Author Topic: Another Newbie to fishing ski (kzn north)  (Read 973 times)

Offline NobieDick

• Cred: 0
Another Newbie to fishing ski (kzn north)
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:02:53 am »
Hi there. I'm new to the fishing ski sport. I've recently purchased a second hand ericks tunny. Been fixing a few small things as I find them. So far no major problems. Taken the ski out two weeks back to La Mercy lake (flat water ) to practice my paddling and ballance. All went very well. I'd like to hook up with some of the local guys who launch around the kzn area. I stay in Westbrook and have been told to be careful about launching at this spot. I'm yet to attempt the ocean as I'm still practicing on flat water. Before I attempt the foamies I'd like to meet up with the boys in the area for some tips and tricks. I've been fishing for most of my life (rock and surf) but always wanted to brave the high seas on a fishing kayak. Looking forward to meeting the guys within this sport. Been reading all the posts in the forum under fishing ski and there seems to be a nice group of friends here.  :uarocks
Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee. They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing.
John 21:3 (Holy Bible)

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
Re: Another Newbie to fishing ski (kzn north)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:37:31 am »
 :welc: :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline LGF

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 80
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:39:02 am »
 :welc:  Hope the blokes from down there respond soon.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 12:15:23 pm »
 :welc:

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 06:57:32 am »
Welcome Nobiedick and congrats on the new ski and your new facet.
Kayaking is a awesome sport, the rewards are out of this world. It's something you can't just jump into, weather and surf conditions need to be adhered to. If I can suggest,  joining a club or a WhatsApp group will be beneficial, both on craft and fishing. A well known club, UKFC, us on your doorstep, with many members that frequent your local waters. This club is very professional and have loads to offer for a small annual fee. another group is the Blue Baboons, fantastic bunch of guys, they'll literally drag you along and show you the ropes, most of them also are members of UKFC.

Offline NobieDick

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:17:43 am »
Thanks guys  :tkx: I was invited to join the Blue Baboon Kayak fishing group. They a large group and very friendly and helpful. They have already set up some training for me and a few other newbies. I'm busy with getting my safety equipment together as this is a strict requirement. All I need now is a few pencil flares and a PFD. If anyone has a spare PFD laying around that would like to sell it please let me know or where I can find a supplier. Thanks again for the welcome guys. Hope to see you all on the big Blue soon  :thmsup"
Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee. They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing.

Offline nabeel6061

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 07:57:26 am »
Thanks guys  :tkx: I was invited to join the Blue Baboon Kayak fishing group. They a large group and very friendly and helpful. They have already set up some training for me and a few other newbies. I'm busy with getting my safety equipment together as this is a strict requirement. All I need now is a few pencil flares and a PFD. If anyone has a spare PFD laying around that would like to sell it please let me know or where I can find a supplier. Thanks again for the welcome guys. Hope to see you all on the big Blue soon  :thmsup"

Hey man. How did you get in touch with Blue Baboons? I met some of them on the water a couple months ago and haven't been able to contact anyone since. They seem like genuine chaps, shared some paddling and fishing tips on the water.

Offline NobieDick

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:17:46 pm »

Hey man. How did you get in touch with Blue Baboons? I met some of them on the water a couple months ago and haven't been able to contact anyone since. They seem like genuine chaps, shared some paddling and fishing tips on the water.

The Blue Baboons are a closed group and entry is by invetation only. You can contact Bijen and he can take it from there. He is on Ultimate. Unfortunately I can't give out any other information as I'm still new to the group.

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 06:59:27 am »
Cool Nobiedick, you in good hands, see you on the water

Offline Plugger

• Ultimate member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 06:43:51 am »
Seaport Supply 5 Signal Road, Point will have all safety equipment. Helpful guys. 0313322691
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline NobieDick

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 08:56:25 am »
Seaport Supply 5 Signal Road, Point will have all safety equipment. Helpful guys. 0313322691

Great thanks for the info. I'm flying out to JHB tomorrow but will be back by Saturday then will pop in at them.  :tkx:

Offline Donz

• Cred: 1
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 06:02:41 pm »
Hi Nobie dick :welc:

Im also new to kayak fishing having only launched 5 time at Vetchies, still not confident enough to tackle the surf elsewhere. Pity you in Jhb as i plan on launching tomorrow.
I have a spare PFD that you may use till you buy one,  or else you can try it out and if its comfortable we can discuss a fair price.

Offline Donz

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 06:04:54 pm »
 duh Sorry for my ignorance, didn't look at the date of the post. The offer is still up if you haven't already bought a PFD

Offline sebatiaanc

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 10:10:55 pm »
 :welc: :ult: :fshn:

Offline NobieDick

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 09:03:37 am »
Hi Nobie dick :welc:

Im also new to kayak fishing having only launched 5 time at Vetchies, still not confident enough to tackle the surf elsewhere. Pity you in Jhb as i plan on launching tomorrow.
I have a spare PFD that you may use till you buy one,  or else you can try it out and if its comfortable we can discuss a fair price.

Hi Donz. Thanks for your offer  :tkx: I'm still in the market for a PFD if it's still available. I'm back from JHB thank goodness lol. It's freezing up there. If you planning on heading out this weekend give me a shout please bud. You might still be a newbie but you have 5 more launches under your belt than me  :hehe: I've still only been out on flat water at the La Mercy lake. My cell number is 0715616819 if you would like to organise over whatsapp.

Offline NobieDick

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 07:01:06 am »
Khaliq thanks for your PM about the new guy you would like to help. I tried to PM you back but unfortunately it looks like that option is blocked until I'm a senior member :toppie:. Please contact me on WhatsApp as there is a group of us going out tomorrow and I'd be happy to introduce him to the guys that can help show him the ropes. My number is 0715616819