Author
Topic: Fly fishing vs artificial lure fishing.  (Read 846 times)

Offline Seventenths

• Ultimate Legend
  • Cred: 0
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
Fly fishing vs artificial lure fishing.
« on: March 12, 2016, 09:08:42 am »
Yesterday decided I needed to wet a line and as we only could fish the new tilapia ponds at Lualaba my Friend Hannes and I made a challenge of it.... Fly vs artificial lure. We did not expect much as the pond is only a few months old and only a few sub adults were introduced but we knew they were breeding and there plenty of young fish so the need was for SMALL lures and flies. We only had about an hour of light after work so off we went. Hannes started with a small white worm (see image) and was soon 5 up. My frustration at the drubbing (even by 150g fish ) was immense. I changed to the smallest flies I could scratch out of the collection Lenny had given me. I had a 5wt intermediate line with tapered Tippett on my Shilton reel and a 8ft stealth rod. I am not a experienced fly fisher but got the talapia to follow almost every cast but not takers... Just a few knocks. I slowed it down a bit but still nada!! 5 - 0 drubbing was embarassing to say the least. As it got dark I changed flies and eventually out of frustration started to yank in the line the last few feet and went strait on. I landed a fish but it was getting dark. I tried the same again and another fish on 5-2, one more try and there I was .... 5-3 some pride salvaged and the light was gone... Artificial so won the day but next time..... :hnthnt:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 09:25:04 am by Seventenths »

Offline WalkersKiller

• Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Cred: 365
  • Conservation First!
Re: Fly fishing vs artificial lure fishing.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:56:28 am »
Awesome stuff 7/10!  :happ:

Online SAfish

• Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 136
Re: Fly fishing vs artificial lure fishing.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 10:24:17 am »
From chasing marlin in the deep to catching Tilapia in a pond in the DRC, you are a fishaholic.  :hehe: :udman: