Author
Topic: GeelBek Trace  (Read 810 times)

Alfred96

GeelBek Trace
« on: August 08, 2018, 03:15:39 pm »
Hello All
Before i get a smack over the head, let me just say, i did the search thing and came up with nothing.Can somebody help with a geelbek trace? What size hook, line, length.Thanks

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
Re: GeelBek Trace
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 04:41:45 pm »
Hello All

before i get a smack over the head, let me just say, i did the search thing and came up with nothing.Can somebody help with a geelbek trace? What size hook, line, length.Thanks

:welc:  There... fixed it... Just so you know... You need to format the text size after copying and pasting (never understood why but still)... Sorry I can't help with the subject... Never fished for bek before.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 06:54:28 pm »
Three way swivel - 2m to sinker and 1m to a 9/0 Kendall Round.........dead sard pinned through the lips.
Just Fish!!!

Offline adam

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 138
  • The lighter the tackle, the bigger the fish!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 10:43:35 pm »
In line sinker with a 1m 1mm hook snoot. 

3 way swivel with a short sinker line and 1 - 1.5m hook snoot.

Use enough weight to get the bait down to the fish, not too much.

Hook a sardine or chokka onto a 7/0 - 9/0 and you are sorted.  The main thing will be to find the shoal.
"I once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiss big, now pass another beer"

Offline SUPER ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Cred: 37
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 12:28:14 pm »
Very strange. This Spammer User copied this post word for word...? http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10385.msg158153#msg158153

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 12:51:54 pm »
 :unhap :nobs: :dislike: :turd
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline imz

• Cred: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:43:28 am »
Hi Guys
Does cut bait or fillets work for Geelbek?

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 09:50:28 am »
It will but not as effective as a whole fresh sard.
Just Fish!!!

Offline imz

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 10:28:04 am »
It will but not as effective as a whole fresh sard.

Awesome thank you
Been trying for a while and have yet to get one :fshn:

Online Visenvryheid

• Cred: 19
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 11:52:25 am »
If you haven't gotten one yet, you must go with an experienced skipper, take a charter..Stick to your limit, once you drop into a shoal you could catch one on a sardine head! :) We had a night where we had our limit in no time, maybe took us 5 mins after the first livebait went down to the worms on the sounder, just us on a flat sea with the current and wind completely dying, the sea was full of green phospor and the full moon was up, it was like fishing with nightvision on, we just turned off the decklights for the most part..We had mackerel trying their best to hide under the boat the whole night since we chummed then to come find us, the geelbek were not far behind, we kept the shoal under us the whole night catching and releasing till four in the morning, a trapstick out catching bait on drifting fillets of the same bait, dropping em live down to the pack of hundreds of wolves that we'd raised 5-10m under the boat never gets tired! You'd watch the the poor mackerel swim down in lumo green dayglow, and then start to swim back up excitedly and then 20 wolves come charging up to chase it around..we'd try pull him away till the leader of the pack grabbed him, land him and throw him back and repeat..all in lumo green phosphor HD with trippy tracer effects, was an amazing experience I'll never forget..

Offline imz

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 12:04:39 pm »
I wish we could get them shallow in Durban and KZN surrounds. Here we got to target them in +- 80 meters  duh

Online Visenvryheid

• Cred: 19
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 01:11:29 pm »
Ja we found them in 30-40m but when they get on the chow, they really get on the chow..when there are hundreds in a shoal the competition for food is great and they will rise up with the bait.. know when the fish will be where, you can only get that knowledge from the experienced guys near you and that sort of stuff people don't publish haha, then if you have to drop so deep, make sure you are dropping onto fish and make your bait count..Why stop at one sard through the eyes, in cape we use 10/0 to 12/0, fit a few sards on there..chokka your best mate..strips with the sards incase peckers strip you and a chokka condom if peckers are wild..otherwise catch a pecker and send him down with a 12/0 in him and the other peckers will leave him alone..Good luck..You will learn more in one day with an experienced hand than you will in years of sukkeling on your own.

Offline imz

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 01:18:11 pm »
Ja we found them in 30-40m but when they get on the chow, they really get on the chow..when there are hundreds in a shoal the competition for food is great and they will rise up with the bait.. know when the fish will be where, you can only get that knowledge from the experienced guys near you and that sort of stuff people don't publish haha, then if you have to drop so deep, make sure you are dropping onto fish and make your bait count..Why stop at one sard through the eyes, in cape we use 10/0 to 12/0, fit a few sards on there..chokka your best mate..strips with the sards incase peckers strip you and a chokka condom if peckers are wild..otherwise catch a pecker and send him down with a 12/0 in him and the other peckers will leave him alone..Good luck..You will learn more in one day with an experienced hand than you will in years of sukkeling on your own.

Wise words and yes people don't publish anything substantial but hey, every little bit helps  (clap)

Offline adam

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 138
  • The lighter the tackle, the bigger the fish!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 09:54:50 am »
Very strange. This Spammer User copied this post word for word...? http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10385.msg158153#msg158153

At least it resulted in an interesting discussion.  w;k
"I once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiss big, now pass another beer"