Author Topic: Hairy Fairy flies  (Read 1618 times)

Offline SPARODON

• Cred: 2
Hairy Fairy flies
« on: April 19, 2017, 02:15:51 pm »
Just thought i will share (and brag a bit) nice collectors item. The glass broke on the frame, so having it reframed.

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
Re: Hairy Fairy flies
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 02:50:15 pm »
nice piece

Online WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:56:59 am »
Really cool  :envy

Offline rockspider

• Cred: 0
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:31:33 am »
very nice, have one hanging in my kitchen, a gift from a late friend many years ago.

Are Hairy Fairy still producing flies?

Offline SPARODON

• Cred: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:49:44 am »
sadly no. closed down about 20 years ago.

found this on the net. some history behind it.

did a copy and paste, so credit to "TALK OF THE TOWN" a local newspaper in port alfred.

THE SPORTING PETERSONS Three weeks ago, I wondered in this column where the Peterson family members, former owners of Albany Sports in Bathurst Street, are these days.
Well, Lyn Peterson, who lives at Ravenswood Retirement Home in Port Alfred, has kindly given me details about the Peterson family, Albany Sports and Hairy Fairy Flies.
She writes that her husband, Brian started Hairy Fairy Flies fishing lures in 1979 with Gordon MacKenzie, tying trout and bass flies in the old premises next to the steam laundry at the rear of the Odeon.
Albany Sports started as an offshoot to the factory as fishermen wanted to purchase fishing tackle, and the factory premises were not zoned for retail purposes.
Albany Sports first opened in a section now occupied by Davies Optometrists, and then moved to larger premises across the road and up from Connock’s Butchery.
Lyn Peterson writes: “Brian ran the shop with the help of Clarence ‘Dutchie’ Hartwell, and the fishing stories never ended, especially when a coffee machine was installed and everyone came for their coffee fix and news of the best place to fish!”
After the factory burnt down in 1987, it was moved to behind Albany Sports, and son Mike Peterson joined the ranks and worked mainly in the factory.
“Our other son Gerald,” continued Lyn, “also came into the business, mainly in the shop, thus allowing Brian to retire to Port Alfred.”
Brian Peterson really loved being at the sea, fishing to his heart’s content and also playing plenty of golf. Unfortunately, he had not been retired for long when he passed away.
The Petersons sold the shop in 1997 and Gerald moved to London, and is now working for Goldman Sachs financial and investment bank in New York.
Mike eventually closed the factory and moved to Johannesburg, where he now works for a solar geyser company.
Sadly, Albany Sports and Hairy Fairy Flies are no more in Grahamstown, and the Peterson family members have moved on.

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:25 am »
thanks for sharing that piece of history from hairy fairy flies. it kind of completes the cycle with my past, it was all i bought when i started out fly fishing and used well into many years of fly fishing until i took up fly tying. from time to time i still see a few packs in tackle shops, they stop me in tracks for a quick stare, giving me those faint chivers of good memories

Offline rockspider

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:10:30 pm »
Thank you for the info.
@Bassbug, agree with your comments. First fly i ever bought was a Hairy Fairy Woolly Bugger. First fly I ever tied was a Woolly Bugger inspired by my first fly I bought. Mias Benoni! East Rand Flyrodders used to meet there every Saturday for tea, biscuits, stories and retail therapy

Offline justplainphil

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 05:19:44 am »
I still have some of their packs . I used to take a few packs at a time, it was the best way for me to stock my boxes .

Offline keats10

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 10:36:17 am »
Very cool