Author
Topic: Assassin Spin Zero or Loomis HMG Archipelago  (Read 2737 times)

Offline JeandlH

• Cred: 0
Assassin Spin Zero or Loomis HMG Archipelago
« on: July 22, 2018, 02:20:13 pm »
Hi guys, I need some help choosing between these two rods. I currently use a Mitchell Master Caster 9ft for spinning in the surf, but I want to upgrade to something a little longer and obviously something of better quality. So far I've narrowed it down to the Assassin Spin Zero 11ft and the Loomis Archipelago 11ft, both rated 1-3oz and both in the R1300 price range. As far as I know both of the them comes standard with Fuji K-Series guides (not totally sure about the assassin) and Fuji reel seats, so they're pretty similar when it comes to rod components. But which of these two has the best blank? And which one can actually throw a 1oz lure as well as a 3oz lure, because what i've found with the Mitchell Master Caster, although it is rated to throw 3/8oz-3oz, you can't throw a weight less than 1oz if you want any decent distance and it also doesn't do well with a lure/weight heavier than 2oz. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.  :tite

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
Re: Assassin Spin Zero or Loomis HMG Archipelago
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:37:59 pm »
The Spin Zero does not come fitted with Fuji K series guides.
It is fitted with Fuji Y frame guides with aluminium oxide centres.
The Archipelago is fitted with Alconite K Series. KW30 KL20 KL12 KT8 to KT7's
I think the Archipelago is a better proposition, performance and component wise.

Send me a PM and Ill tell you a little something about the Archipelago blank, cant say it here.

Define decent distance?

Offline JeandlH

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:09:27 pm »
For some reason it says I'm not able to send a PM, but I'll quickly email you if that's alright with you.

You have to be able to load the rod properly when throwing a lure, so what I actually meant by "decent distance" is the ability of the rod to be loaded with a lighter lure. For example a rod that is rated for 1-3oz lures being able to actually throw a 1oz lure a respectable distance, and not just landing by your feet (obviously not literally).

Offline 200ts

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:51:48 am »
I have the same problem, not allowed to send a personal message.....

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 22
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:01:01 pm »
If the rod is rated for the lighter lure and is an accurate rating but the lure drops at your feet, then your line is too thick (and/or eyes and/or layout are k@k).. To say use a 20lb or 15lb or whatever is confusing as the line makers generally BS about their diameters and breaking strains.. I'd say what should work is hmp 25lb 8 strand but for lighter spoons you may want a thinner even 15 or 10lb that is actually 10lb or 15lb, with a braid casting leader stitched in..but then for a heavier spoon you will be on too light a line and when a decent fish picks you up and if you have structure around you are also stuffed. So depends on your fishing and the situation, a give and a take and balance..You will find the lures that you use most often and the rig and balance it all accordingly..sometimes you will have to throw a tiny spoon when the fish are fussy and feeding on sprats, sometimes the wind is up and you need to toss a heavier lure..You will find something that will be right in the middle and be able to do each heavier and lighter at a push, outside that range and you need another rig..When I go spinning I take two rigs, one 10' for 3-4 oz and .55 mono for the brutes and one 10' for the smaller game which I throw a 1.5oz most times on 25lb hmp 8strand but will throw from 1 to 2.5 oz with it conditions and match the hatch depending.If I was beach fishing the 10's would be 11's. For the estuaries I have a light tiger fishing setup for spinning for what is around, this doubles up as a chokka and sabiki rod and also a super light spinning rod for the boat. For the boat I have a 9' 1.5 oz rod for light spinning on 15/20lb braid and a 9'6" heavy setup on 50lb hmp braid. You can't expect one rig to do everything you want it to and do them all equally well..then I got bass rods, boat bottom sticks, tuna rods...eish..just getting into baitcasters, slippery slope..one rod aint going to cut it haha..The folks I fish fell down that slope along time ago..they have more rods than golf pros have clubs, more boats than ous have rods and each boat needs its tackle...slippery but rewarding slope.

I even have that master caster, got it on special for R500..Can find no difference with that blank and blanks on composite rods 3 times the price, and some of those rods share the same "braid-freindly" eyes as the master caster that are absolutely not kind to your braid and windknot if you look at them wrongly and are just not the eyes I'd have on by choice..but ja..I like that master caster as far as it's blank goes and it has pulled a REAL fish or 2 in its lifetime..but to have a rod builder to re-eye it for you to the spec you'd want, would cost you more than the loomis would off the bat, and the loomis is HMG and just really neat and cleanly styled, ready out the box.

Back to original question, I'd choose the loomis. Blanks aside, both are great I am sure, the layout and components on the loomis would generally cost you far more to have done in a similar rod. I have the 10' and have just fished it once for a little test drive..but I've thrown a lot of rods and own quite a few and that loomis is a beautiful rod and throws like a dream..Well styled, looks really good, not flashy either, throws beautifully. Can't give you feedback on pulling power but rod seems to have more mid backbone than my previous rod for the same task which has landed so much fish that I can't believe it looking back..and it throws nicer that the rod I am replacing, and I spent more on custom work on the previous rod than this one cost off the shelf, and the guides are still better so I'm sold so far unless in the future I pull it on a real fish and it breaks haha that is the real test, touch wood.. :-)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:19:44 pm by Visenvryheid »

Offline JeandlH

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:44:57 pm »
Okay, so thanks to the great advice and help from fishatic and also the reply from Visenvryheid I've made up my mind. :tkx:  I'm gonna go with the Loomis 11ft, the 11ft would hopefully help me reach those hard to reach sand banks which I was unable to get to with the Master Caster. I'll give some feedback as soon as I get it, but that will only be in a few months probably.

Then just another quick question. How does HMP braid stack up to Daiwa J Braid for instance? I have 8lb J Braid on my light estuary setup and I'm super happy with it's strength and casting ability so far, it is super smooth as well. Should I go for the HMP 25lb or J Braid 20lb?

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 07:14:09 am »
HMP gets my vote. I have both and prefer the handling of the HMP.
If you go the Jbraid route, opt for the 15lb, breaks at around 28lb.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:37:55 am by fishatic »

Offline Kes

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 07:54:33 am »
Not sure that I can add much more here than what already has been said and given that your mind is made up but a little anecdote in respect of your choice of braid.

Some months back Brandon (Fishatic) and I went casting to test out a new rod of mine. The rod was initially setup to be paired with my Shimano Sustain 10000 so we rigged up this reel. The reel is loaded with Sufix 832 30lb. After a few casts and adjustments in technique, I still wasn't hitting the distance that I wanted or was capable of for that matter.

Anyway long story short, Brandon suggested that we swop out reels for his Ultegra 10000 loaded with HMP 30Lb braid. First cast in with the Ultegra and I got 30-40m more instantly. The line felt better coming off the spool with the same weight lead (100g). 

So the whole point is that, I can vote strongly for HMP because of it casting abilities and price. J Braid is thicker than most braids on the market and therefore heavier. This will be a factor in respect of the overall distance you are able to achieve. The lighter the line, the further you will cast. Brandon and I have proved this concept first hand with the above experience.

Offline Kes

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 07:58:05 am »
Just on the rod; you have made the right choice. The Spin Zero will never compete on the same playing field with the Archipelago. The Archipelago has all the right bits and has been set up properly and this makes it a superior rod.

Offline brucec

• Who Dares Wins
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 10:38:50 am »
I don't have the experience to give advise...other than say get your equipment and go fish ... it' a sin to waste fishing time   :hehe:

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 02:03:22 pm »
I don't have the experience to give advise...other than say get your equipment and go fish ... it' a sin to waste fishing time   :hehe:

Ja go fish..they're biting! We been eating fish every day this last week, started with a gallie braai and fresh shad for tonight! :-) Neighbors all got fish for dinner..good times..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:04:02 pm by Visenvryheid »

Offline Kes

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 01:03:52 pm »

Ja go fish..they're biting! We been eating fish every day this last week, started with a gallie braai and fresh shad for tonight! :-) Neighbors all got fish for dinner..good times..

If you got Indian neighbors, you might score a nice fish curry..

Offline PRENO

• Cred: 3
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 12:31:47 pm »
Hi Guys

I ordered the 12ft Archipelago XH Hmg and Daiwa BG 3000 with 25lb goosen braid for R 3400.00

is this the ideal set up?

thanx

Offline Kes

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 01:09:37 pm »
Hi Guys

I ordered the 12ft Archipelago XH Hmg and Daiwa BG 3000 with 25lb goosen braid for R 3400.00

is this the ideal set up?

thanx

If you got all that brand new then you scored a great deal.

The Rod alone is R1350 odd and if you got the casting braid (yellow) then that's around R800. That's R2150 which means you scored a BG3000 for R1250..

Offline PRENO

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 01:14:48 pm »
Yes brand new, I am not sure what color the braid is but this is a reputable supplier

Offline Haroldg

• Cred: 7
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 02:58:19 pm »
Any particular reason you went for the BG 3000? I've had a look at this rod previously and it's really great value for money stock standard off the shelf.
Even the BG 4000 seemed a bit on the small side for the XH HMG. The BG 5000 was too big and unfortunately there wasn't a 4500 that I could pair it with and somehow feel this would be the one.

Offline PRENO

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 03:06:34 pm »
Hi

I was reading the other posts and everyone seemed the bg 3000 would suit the rod better.
I cannot pm you, I am not sure why.

you can email me prenpillay@gmail.com

Online CRANKMAN

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 50
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 03:31:05 pm »
Hi

I cannot pm you, I am not sure why.

you can email me prenpillay@gmail.com
Once you have been a member who contributes for a bit the PM function becomes available.
>('>
                   )<((>
     }<(({>

Offline HennieB

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 01:05:55 pm »
Has anyone used both the older and newer model? I'm looking at getting the XH version but not sure how they compare.

Offline Visenvryheid

• Ultimate member
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 09:24:06 am »
The XH and normal are just different cast weights as far as I know, use the one that suits the weight of sinker/lures you will be fishing..