=0

Had a brief look. Seems like Sufix 832 is on the money in respect of stated vs actual diameter. Plus their actual breaking strains far exceeds their ratings..

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 18
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 09:42:50 am »
Rather than go with diameters..go with a brand that has accurate breaking strain, and is of good quality and of a good weave that is a pleasure to cast and fish..A nice coating is a bonus..Then when choosing your correct breaking strain for the application, the diameter you will be using will be spot on.If you compare the strength to weight ratio of the brands in the table, the 832 is pretty kaka/average at 1.6-1.8 ave (60-70%)..most of the ones except yozuri superbraid that seem to reliably get over 2.00 seem to be made from Dyneema brand PE (berkly pro, spiderwire stealth, tuf line xp, j braid etc..) That tells me that the base material is of higher quality than the rest of them aside from yozuri (not said what they use) and the premium brands made with spectra brand PE like Jerry brown which also feature highly. Longevity of line is another important consideration along with castability, 832 I am not a fan of in those 2 areas. The goretex does not last as long as the PE fibres, the weave is ropey and the line is not the best caster. All my other posts regarding this and I recommend HMP, it is not in the list but I'd guess it was right up there having used a bunch on the list. And it is made here, price is right, and made from dyneema...casts like a dream, weave and coating are lovely to cast, loses colour (which I prefer) but lasts a long long time, breaking strain listed is WYSIWYG.

Trying to make heads or tails of the manufacturers marketing and published data will have you going round and round in circles, find a brand that fishes nice, that you like, that suits your pocket and that can be relied upon when you have to pull fish after fish..then stick with it..and then support them for giving you the product you wanted with no more frills or fuss..

So now what mono leader you going to connect to your braid..? A whole other can of worms?! :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:53:47 am by Visenvryheid »

Offline Kes

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 11:36:03 am »
Rather than go with diameters..go with a brand that has accurate breaking strain, and is of good quality and of a good weave that is a pleasure to cast and fish..A nice coating is a bonus..Then when choosing your correct breaking strain for the application, the diameter you will be using will be spot on.If you compare the strength to weight ratio of the brands in the table, the 832 is pretty kaka/average at 1.6-1.8 ave (60-70%)..most of the ones except yozuri superbraid that seem to reliably get over 2.00 seem to be made from Dyneema brand PE (berkly pro, spiderwire stealth, tuf line xp, j braid etc..) That tells me that the base material is of higher quality than the rest of them aside from yozuri (not said what they use) and the premium brands made with spectra brand PE like Jerry brown which also feature highly. Longevity of line is another important consideration along with castability, 832 I am not a fan of in those 2 areas. The goretex does not last as long as the PE fibres, the weave is ropey and the line is not the best caster. All my other posts regarding this and I recommend HMP, it is not in the list but I'd guess it was right up there having used a bunch on the list. And it is made here, price is right, and made from dyneema...casts like a dream, weave and coating are lovely to cast, loses colour (which I prefer) but lasts a long long time, breaking strain listed is WYSIWYG.

Trying to make heads or tails of the manufacturers marketing and published data will have you going round and round in circles, find a brand that fishes nice, that you like, that suits your pocket and that can be relied upon when you have to pull fish after fish..then stick with it..and then support them for giving you the product you wanted with no more frills or fuss..

So now what mono leader you going to connect to your braid..? A whole other can of worms?! :)

I hear you on a lot of things but I should have perhaps clarified my enquiry upfront. The question is around Whiplash for the purpose of using it as backing on a multiplier. All the points you raised around casting and fishing a braid are very valid but in this particular scenario, they are moot cos i'm never going to be casting the Whiplash.

On this point however,

"Trying to make heads or tails of the manufacturers marketing and published data will have you going round and round in circles, find a brand that fishes nice, that you like, that suits your pocket and that can be relied upon when you have to pull fish after fish..then stick with it..and then support them for giving you the product you wanted with no more frills or fuss.."

How do find a brand that fishes nice without buying and trying a few first? And how do you buy without looking at the manufacturers specs first?

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 11:49:21 am »
Whiplash is respected for good reason.
Are the dia's understated? Yes. A lot.
Given that multitudes of anglers have used it in 50lb as a backing and have caught BIG fish, I would say its a good choice.

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 12:02:23 pm »

Had a brief look. Seems like Sufix 832 is on the money in respect of stated vs actual diameter. Plus their actual breaking strains far exceeds their ratings..

832:
Actual dia's are not close to stated. You would need to know that if you want a 50lb braid, if you go for 832 you need to buy the 30lb...
If you want 30lb buy the 15lb.

If you spool up a 5k Shimano with 832 30lb, you will:
1. Not get 300yds on the spool.
2. Casting performance will suck in comparison to say 30lb Gosen.
Me moaning will not change labels.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:03:39 pm by fishatic »

Offline Kes

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 12:07:12 pm »

832:
Actual dia's are not close to stated. You would need to know that if you want a 50lb braid, if you go for 832 you need to buy the 30lb...
If you want 30lb buy the 15lb.

If you spool up a 5k Shimano with 832 30lb, you will:
1. Not get 300yds on the spool.
2. Casting performance will suck in comparison to say 30lb Gosen.
Me moaning will not change labels.

Hahahahaha, you having been moaning about the Sufix ratings for a long time now.  :rotfl

Plus we have seen the difference in casting between the Sufix "30lb" and the HMP 30lb..

Offline Kes

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 01:21:21 pm »
Whiplash is respected for good reason.
Are the dia's understated? Yes. A lot.
Given that multitudes of anglers have used it in 50lb as a backing and have caught BIG fish, I would say its a good choice.

So in your opinion, if the Whiplash is "squashed" tightly onto the spool, does it resemble the stated diameter?

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 01:54:57 pm »
Doubt it. You could compress it to that in the jaws of a micrometer though
But you will get a lot on your Trini.Do you have that you want to use?R2.50 a meter at BM

Offline Kes

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 02:23:29 pm »
Doubt it. You could compress it to that in the jaws of a micrometer though
But you will get a lot on your Trini.Do you have that you want to use?R2.50 a meter at BM

My Trini has 500m of 50lb already. Wanted to put 30lb or 40lb on my Fathom 40. I can get either one for a lot less than R2.50 per meter.

You know when I'm bored I have these thoughts or I just but another rod or reel.. :rotfl

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 10:54:06 pm »
Sorry kes..to answer your original Q, I don't think I have seen a 50lb braid yet that is a real .18mm. Even a dyneema like HMP or import jap braid the 20lb's I am guessing are around there so ja they are giving the standard marketing BS schpeel there..Whether the line is good or not?! Who knows..I haven't used it and not emperical data on that list on it..But use what you have got and for backing fine I am sure 100%. Just stitch nice casting braid topshot if you want or if mono topshot then who cares it'll be just fine I guess. :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:54:37 pm by Visenvryheid »

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 11:01:21 pm »
Sufix mono and high abrasion copolymer mono great, my go to line.. their braid not so hot as far as I have found. HMP braid great, all round, use it for all my stuff except daiwa boat braid in 80lb I use for that as I have a spool a high quality also..80lb braid casts like rope either which brand LOL..Techni perline mono leader for leader is great and dependable in all sizes..Sufix leader k@k, doesn't hold knots well.  Or just go maxima ultragreen like sparra..bulletproof. haha thats what has worked for me..what has not worked is a long list. There you go save yourself the money, tackle retailers and wholesalers are gonna hate me depending on what they stock..I find myself using what the shop with the springbok anglers running it told me to use as after trying a bunch I figure why they use what they use and stock what they stock..it works. And you can rely on it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:06:52 pm by Visenvryheid »

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 11:04:20 pm »
Learn the stitch, use your braid till it is really dead. I have some reels with four different pieces of braid stitched on..does not affect fishing..but I fish mono more these days but glad I figured that in my last days of heavy braid use. Saved me some tom.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 753
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 07:19:56 am »

How do find a brand that fishes nice without buying and trying a few first? And how do you buy without looking at the manufacturers specs first?
You wait for other people to test it first.   w;k Lots of brand ambassadors around these days. Then you speak to the league anglers... they always know what's cuttin' 'n all.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 07:54:24 am »
For years now, I have loved Fireline... It's served me well over the years. Yes, it gets fluffy after some use but it's such strong stuff. On my grinders, I have moved on to softer and more castable braid like Gosen and Tasline, but I started with baitcasters a while back and Fireline works incredibly well on them. I managed to find a few spools on Takealot a few days ago and loaded up some more... It's becoming difficult to find.

Sorry for the hijack  :blush:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:55:16 am by FishStyx »
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.