Author
Topic: Dunkeld Smash and Grab  (Read 475 times)

Offline Ettienne

• Oupie
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 23
Dunkeld Smash and Grab
« on: August 10, 2018, 11:47:06 am »
Hallo all. It has been some time since I last posted here or anything for that matter. With FB and Instagram dominating our attention these days, It is hard to keep up with forums. As it is a quiet day at work here goes:

A colleague, his neighbour and I did a quick smash and grab to Dullstroom for a spot of fly fishing yesterday. We went to Dunkeld Estate and arrived there at about 7:30am. The rod fee is R150 and you are also allowed to take 2 trout even as catch and release is encouraged. We arrived with the bad weather that hit the country. It was blistery cold and windy which progressively got worse towards the afternoon. We were lucky that the dams were stocked the day before with 200kg fish at an average of 1 kg each.

We tried most of the dams and were reasonably successful in the trying conditions. Olive Woolly buggers with brass beads worked in the morning and as the day progressed the fly favoured by the fish was a Pancora Wooly worm. Both were fished on a sinking line with a slow retrieve. The tally when we left at 3pm was, colleague caught 11, neighbor caught 6 and yours truly only 2!

Back in Jozi by 6:30pm. Amazing what women will let you do on Womens Day :hnthnt: :creep:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:48:25 am by Ettienne »
When you are on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you’ll ever get.
Jack Leonard

Online FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
Re: Dunkeld Smash and Grab
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 05:40:36 pm »
Nice... Thanks for the report. It's amazing how someone else's success makes you wanna get out there and catch a fish. I think I'll go to Nandoni tomorrow  :-)
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
Re: Dunkeld Smash and Grab
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:48:17 pm »
Awesome stuff bru  :happ: