Author
Topic: Okuma Azores - Z-55S - Review and Maintenance Tutorial  (Read 16630 times)

Offline WaterKind

• Cred: 0
Re: Okuma Azores - Z-55S - Review and Maintenance Tutorial
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 04:01:05 pm »
The Bg is definitely the better reel but at twice the price. So depending on how often you will be using the reel  I would take the price difference also into consideration .

Offline Kishan213

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 03:57:26 pm »
Brilliant reel and best bang for buck in my opinion... Fished 2 seasons only spinning and reel has performed extremely well. Only downside is it heavier when compared to the stradic 5000... I have the z55 paired with 11ft Amia. Comfortable to fish with for a few hours at a time and casts well too.  :tite

Offline soupcan

• Cred: 2
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 04:06:09 pm »
I've recently noticed the start of a failure on my Azores Z-55S  - please can someone help point me in the right direction as what bearings to replace and where to source them.  Now for the details:

I've mostly enjoyed this reel, and landed a few nice fish with it - but when I crank the handle and let it "free wheel" when line is tucked away - I notice that it's not spinning very freely anymore. 2 rotations and then stops abruptly, also not smooth anymore. Then last week I went yellowtail fishing and the added pressure of 3.5kg fish on the line made the reel perform very poorly.  I struggled to crank it and it made a horrible almost grating sound.

I purchased this reel used (in excellent condition) and have also had a few break offs where I have put the reel under high pressure until the line snapped, so it's not some kind of manufacturing fault - just think a bearing has been put under too much pressure and needs replacing. I have kept it away from sand and rinsed in fresh water after use.  I'm happy to DIY this issue, just need help with someone suggesting which bearings to replace and where I can source them from please.  Cape Town City Bowl based.

Thank you!

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 747
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 08:45:09 am »
Contact Jonathan's Reel Repairs, based in Cape Town.

Now is not a good time to go fishing... said nobody... EVER!!

Online Nathan4558

• Cred: 1
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 10:05:59 pm »
Thanks very much for an informative tutorial again Reefman!!

A question from a Vaalie who will use a spinning setup like this twice a year, which reel would you prefer between the Penn Fierce 2 5000 and the Okuma Azores z-55s? I think the Okuma is R150 odd more.

I am looking to pair the reel with the Loomis Archipelago 11ft and 20lb Boss braid slick.

As my budget is limited and I am looking for a relatively robust & multi purpose spinning setup for Garrick, Kob, Shad, Natal snoek etc on lures. Would you say that it would be a decent setup?

Kind regards

Nathan

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 08:45:29 am »
In my opinion, both those reels are too big to use on an 11ft rod. Shimano size 5000 would be the biggest I'd use. The Azores Z-55 is about the Shimano 6000 size.

Offline Ivan Roos

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 09:32:34 am »
Reefman, would like to send you a couple of photos of broken parts - can I email direct. Cheers

Online Nathan4558

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 09:58:25 am »
Thanks Reefman!

I have now had a look at the Shimano Sedona C5000XG and it retails for around R1000 which is smack bang on my budgets limit. Would this Sedona then be a better choice than the Penn Fierce 2 in a 4000 (R1050) size and the Okuma z40 (R1200)?

Thanks for your patience with me  :blush:

:resp:

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 221
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 10:03:08 am »
Reefman, would like to send you a couple of photos of broken parts - can I email direct. Cheers

Why not post it here so that everyone can learn?

Offline REEFMAN

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 11:23:32 am »
Thanks Reefman!

I have now had a look at the Shimano Sedona C5000XG and it retails for around R1000 which is smack bang on my budgets limit. Would this Sedona then be a better choice than the Penn Fierce 2 in a 4000 (R1050) size and the Okuma z40 (R1200)?

Thanks for your patience with me  :blush:

:resp:

In my opinion, you can't go much wrong with a Shimano spinning reel. I have a Sedona myself and it's a solid reel. I've never fished with either of the others, so can't really compare honestly. If it was me, no question I'd go for the Shimano.

Offline soupcan

• Cred: 2
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 11:28:42 am »
So I've been having this gradual decline in my Azores 55 - where I thought a bearing was sticking.  Basically the spool would only spin half a revolution when free in my hand - it felt like a stuck bearing.  So I tore it down completely and none of the bearings were bad - all smooth.  Then I tried to turn the oscillator gear by hand and it was seizing up.  So I pulled it off, cleaned it and it was still sticking.

I managed to solve the problem by taking off a tiny amount of the gears inner bush mating surface using a fine tooth crescent file in a small lathe and then buffing it with 800 waterpaper.  Added some grease and perfect again.  I probably took of 0.2mm or so - very little but enough to make the reel freespool for 4 turns again.  Not Shimano smooth - but much better than it was.  You could do this without a lathe by using 400 grit paper rolled into a stick and inserted into the centre of the gear - spin it a few times repeatedly until you have taken off just enough to make it fit perfectly.  Don't over do this! You will then have to buff and de-burr with 800 paper before you can refit.

I'm not sure what made the body of the graphite bush swell up - but there would be no other way to fix this Okuma Azores 55 problem.

Maybe this helps someone.

I've recently noticed the start of a failure on my Azores Z-55S  - please can someone help point me in the right direction as what bearings to replace and where to source them.  Now for the details:

I've mostly enjoyed this reel, and landed a few nice fish with it - but when I crank the handle and let it "free wheel" when line is tucked away - I notice that it's not spinning very freely anymore. 2 rotations and then stops abruptly, also not smooth anymore. Then last week I went yellowtail fishing and the added pressure of 3.5kg fish on the line made the reel perform very poorly.  I struggled to crank it and it made a horrible almost grating sound.

I purchased this reel used (in excellent condition) and have also had a few break offs where I have put the reel under high pressure until the line snapped, so it's not some kind of manufacturing fault - just think a bearing has been put under too much pressure and needs replacing. I have kept it away from sand and rinsed in fresh water after use.  I'm happy to DIY this issue, just need help with someone suggesting which bearings to replace and where I can source them from please.  Cape Town City Bowl based.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:19:51 pm by soupcan »

Offline Murray

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 12:32:28 am »
Thank you very much for the comprehensive instruction on the azores 5500.I bought one on recommendation of Adam the owner of midas umhlatazane used it for awhile and bought another.thanks Adam great advice and at R870 from midas they are a great price.
Murray

Offline Solly

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 02:29:46 pm »
I recently bought myself a Okuma Azores 65S and tried it for the first time, but I got a huge surprise on the performance on this reel. Very powerful and with great handling. I am leaving for Port Alfred to do some test runs there. Is there any suggestions or tips for that area as it is my first trip there. Leaving at the end of June.
 :happ:

Offline Bamboes-Vis

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 12:38:25 pm »
Please slap me if it has been discussed, but what is the difference between the Azores and the Salina?