Author
Topic: building a new break neck trailer  (Read 1105 times)

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 164
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
building a new break neck trailer
« on: July 17, 2018, 06:52:12 pm »
I want to make a new trailer for our Z200, the trailer that came with the boat is a real farmerised trailer, made basically from scrap. We did try to get it galvanised but it was made withscrap steel some of which was galvanised already

We have strengthened it over the years but the time has come to build a new one.

Has anyone any typcal trailer plans that we could crib from?
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Online shu vawda

• Cred: 1
Re: building a new break neck trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:47:39 pm »
Hi Dodger.

Firstly good luck with the build.Not difficult but can be frustrating getting measurements of the boat right.The old trailer can be a good guide for this.

I do not have plans for making a trailer but i have some pictures of a trailer we built.Hope this helps.I would strongly suggest installing an oil filled axle with hydaulic braking sytem.Its a big help to set up a jig to work from as you can square of easily by nailing timber battens onto the ply worktop.We set up a scaffold and worked from there.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and i would glady help.

Shuaib vawda

Online shu vawda

• Cred: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:51:00 pm »
the finished product

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 05:16:58 pm »
Thanks Shu

it is more or less what we will do, it is so important to get the frame level & square :corrct:
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 336
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 05:21:18 pm »
On the F200 the hulls are not parallel as they get closer from front to rear so the rollers will need to be wider at the rear to compensate for this, also the one hull is shorter than the other by the transom.
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 65
  • vidalbum
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 08:33:57 pm »
I will check if I still have the drawings for the F200 trailer built a few of them over the last 10 years

vidalbum

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:01:45 am »
I will check if I still have the drawings for the F200 trailer built a few of them over the last 10 years

thanks Rory

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 10:28:36 am »
I built a trailer for my little Boston Whaler and had it galvanised by Supergalv in Alberton... They did a good job at a very reasonable price.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 12:45:33 pm »

thanks Rory

will try find my old laptop in the garage and see if on there as not on current one other wise will measure out mine the trick with the F200 is big rollers for the keels, as stated they are not parallel but the rollers must be in a straight line .
material used is 76x38x6mm channel  for most of the trailer 50x10mm flat bar and 16mm roundbar not sure what axles you putting on but would imagine you not going to get any change from 50k to build one and if you fitting a proper LA axle closer to 75k, i believe a normal axle if going with a single axle is going to cost you dearly at some stage

vidalbum

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 02:22:29 pm »
Because the Capies don't know what a breakneck is :craz: I had to basically tell them what I wanted when I had my boat built, so I spent a few hours or so down on the beach on a Saturday stealing with my eyes and iPhone.........I knew the basic concept from previous boats but have also seen some almighty fups of trailer design that will make you give up boating :nuts: :unhap (the Superduc one with the single dussleboom comes to mind)
The axle position is also critical when towing!!
Just Fish!!!

Offline fishing mike

• Cred: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 06:20:48 pm »
interesting thread
Any ideas regarding a forward launching trailer?

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 04:17:13 pm »
sorry dodger cant find my drawings or old laptop if you not in a rush next time im down in st lucia can mesure up for you

these roller make life easy to load

vidalbum

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 05:21:31 pm »
sorry dodger cant find my drawings or old laptop if you not in a rush next time im down in st lucia can mesure up for you

these roller make life easy to load

thanks Rory for your help  :+ cred:

[/size]We are underway with the trailer, we will basically copy the old one osing it as a building frame,  but with n[size=78%][/size]ew [/size]steel, not scrap. We tried to get the old trailer galvanised, but when it was cleaned of paint some of the pieces were salvaged from a galvanised trailer so it needed pickling and if we had gone that route I guess a lot of the rubbish would have dissolved. The new build plenty of corner gussets and with the round  bar re-inforcing above the channel. We will also fit a 100 flat bar along the front of the channel making it into a box shape. This one we will galvanise :happ:

We have the existing rollers which are ok, and we will allow for the taper between the hulls. The existing 3500kg axle will be re-used but with new springs.[/font]
When we bought the boat the original axle bent[/font] :unhap . When I measured it up, it was infact only an 1800kg axle which was a recipe for disaster. One must not believe the  :turd that some people talk

One thing we will copy from our Yeld is the stainless rear tie downs, nothing is better than that.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 05:31:25 pm »
There are few things worse than towing a trailer that you don't trust. Specially one that is carrying your pride and joy.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline dodger

• always willing to help
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 05:37:35 pm »
There are few things worse than towing a trailer that you don't trust. Specially one that is carrying your pride and joy.

So true, when we bought the rig the boat was on a mooring at Wilsons so the trailer wasn't an issue. We got a charter at Jozini for some Tiggers and on the way back hit a pothole and the axle bent right at the stub, then after some measurements discovered it was infact much to light for the application
So we have stiffened it and put a more suitable axle & springs on and yes it's ok but ''the time has come the Walrus said''

So a new one is on the way, just purchased the steel so we will be busy for a couple of weeks

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 08:27:22 am »
Try and keep tabs on what it costs, it would be interesting as steel prices have rocketed in the last few years, my trailer cost 25k five years ago and the replacement value is 40k!! My SkiVee trailer cost R2800 back then but we built one with some 'acquired' Railway steel :hnthnt:
Just Fish!!!

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 12:10:08 pm »
you can use anything less than 76*38*6mm or that trailer will buckle

vidalbum

Offline fishing mike

• Cred: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 06:53:31 pm »
has anybody have any good ideas regarding the design of a front launching trailer as per the photo downloaded from gumtree?
Your ideas would be welcome

Offline Rory mundy

• Ultimate Champ
  • vidalbum
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 07:00:16 pm »
They break boats thatís why you donít see many been used and moved on to be pushed in with a pole
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:01:21 pm by Rory mundy »

vidalbum