Author
Topic: Stealth X-Treme SXR 7033  (Read 1102 times)

Offline philter

• Phil
  • Cred: 0
  • WishIcould
Stealth X-Treme SXR 7033
« on: August 10, 2016, 04:25:21 pm »
Afternoon All
So after a break of 20+ years, I thought I might try my hand at fly fishing again, and was thinking of starting with a 3# for smaller streams and a 5# for other stuff, maybe build up to a 7/8# in the future.

I was lucky to be gifted with a Stealth X-Treme 7" 3# rod, I know the rod was bought about 8 years ago and never used, I already have a 3# reel to pair with the rod.

When I took the plastic cover off the handle, I noticed that the reel seat does not have a threaded part where you can tighten the reel on, it seems to have a sliding ferrule as per the pic.

My thinking is this, surely the ferrule will damage the cork on the hand grip if all you do is jam it over the reel mount, and how secure can it really be, I really don't want to be trying to cast and have the reel fall off the rod, I can't find any info or pics on the Stealth website as they don't list this rod.

How good is the rod, is it worth it to have the handle/reel seat replaced and keeping it, or would it be better to get a new rod.

I would be grateful for any info, if anybody has used this rod and can comment, thanks in advance.

Offline SPARODON

• Cred: 2
Re: Stealth X-Treme SXR 7033
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 04:43:52 pm »
keep it. they are scarce. its a light rod, and that is the design of the reel seat to keep it as light as possible. it is not uncommon to find those reel seats in the lighter rods. due to the spongy nature of the cork, and the fact that your hand is above the reel seat, it is more than secure enough for light fishing.

Offline philter

• Phil
  • Cred: 0
  • WishIcould
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 10:55:10 am »
SPARODON, thanks for the reply, have never fished a 3# before, back then only ever fished still water with a 5#.

So will leave it as it is.

Offline SPARODON

• Cred: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:26:06 am »
i fish mostly off the float tube these days, and i fish with a 7'6 3 weight. i prefer the shorter length off the tube, because you dont need long casts, and it makes netting the fish easier. you will enjoy the rod. good luck