Author
Topic: Arabie Dam ..bassing and accommadation  (Read 525 times)

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 192
Arabie Dam ..bassing and accommadation
« on: June 28, 2018, 03:27:26 pm »
So seeing as i missed the sardine run about 20 yrs in a row .... been looking for bass venues to do on a weekend , like a 2 day trip: ie a weekend , not keen on doing the local waters here which are closer , so being looking at Arabie Dam ... anyone got any info on stay over facilities (Matlala Aloe Park ) and how productive is bassing there ...

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
Re: Arabie Dam ..bassing and accommadation
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 04:23:05 pm »
Mike, Crankman has fished there in the past, but avoided it in the last few years because of extremely low water levels. If he doesn't chip in soon, drop him a pm.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 04:26:04 pm »
 :Like: thx  Martin

Offline HennieB

• Cred: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 06:17:09 am »
Arabie dam is currently at 98% capacity.

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 50
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 08:13:20 am »
It has been a while since I fished Arabie, and when I did it was mainly for bream (kurper). That said there are plenty of bass there and the dam is full of structure. Some huge barbel as well which can be fun if nothing else is biting. A beautiful dam, loads of bird life, about 12 or more fish species, just be wary of flatdogs - there's plenty and they are monsters.
Aloe Matlala is where I always stayed and was very happy there. Campsites are close to the water, clean and spacious, there is a good little shop with all the basics (beer and ice) as well as a few groceries. There is a couple of swimming pools to keep the kids happy.
I will try load a google earth pic of places I would recommend to start your search for bass.
}<(({'>

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 08:36:21 am »
Thanks  for the info chaps will have to plan a trip there soon ... :hnthnt: :hnthnt: . :Like:

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 50
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 08:45:41 am »
Arabie
}<(({'>

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 08:55:02 am »
Thanks Sean ... :Like: :Like: :Like:

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 80
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 10:02:12 am »
I've never been there on a boat, just fished for carp from the banks in the river (think it's the Olifants) many years ago and a buddy's dad had a place in Aloe park if I'm not mistaken.

We have a planned trip for Loskop in early August and Arabie and Roodekoppies have also been discussed for Spawn trips in the last two weeks, think Arabie will follow Loskop and then Roodekoppies each with a possible two day stay.

Think the blokes also mentioned Aloe for accommodation and if I remember they were happy with the venue. will ask from the guys that fished that pond a lot in the past.
There was a comp two or three weeks ago and the reports (pics) we got from one boat (guy and his wife) that had caught a 8,65 and a 8,5 bag respectively, so the fishing seems to be good there.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 09:20:47 am »
The blokes replied and they are saying that "Schuinsdraai" is a good place to stay however it's not next to the water. Not sure what it entails and what the costs are, just got that its the place they prefer to stay at.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Big B

• Barry
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 19
  • I am a fish-a-holic!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 02:50:27 pm »
Mike, please let us know if and when you intend a trip there, and if you feel like some company, would love to go and explore up that way.
Lets go FISHING!

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 04:29:52 pm »
Might do Roodekoppies soon , closer, less fuel etc ... dunno about the bass though . :Like:

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 01:57:44 pm »
Might do Roodekoppies soon , closer, less fuel etc ... dunno about the bass though . :Like:

Some of the Clan fished Roodekoppies two weeks ago and struggled a bit, albeit there were some decent fish caught at the cement dam and close vicinity. Not sure exactly what they used but "Cranks" were mentioned.

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 02:37:48 pm »
Cement dam ..??? whassat.... a reservoir....?.. :hyst:

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 08:51:05 am »
Cement dam ..??? whassat.... a reservoir....?.. :hyst:
:yipee:

When you launch at Dennekruin and go towards the dam wall the cement/concrete dam (those that were built on farms next to the "windpomp") is on the right about half-way between the launch and the dam wall, probably not visible now :cnfzd with the water level.  :toppie: C if U can look on google earth and use the timeline feature to see if you can pick up where it is when the water level was low.

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 08:58:16 am »
 :Like: i'll probably launch from the  Western Transvaal fishing grounds , if i can remember how to get there .. :hyst: thx Henk .

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 09:46:21 am »
:Like: i'll probably launch from the  Western Transvaal fishing grounds , if i can remember how to get there .. :hyst: thx Henk .

emanzini fishing camp is also a place to consider launching, entry fee is but R50-00. Through Brits, keep on driving until you get the railway crossing with the two huge uncomfortable speed humps, not sure how far after that, there's a tar road that turns out left and you'll go over the northern leg of the dam. This road ends in a T-junction with a dirt road, turn right and about 5 k's further the entrance to Emanzini should be on your right.

Launch is directly to the right after passing through the gate, when launched and you're heading out the bay towards the main portion of the northern part of the dam, the Dennekruin rocks (good afternoon spot) is to the right of the bay about 150m from the huge boulders towards the dam wall, on the opposite bank as you come out of the bay, similarly the cement/concrete dam is about the same distance from the bay on the same bank but to the left as you come out of the bay. hope this helps.

Theres also another bay on the most southern bank (right-hand-side) of the southern leg of the dam about half-way when you come around the corner opposite the dam wall with huge rocks scattered all over the entrance and throughout the small bay where we've done well in the past.
Lastly, apparently at the dam wall to the left when facing the dam wall, about 150m right from where the end of the rock wall is, is also a good place for deep cranks, so I've been told, I however haven't been able to find the exact spot there.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:59:04 am by LGF »

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 09:51:29 am »
The tar road is called "Kameeldrift" and measured on the maps that I can use, it's 8,29 km's from the railway crossing.

Unfortunately my PC (work PC) cannot handle Google earth so I can't help you with a screenshot and dropped pins of what I was saying in the previous post.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:54:07 am by LGF »