Author
Topic: The art of trolling Rapalas  (Read 6936 times)

Offline supercab

• Cred: 1
Re: The art of trolling Rapalas
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2018, 09:58:54 am »
Morning guys and merry Christmas
I was thinking of getting some new lures but will stick to helco's then
Thanks for the feedback

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 338
  • www.bluewatercharters.co.za
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2018, 10:06:35 am »
I been running mine for more than 6 months (probably over 50 trips) and they still good, hooks are rusting yes but nothing more than any other treble
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 10:28:43 pm »
After hooking up a Black Marlin on the Extremes and not being able to leader it at the boat with 0.80mm leader I tried something new and rigged them with 1.6mm leader crimped with a saddle on the solid ring. At least if we hook another bill we can leader it.
I was worried they would not swim and would jump but they did not and swam very well with our spread, I did notice they do run slightly shallower with the thicker leader but they did not pop out at all.
I have also observed that they do not like to run well in the prop wash, but on the side they run sweet.
BLUE WATER CHARTERS DURBAN - Marlin, Tuna and Big Game Fishing - www.bluewatercharters.co.za

ADVENTURE FISHING SAFARIS - Tiger Fish, Bass and Estuary Fishing - www.adventurefishing.co.za

Online John F

• Cred: 517
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 08:13:06 am »
Mike, my I suggest you rig them with J hooks.... if marlin is on your list it may help with proper hook ups? Do it with some dynema (GT plug style)....

My .00002 MZN

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2019, 08:21:35 am »
Ok got to test the lure on Friday, pulls fast but cannot pull at 16kts.....but, I need to remove the inline single and try it as it came out of the box(then it might do as it says on the box :nuts:)
I also could not test it with the rod tip lowered to water level as I was fishing alone and the 30 won't fit in the Scottys........it also won't work on light tackle at 10+ kts as the drag has to be ramped too high at higher speeds :-(
What it can do very well is pull with conas at 8kts......and catch fish :rck" I had a triple dolly strike but only landed one - mayhem (bat  :dor: :dor: :dor:
Also got the biggest Kawa I have ever seen, over 10kgs!!

I am not sure what you call light tackle but on 30lb they do not pull any line on our boat even with drag dropped back, I have not tried on 20lb, and we have run them up to 44km an hour which is over 20 knots.

They most definitely are perfect for running with a spread

Okay, either I have a dud lure or a dud gps?!! I but the treble back and tried it this weekend, there is no way I could get it to run at 16kts(28kph) so I don't know how you got it to 20kts, it ran up to around 12-14kts but not on the plane so pointless trying whilst running, as I mentioned great for 8kts with konas but its not going to stick whilst running :dunno:
Just Fish!!!

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2019, 09:28:57 am »
Ok got to test the lure on Friday, pulls fast but cannot pull at 16kts.....but, I need to remove the inline single and try it as it came out of the box(then it might do as it says on the box :nuts:)
I also could not test it with the rod tip lowered to water level as I was fishing alone and the 30 won't fit in the Scottys........it also won't work on light tackle at 10+ kts as the drag has to be ramped too high at higher speeds :-(
What it can do very well is pull with conas at 8kts......and catch fish :rck" I had a triple dolly strike but only landed one - mayhem (bat  :dor: :dor: :dor:
Also got the biggest Kawa I have ever seen, over 10kgs!!

I am not sure what you call light tackle but on 30lb they do not pull any line on our boat even with drag dropped back, I have not tried on 20lb, and we have run them up to 44km an hour which is over 20 knots.

They most definitely are perfect for running with a spread

Okay, either I have a dud lure or a dud gps?!! I but the treble back and tried it this weekend, there is no way I could get it to run at 16kts(28kph) so I don't know how you got it to 20kts, it ran up to around 12-14kts but not on the plane so pointless trying whilst running, as I mentioned great for 8kts with konas but its not going to stick whilst running :dunno:

Are you running them in clean water or in the prop wash, I run mine in clean water and when I tried to run them in the prop wash they did not like it and popped out

Offline dugong

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 54
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2019, 10:53:05 am »
Far back, 50m+..... rigged with 1m 60lb nylon, small swivel to 4m 50lb leader no clip.
Just Fish!!!

Offline Capt. Hook

• Simple Fisherman
  • Ultimate Champ
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2019, 04:02:10 pm »
Far back, 50m+..... rigged with 1m 60lb nylon, small swivel to 4m 50lb leader no clip.
I have no answers then, perhaps you must try tuning it

Offline jacoscheepers

• Cred: 0
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2019, 09:05:49 am »
Thank you for a great article. Very informative. Will get some Xtreme Raps and try them myself.