Author
Topic: My first Moz trip  (Read 988 times)

Offline Standaman

• Cred: 0
My first Moz trip
« on: August 19, 2018, 12:06:58 am »
Howsit guys.
Going on my first Moz trip and its just to go fishing. No wife no kids just fishing.
We will be staying at a friendin Beira that has a boat and loves lure fishing.
Were planning to arrive on the 20th of sept and staying till the 29th.
My friend in Beira said that the first two days well be camping at Sengo and that theres good lure fishing from the side, the next week will be fished from the boat
I am so exited i can die. He guaranteed me a BUS GT and i will die a happy man if that happens.
Ive got a 9ft Berkley cobalt rod think its rated 1-3oz. But i am a bit scared that this wouldnt be enough so its got me thinking of getting a new longer, stronger rod. The reel i am quite happy with. Its an Abu Soron stx 60 with 40lbs braid
So in the range of about R1200 what would you suggest i get?....if you can still buy a rod for that price. Will also consider 2nd hand

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 5
Re: My first Moz trip
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 07:13:01 am »
For a Rod that can handle a big GT, go and have a look at the new Okuma Metaloid Flick stick, its great value for money. Reel wise you are a bit undergunned for a Big GT. With 40lb braid you are going to need some luck go land a big GT. I would say that a minimum of 65lb braid would be what I use!

Offline Standaman

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 08:45:32 am »
I realy dont expect landing a huge Geet with my spinning gear. But would like it to be able to handle decent sized fish from shore.
Well be targeting those big geets from the boat with poppers and maybe ill slide a livey with a propper setup.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 11:36:56 am »
The Berkley is a great stick. I have a couple of it's predecessors (the Air) and they are superb rods to work both from the side and the boat. For targeting Geets from the boat though, you need stopping power. A rod rated to throw at least up to 150g (pref 200g), 7'6 to 9' max and a reel in the 10k and up (Shimi size) or 5k and up Daiwa. Braid should be 80lb and up. There's lots available in the 2nd hand market. Shout if you need a hand.

I've never fished Beira but I'm told it's absolutely fantastic when you can get far enough offshore where the local artisanal fishermen don't get to. A few mates and I have been talking about it for some years now. Please post a report on your return. There's not much info coming from that area. Tight lines bud.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Standaman

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 12:59:59 pm »
My mate is mostly a boat fisherman and he doesnt skimp on tackle. All his spinning rods have stellas on so i am sure the rods wont be of lesser quality.
Heres a pick of my rods specs.
If this rod is up to the task id be happy to rather spend the money on lures
Berkley Cobalt 9xh https://imgur.com/a/Cdkglik
And me Abu with 40lbs braid
Abu https://imgur.com/a/smtkrTR

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 01:17:15 pm »
Sounds like your mate is well kitted out.... No need to stress about the popping gear then.

The Cobalt will be a great flick stick, and that Soron is a beautiful reel. I have a little #20 and it's so well built. You will be fine with the setup.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Standaman

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:41:31 pm »
Howsit guys
Bout a rod from ganis the Loomis & Franklin archipelago 11ft
Now a question.
I had my eye on the XH HMG but after i paid i saw the quote from them stated its the HMG.
is the HMG enough for decent sized fish or should i tell them I want the XH HMG??
Also dropped my reel for a service at CDS and opted for some new HMP 35lbs braid

Offline Visenvryheid

• Cred: 19
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 10:13:15 pm »
Both HMG, more about the weight of the lures you want top cast with it, standard for 1-2oz and xh for heavier lures (2-3oz)? Might want to swop it back for an XH? Depends if you have a bunch of 1.5oz needle noses or ice creams or light spoons to throw, or you will be chucking a 2.5 oz plug into the distance..Think both will handle a small to decent geet from the shore, both rods might be too light to target the big boys? But ask a pro, like the one that sold you your line @ CDS, and you will know..

Offline Standaman

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 05:07:32 pm »
Brandon and Craig both recommended the Archipelago, so who am I to argue
I am sure it will have a bit more muscle and cast further than the Berkley, and thats what i wanted.
Craig serviced and spooled my reel with the new braid that had a 70lb braid leader already tied. Thanks craig.
Cant wait to get this rod and go to some dam somewhere and test her out.

Offline Standaman

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 08:02:46 am »
Howsit guys.
Leaving for Beira wednesday morning.
My friend who lives there says the water is allways murcy.
What species should i be able to get from shore. Packing my very light setup aswell to chuck some camo worms

Offline Serra Moz

• Cred: 12
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 09:01:30 am »
Howsit guys.
Leaving for Beira wednesday morning.
My friend who lives there says the water is allways murcy.
What species should i be able to get from shore. Packing my very light setup aswell to chuck some camo worms

Save some cash and do a boat trip or two....
Happy days!

Offline Standaman

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 09:31:00 am »
First 3 days we are going to camp on the beach. The next 6 days we'll be fishing from the boat

Offline Serra Moz

• Cred: 12
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 02:34:31 am »
First 3 days we are going to camp on the beach. The next 6 days we'll be fishing from the boat

Great !
Happy days!