Author Topic: Custom rods  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Kes

• Cred: 1
Custom rods
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »
Hi guys,

Is it really worth building custom rods from scratch these days? I have always had my rods builts for me by either Basil Manning or Kingfisher but just by looking at what's available these days, it makes me wonder whether it is really worth it if not for just owning a one off piece.

As an example, I can get a Purglas 300/1, 3 piece Executive carbon (CSX) spinning blank  for just over R650. To get this rod finished would be around R1200 at Basil Manning. And this is a general estimate. With each level of customisation, the cost rises. So all in, call it R2k for a basic build.

Now here's the thing, Basil also retails the 10ft Assassin Rock Hopper for R799 and the 11ft for R899. These are fully built rods and granted its not uniquely customised for you, comes in at a massive price difference. So this is where my question comes from, is it worth it to go custom when you can get a similar rod at almost 50% less.

Happy to hear your thoughts.. 

Online FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
Re: Custom rods
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:07:59 AM »
My personal opinion is that if something off the shelf meets your requirements, then go for it. Otherwise go custom. My last rod is a custom build because it was a very specific requirement.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Marthin

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 44
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
i have off the shelf rods and some custom rods... i don't do the top spec stuff that ive seen other guys do but i have certain parts that are quality.

Some rods i own, especially the light stuff are bought off the shelf and works for what i need.  However you can see the "cheaper" parts like the eyes etc showing corrosion quick.

The 3 rods i fish with the majority of the time, Seagrand ii, BM old G3 (13 years old), and Purglass /4 have all been done by local builders in cape town.

For example i had the flipup removed, i find it overkill for what i do, and on the smaller reels i use, the line actually goes up and then down through a flipup.
Had 16mm eyes done right to the front so i can throw a 1mm or more knotted leader with no hassles.  Fish braid mostly so that was done.
I do not look after the stuff the way i should by cleaning etc, but the last work i had done is 4 years old now and everythin is going strong, i need to replace the top eye of the one BM tip...  You will find the actual eye components are good, but not as good if you trust your builder...

The Rugged for example that i also own but not nearly as long, one trip not washed and you could see clear corrosion, while the Seagrand tips in the same rod tube that are 3 years older, didnt show any.

I'll keep redoing those 3 rods as needed, (and have a purglas/2 blank that needs some tlc), but the others i'll replace if something breaks.

I don't think i'll spend 8 grand on a customised rod ever.  I don't think it will make me catch more fish than my current ones.  Also found that you don't need those expensive grinder rod eyes ALL the way to the front. first 2 stops the excessive loops forming with a grinder.  But certain builders will make you put them on all the way to the top on a 14 and these days 15 foot rods.

Long story short the quality of the rod eyes to me is the most important. I know the purglass old blanks are heavy but are quality blanks with an excellent action from the /0 to the /4 ive held and fished with. After that its cosmetics, the old velcro grip still the best imo because it doesnt slip.  Followed by straight to blank shrink on my seagrand i fish braid with for edibles... you feel the sinker bump everything on the ground straight to your hand.
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Marthin

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 44
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »
My personal opinion is that if something off the shelf meets your requirements, then go for it. Otherwise go custom. My last rod is a custom build because it was a very specific requirement.
Exactly
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 223
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 12:00:29 PM »
It depends what you require from your custom rod builder.

There are a couple of guys around (Fishatic on the forum (Brandon Mcqueen) or Craig Neil) who will spend hours developing a guide train for your specific reel and probable choice of line including hours of hands on testing sometimes more for their own interest than for actual income. These set ups will out perform any off the shelf rod I'm sure of it.

On the other hand many commercial custom rods are nothing more than the usual set ups with a custom choice of guide size and coloured grip and binding.

Keep in mind however that there is a law of diminishing returns. The difference between a Fong Kong XYT guide and a Fuji K Series will be huge however the difference between a K Series and a Fuji Titanium Torzite or what ever they are called is going to be fairly small despite the drastic price difference.

Online FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »
however the difference between a K Series and a Fuji Titanium Torzite or what ever they are called is going to be fairly small despite the drastic price difference.

Have you seen what Torzite costs  :shk :shk :shk :shk :shk ... Using Torzite on my recent build would almost have doubled the price of the entire build... It was a bridge too far for me.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Kes

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:26:15 PM »

Thanks guys. You all make some valid points. Exactly what I was looking for. (clap)

Offline Kes

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 01:41:13 PM »
It depends what you require from your custom rod builder.

There are a couple of guys around (Fishatic on the forum (Brandon Mcqueen) or Craig Neil) who will spend hours developing a guide train for your specific reel and probable choice of line including hours of hands on testing sometimes more for their own interest than for actual income. These set ups will out perform any off the shelf rod I'm sure of it.

On the other hand many commercial custom rods are nothing more than the usual set ups with a custom choice of guide size and coloured grip and binding.

Keep in mind however that there is a law of diminishing returns. The difference between a Fong Kong XYT guide and a Fuji K Series will be huge however the difference between a K Series and a Fuji Titanium Torzite or what ever they are called is going to be fairly small despite the drastic price difference.

Do you perhaps have Brandon or Craig's contact details..??

I am not able to send pm's until I am a senior member.. :clwn
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:41:43 PM by Kes »

Online FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »
Can't help you with Brandon's details but come and meet him at the social on the 9th.

Craig you can get hold of at CDS Angling 012 653 4499

Offline BigBass

• Cred: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 02:24:52 PM »
Brandon @ 0Eight3 TwoThree0 1Four40

Very satisfied with build done by Brandon - you won't be sorry!

Offline MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 196
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »
I'll second that Brandon turns out some fine craftsmanship on the custom builds .  :Like:   

Offline Derash

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 07:55:59 PM »
I guess it all depends on what you can afford.

A first time fisherman with his fong kong rod and reel on his first cast
can catch the fish you have been trying your whole lifetime to catch.

On the other hand a better quality reel and rod will give you more comfort when fishing.
K SERIES for braid..... it makes no sense using them with mono.....

Some fuji guides handles braid very well and after a very long period of use the guide will get worn
and cause damage to your braid.

As i say .....if you can afford it upgrade,customise etc....... Your comfort level will improve

A decent reel, decent rod,good quality line mono/braid,hooks,strong knots and a well presented bait will get you the fish.
If you don't get it......try another time .It's called fishing and not "catching"

The Tackle catches the Angler first.....

That's just my 2 cents worth guys ..... Tight Lines!!!!

Offline ianf

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 37
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 07:19:26 AM »
I'll third that. Brandon turns out some fine craftsmanship on the custom builds. Upgraded my Berkley Air for me. Need to get my other rod to him for him to do his magic on. 

Offline Cage

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 64
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
Just another vote for Brandon's work - have done 3 builds and a number of mods - really happy with quality as well as overall customer service

Offline Derash

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »
Brandon has not done any work for me as yet, but i must say that he and Craig is always willing
to help people make the right decision and give proper advice . :udman: