Author
Topic: What have you caught lately?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Ninja

• Cred: 0
What have you caught lately?
« on: March 14, 2018, 11:43:06 am »
So the weather in Durban has been a bit skew lately with crazy winds and tides making conditions very different. My mate and I have been trying a lot lately and last week he caught this little kob on the north bank at Blue Lagoon. I was surprised that it was caught in daylight hours - about 14:00 in the afternoon. Also my bru was using a mussel and bay squid combo and the sea was very rough with lots of sand. I spent most of that session sorting out my braid which was tangled beyond belief. Al in all a decent mission as its been a while since either of us has caught anything decent.

How has the angling been for everyone here else lately? Whats coming out where you are fishing? Just curious.

:tite
"The true peace of God begins at any spot a thousand miles from the nearest land."

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 753
Re: What have you caught lately?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 12:50:05 pm »
Nice one! Just a question... where the heck did you get Bay Squid bait from? Haven't seen it for sale in 10 years! Deadliest bait ever!

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Ninja

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 01:30:50 pm »
Nice one! Just a question... where the heck did you get Bay Squid bait from? Haven't seen it for sale in 10 years! Deadliest bait ever!

Eish, jammer. Its was Adcan baby squid. Very effective indeed. I've only caught undersize with it though.
"The true peace of God begins at any spot a thousand miles from the nearest land."

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:56:41 pm »
Ah ok. Big diffs between Bay Squid and Baby squid... given up fishing with baby squid, I rather use Chokka.

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline Ninja

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:00:39 pm »
yeah, we use a variety of bait - squid, chokka, pillies, jap mack, prawn, cracker, occie leg - you name it. Its been very slow in Durban lately though. Tons of tiny shad and other peckers. .. Got a small puffer on my metalloid lol

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:24:53 am »
Have you ever caught anything on the Jap Macks? Ordinary Sugar Macks are good, but I've never had a bite on the Jap Mackerel?

#QAnon   
#TheGreatAwakening

Offline SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 135
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 10:50:35 am »
I am going fishing this weekend and will report back on Monday.  :hnthnt:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:50:59 am by SAfish »

Offline MZeee

• Cred: 15
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 11:44:26 am »
Have you ever caught anything on the Jap Macks? Ordinary Sugar Macks are good, but I've never had a bite on the Jap Mackerel?

Jap Mack is deadly for Shad.(mix it with sardine when the shad are fussy or full jap fillet if they are not feeding)  Only other thing Ive caught with it is big blacktail.

Offline stickleback

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 11:47:50 am »

Just so I've got this right jap macks = chub mackerel; sugar macks = indian mackerel?
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Offline MZeee

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 11:49:47 am »
Ah ok. Big diffs between Bay Squid and Baby squid... given up fishing with baby squid, I rather use Chokka.

I don't think I've ever had a bite with baby squid either. although I have seen my brother pull out two +-5kg pompano from right underneath me in blue lagoon with a mix of sea-lice and baby squid.  <: swr

Offline MZeee

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 11:56:53 am »

Just so I've got this right jap macks = chub mackerel; sugar macks = indian mackerel?

No , jap mackerel = pacific saury and sugar mackerel= chub mackerel

Offline Ninja

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 01:10:22 pm »

Reefs my mate caught a tiny kingy at south pier many moons ago on jap mack strips, and i got a few very small blacktails on the same. When fresh the skin is a lot tougher than pilchards/ sards and the oil is a bonus too.

Offline Ninja

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 01:13:08 pm »
I am going fishing this weekend and will report back on Monday.  :hnthnt:
Nice ! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Offline Ninja

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 01:19:32 pm »

I don't think I've ever had a bite with baby squid either. although I have seen my brother pull out two +-5kg pompano from right underneath me in blue lagoon with a mix of sea-lice and baby squid.  <: swr

Baby squid and prawn combo has worked for us from time to time - no decent catches though. My bru actually found the mussels washed up in a ball of rope and seaweed that he use in the combo with the baby squid for that kob. Interesting you mentioned pompano - saw a guy throwing drift trace at lugs/ beechwood for pommies over the last weekend.

Offline Ninja

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 01:23:07 pm »

Stickleback, Jap mack or pacific saury are the ones with the pointy snout and slightly slimmer body profile. Sugar macks are generally fatter and a bit rounder looking.

Offline stickleback

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 05:28:27 pm »
Thanks for sorting that out - there's a LOT of wrong info out there!
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Offline Kes

• Cred: 3
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 09:54:51 am »

No , jap mackerel = pacific saury and sugar mackerel= chub mackerel

The jap mackerel is also known as "pike" or "mackerel pike".

Only thing I ever caught on it is shad and blacktail. I'm gonna try it up here on my next trip to the Vaal to see if the barbel are interested..

Offline Ninja

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 10:39:41 am »
Smart idea. Ive heard of guys using bloody carp heads for barbel so the mackerel should leave a good scent trail too. Let us know if it works.

Offline Ninja

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 10:47:17 am »
Found this pic after some digging - caught on baby squid at Umkomaas about 2 - 3 years back.