Author
Topic: If you had R3000 for a new spinning setup  (Read 1312 times)

Offline philter

• Phil
  • Cred: 0
  • Strength, Courage, Honour
Re: If you had R3000 for a new spinning setup
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 11:43:18 am »
Hi Emjay
Just to clarify, the 11' Archipelago comes in two models, the std HMG which is rated to throw 28 - 84g ( 1 - 3oz), and the newer XH HMG which is rated to throw 42 - 112g (1.5 - 4oz), the older model would be perfect for a 1.5oz lure.

Offline Plugger

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 11:50:56 am »
The other option is to stash your cash until BM has another sale.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline emjay

• Cred: 14
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 05:30:12 pm »
Ok good to know the Archipelago comes in a 1-3oz version. I'll be on the hunt for one to give it a feel

Haha problem with specials is we never know when the specials will happen again and we want our tackle NOW  w;k. With my line of work, it's pretty likely that I'll be away working in some funny place when there's a special

I've done some pretty extensive reading on the Daiwa BG and Okuma Azores. I looked at Alan Hawk's service and review on the BG. He rates it top of the budget reels, with the Azores coming second. I see in the USA, the BG and Azores are priced similar to each other, at about $110 each. Here in SA the BG goes for about a grand more than the Azores.... That leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth...

Not committed to reel yet though, just putting my thoughts on paper, but if I can't justify the expense of the Stradic, I'll second guess the BG due to feeling that the Azores is in the same class as the BG, but at a better price
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:40:36 pm by emjay »
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Kes

• Cred: 2
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 08:20:50 pm »

The Archipelago is a HMG rod so its light.. Go with the 11ft. I have the 12ft and its lighter than my old brand new Assassin Spin 12ft which I have since sold.

Your old brand new rod you say?  :hyst:

I have a BG in larger size and have no complaints so far.

Lol.. yeah. Bought it, wasnít happy with the choice I made and then sold it..

Offline Kes

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 08:24:50 pm »
Ok good to know the Archipelago comes in a 1-3oz version. I'll be on the hunt for one to give it a feel

Haha problem with specials is we never know when the specials will happen again and we want our tackle NOW  w;k. With my line of work, it's pretty likely that I'll be away working in some funny place when there's a special

I've done some pretty extensive reading on the Daiwa BG and Okuma Azores. I looked at Alan Hawk's service and review on the BG. He rates it top of the budget reels, with the Azores coming second. I see in the USA, the BG and Azores are priced similar to each other, at about $110 each. Here in SA the BG goes for about a grand more than the Azores.... That leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth...

Not committed to reel yet though, just putting my thoughts on paper, but if I can't justify the expense of the Stradic, I'll second guess the BG due to feeling that the Azores is in the same class as the BG, but at a better price

BG is an awesome reel. But lower down on retrieve than the Stradic. You wonít go wrong with it. I would give the Okuma a skip cos I personally donít believe itís in the class of the BG and will never be..

Offline emjay

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 09:33:31 pm »

BG is an awesome reel. But lower down on retrieve than the Stradic. You wonít go wrong with it. I would give the Okuma a skip cos I personally donít believe itís in the class of the BG and will never be..

Suppose the Okuma isn't really in the same class as the BG. I forgot that the BG has things in it that should be in higher class reels, like the bearings, anti reverse and gears. I was just a bit miffed that the BG is more expensive here, but it's worth that price and more by the looks of things

Cool, BG 3000 it is then :frid
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:36:18 pm by emjay »

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 11:34:29 pm »
Yup was meaning the older non XH version rod, 1-3 oz (in the link posted earlier 11' 28-84g 1.5oz is right in the sweet spot same rating as my rod I use for 1.5oz)..Regarding reels, don't make an impulse buy, go feel the rod and try the reels on it in the shop and get the setup that feels right to you..you are the one that has to cast it all day..The price difference equated over the life of the reel makes my shimanos my cheapest reels. Cheaper than my mates okuma that didn't last one season..my original stradic still going after four seasons of heavy fishing.. ;) Got a new one just because I made a good trade..old one still going just fine..literally caught a ton of gamefish..hundreds of katonkel, over a hundred leeries probably, shad after shad..more tail than I should have caught with it haha, big cob, gallies and a whole lot of geelbek..only thing that was replaced were the k@k felt washers for carbons straight from the new model which has them standard and maybe one line roller bearing..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:04:48 am by Visenvryheid »

Offline soupcan

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 05:37:51 pm »
Azores is nowhere near the BG. I own both and the Okuma has become guest reel... It's pulled a few big fish, but casts poorly. I might even sell it and buy another BG, but this time the BG3000.

If you had to buy the Azores for spinning, I would get the 40 size, but not really.

Offline Bamboes-Vis

• Cred: 1
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 07:25:09 am »
I have bought the 11' Archipelago with a 4000 sienna and 25lb braid.
(I think you can probably buy this setup for under R2000.)

Using it to cast spoons for shad and bait fish with a 2oz weight.
I am very happy with this setup.
The rod casts like a champ.

I have considered the vengeance shad and the Archipelago.
I think the Archipelago is a much better rod in my opinio
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:26:49 am by Bamboes-Vis »

Offline jace

• Cred: 28
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 01:09:19 pm »
I know the Stradic has been suggested as the only reel to look at, but any views on the Daiwa BG reels? I see a helleva lot of good reviews on them on the net. I understand the 3000 size BG is very similar to the 5000 size Stradic. Apparently a good reel that punches harder than what the price suggests. If I get a BG it will be a grand cheaper than the Stradic

Used both reels in a spiining trip to angola in may. two new BG packed up within 2 days of spinning. The stradic lasted the the whole trip and landed few good fish even after being under water several times. When the BG was serviced at the agents I was told that it must not come into contact with sea water. It difficult to spin and wade withour your reel comming into contact with sea water

Offline Visenvryheid

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 03:31:26 pm »
Your stradic will still last you for years, corrosion block and a good service are your reels' best friend..Mine has seen salt water soooooo many times, season in and season out.. was still getting sprayed and splashed on the boat and it's drag was happily singing along to the tune of feisty gamefish while filling my freezer just this weekend! Of all the spinners I've owned, only the shimano's and my lethal 60 have been exposed to the salt and catch fish after fish, year in and year out and still fish like new or almost like new..I had an older finnor that was junk..I've had daiwas, penns, mates have had okumas..few last in our fishing conditions and on the fish we try catch on them. :) This debate a has been raging for years haha but proof is in the pudding..one just has to read online reviews, filter out the obvious shills and you quickly and clearly see the same result is found all over the world..I've lost count of how many youtube fishing shows start off being sponsored by one company, and then on proper fish tackle fails and they finish the episode off on a backup shimmy, that they try to edit out the shimmy in the background as much as possible in most cases, and funnily enough and true to form the very next episode they will be proudly sponsored by shimano and have a new kit of shiny new saragosa's and stellas (or accurates) to show off to their subscribers..seen it a good few times..classic whenever I see the scenario repeat with different shows..Ja been there done that..Youfish TV, think has it happen, blacktipH had it happen, darcissle I think had it happen for example, before someone tries to sue us LOL @ carrycat.. w;k
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:16:00 pm by Visenvryheid »

Offline emjay

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 05:08:56 pm »
Thanks for the extra suggestions

With regards to the rod, I am buying an almost new Assassin Spin from a member on this forum that has had the KR Concept guide upgrade done to it for an excellent price. So the rod choice is sorted

Still undecided on the reel though. I've been out of the country for the past 6 weeks so haven't had a chance to have a look at any reels yet, but after kissing my girlfriend hello when I get off the plane, the first stop is a tackle shop to look at reels w;k
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:17:56 pm by emjay »

Offline Umpa Lumpa

• The Ocean is my Haven!!!
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 119
  • The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 07:44:00 am »
What is the final verdict on your combo?

Offline emjay

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 10:00:46 am »

Howzit. Going with a secondhand Assassin Spin 1 to 2oz with the KR Concept guide upgrade

Undecided on the reel. Have heard some mixed reports on the Daiwa BG. Some think it's the next best thing since 2 ply toilet paper, others think it's terrible, but most give it a positive review. Alan Hawk thinks its great and built well  :dunno:

Stradic is unfortunately out of my budget. Would love one, but that extra 1k for it would stretch me out a bit too much

Okuma Azores 40 looks tempting. I like how it's built, I like the price, It's received good reports but also some bad ones. Seems to have the same rating on Amazon reviews as the Daiwa BG, but I'll take those reviews with a huge spoon of salt because a lot of those people unbox the reel, spin the hand seven times and rush to the computer to write a review saying its awesome. That goes for most reviews of most things unfortunately. I personally like Okuma grinders and own two, one of them is 9 years old and has served me well as an estuary and bass reel. It's a Cimeron 30. The other is a Ceymar 65 that was actually found at the bottom of the sea by my friend while we went spearfishing. Must've been lying there for no more than a couple of days, if that, but I stripped it down to the last screw and gave it a good service. It's my beater surf reel and has been drenched a few times while wading to rocks. Still smooth and running well, although it hasn't been used that much and I've only had it for a year

Like the Shimano Sahara as well. It's price is good, has a nice fast retrieve, but apparently it lacks some power when trying to reel a fish in, however I don't winch fish in, I use the rod to pull the fish so that won't be a problem for me

Shimano Symetre is also a reel I'd consider

Ultimately I want to put the reel on the rod first before making a purchase

With regards to braid, I've been advised to get Grinder 8x braid. I'll go for the 20lb version
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:02:01 am by emjay »

Offline Kes

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 12:20:29 pm »

Howzit. Going with a secondhand Assassin Spin 1 to 2oz with the KR Concept guide upgrade

Undecided on the reel. Have heard some mixed reports on the Daiwa BG. Some think it's the next best thing since 2 ply toilet paper, others think it's terrible, but most give it a positive review. Alan Hawk thinks its great and built well  :dunno:

Stradic is unfortunately out of my budget. Would love one, but that extra 1k for it would stretch me out a bit too much

Okuma Azores 40 looks tempting. I like how it's built, I like the price, It's received good reports but also some bad ones. Seems to have the same rating on Amazon reviews as the Daiwa BG, but I'll take those reviews with a huge spoon of salt because a lot of those people unbox the reel, spin the hand seven times and rush to the computer to write a review saying its awesome. That goes for most reviews of most things unfortunately. I personally like Okuma grinders and own two, one of them is 9 years old and has served me well as an estuary and bass reel. It's a Cimeron 30. The other is a Ceymar 65 that was actually found at the bottom of the sea by my friend while we went spearfishing. Must've been lying there for no more than a couple of days, if that, but I stripped it down to the last screw and gave it a good service. It's my beater surf reel and has been drenched a few times while wading to rocks. Still smooth and running well, although it hasn't been used that much and I've only had it for a year

Like the Shimano Sahara as well. It's price is good, has a nice fast retrieve, but apparently it lacks some power when trying to reel a fish in, however I don't winch fish in, I use the rod to pull the fish so that won't be a problem for me

Shimano Symetre is also a reel I'd consider

Ultimately I want to put the reel on the rod first before making a purchase

With regards to braid, I've been advised to get Grinder 8x braid. I'll go for the 20lb version

Assassin Spin and the Daiwa BG3000 is a winning combination.

Just remember, Alan Hawk fished the reel for a couple of weeks before writing his review so that's the one review that I would consider more closely.

But good luck bud and let us know how it goes..

Offline LookingForStructure

• Cred: 0
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 12:25:34 pm »
Okuma azores z55s R949
http://www.ganis.co.za/pi936/fishing-reels/all-fishing-reels/conventional-spinning-reels/okuma-azores.html
pair it with a 20-30lb quality braid and youll have a good setup

ideally for shore based spinning try stay away from reels with graphite bodies 11ft rods pair nicely with 5000 size reels and for R949 you get a reel with 13kg drag + carbon drag washers(unlikely you'll ever need that much) and an alloy body

I only fish light tackle and given that I have limited funds I surf spin with a 11ft shimano vengeance shad XH and its rated for 50-100g casting weight paired with a penn fierce 2 5000 with 30lb maxima braid and I have no issues what so ever. I use the same reel for deep sea bottom fishing and jigging paired with a el cheapo 5ft8 assasin boat rod.

the okuma reels I do own are a c30 ceymar i have with 10lb 832 braid I use for estuary bait fishing and a citrix baitcaster for artificials. 3 years later and no problems with either.

If you practice good fishing technique ie: let the rod do the work and don't try and winch fish in the azores will be perfectly fine. Most reels are broken because people can't play fish properly.

If your budget does allow I would get a Diawa BG. I had the azores and bg side by side in the tackle shop and the BG is most defiantly the better reel. but at double the price I am not so sure its double the reel.