Author
Topic: Fishing tales aboard MAXIMVS: Choppy seas, YFT and... an alien!  (Read 731 times)

Offline John F

• Cred: 514
My dad's birthday is around the corner and we are planning a big family gathering at his plot in the Tembe river, next weekend. Can't show up without some fish.

So I had the perfect excuse to launch. All I needed was the weather to co-operate. Last Friday's cold front was a bit of a bummer, but immediately after the +30 knots winds, Sunday looked like a pretty decent, fishable day.

Saturday was very cold (Maputo standards!!!!) and I was anxious to see how the weather would turn. All sites kept the smooth forecast. Arranged with by brother to meet at the club at 07h00 and have a look see. If things were not looking great, we would have to go to my dad’s with meat and… chicken!!!!

Launched at 08:15 and as soon as we went past Xefina Is., it was clear that the southerly was blowing a lot more that 6 knots!!!! Initially, I didn’t have a clearly defined plan. The sea conditions would direct us to where we would go. Whilst launching, one of the club staff told me they went spearfishing the week before and only got one rat couta at the northern grounds. Hum… we haven’t had couta for the past 3-4 trips (since March?), so I guess Poço for tuna would have to be…

Off we went and with the choppy seas, we could only do 15-17 knots tops without breaking our backs… as soon as we reached the 20 m line, we deployed the two Makaira 50 outfits for high-speed trolling… standard operating procedure.

About 2 nm before Poço (at about 10h15), the starboard rod screams… my blue/black DIY bullet did its job and a 5 kg  :yft: was hauled in. Good start! No chicken for the braai!!! Yee-ha!

We reeled the Makairas in and set our spread: 2 shorts (x-rap silver and pink speedpro), one medium (Halco max sardine) and a shotgun (bird + daisy chain + a blue DIY kona).

About 10 min later, double strike: the kona and the trusted x-rap silver got two more  :yft: in the same size rage. Not monsters, but they put up a pretty decent fight and are very tasty!!!!

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline John F

Re: Fishing tales aboard MAXIMVS: Choppy seas, YFT and... an alien!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 10:47:03 am »
We went to the northern area of Poço where the tuna have been abundant lately and not a single bite! Nothing there… apart from the humpback whales… everywhere! Actually, as soon as we reach the 20 m depth line, we start seeing them here and there! Pretty cool… and scary too! Lot’s of babies too!   

Did a few rounds and, with the wind still pumping decided to go south and see if the B24-Jeremias area would be a bit more productive.

As I went past the traditional kidney-shaped Poço, a bit to the east, a few birds were working the area… baammm… double strike: pink speedpro and halco max! Two more  :yft: in the boat! Another pass and my DIY kona did its magic again!

Pretty happy! My lures caught 50% of the fish!
We carried on and as soon as we got to the B24 area, we got a few birds with a special interest in our lures. So interested that one got entangle in the line and I had to reel the poor thing in to get it released. I know nothing about birds, but it looks like a Fleshfooted shearwater (Ardenna carneipes)? Can anyone please confirm?

As soon as the bird got into the boat and as I was putting on my glove it got loose and released itself from the line and off it way on its merry way! Good… didn’t want to fiddle with that beak!!!!!

We trolled all the way to Jeremias, and despite a few bait balls here and there no more action (apart for the whales!!!). By 14h00 the sea got really flat and pleasant. A nice end to a bumpy and productive day.

Water is still cold. 18.8-21.7o C, but after the southerly it was really clean.
All in all a good day out... and we will be enjoying a nice family braai with sashimi and seared tuna for starters! Can't beat that!

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 11:33:20 am »
I miss the ocean  :-(

Thanks for the report bud. Always good to get YF in the boat. I'd have eaten one before even docking.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 753
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 11:39:56 am »
Great stuff Marcos!  (clap)

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 5
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 07:43:05 pm »
Nice Marcos, glad there is a bit of life!!

Offline Hammer

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 47
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:30:24 pm »
Very nice Marcos, those little buggers are the tastiest  (clap)

I need to get to the sea soon............................
"HAMMERED".... The Call Of The Brave.

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 11:48:07 am »
Awesome, must love it when there's something for such an occasion.
Great story and thanks for sharing it

Offline L Hooker

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 55
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 02:32:43 pm »
Hey Marcos, im jealous have not wet a line in sometime  (clap)

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 07:29:23 pm »
well done Marcos, Tembe river should hold  :tgr: ?
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline John F

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 08:33:04 am »
well done Marcos, Tembe river should hold  :tgr: ?

Nope. The section we fish is really brackish and estuarine.... part of the Maputo bay system... before that the river is really narrow and doesn't really have much