Author
Topic: Phenix Travel Rod  (Read 4267 times)

Offline Harvard 16

• Cred: 12
Phenix Travel Rod
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:18:14 am »

I've been wanting to upgrade my travel rod , and after researching some blanks settled on the 3 pc 8ft Phenix rated 12-30lb.

I was also keen to get away from Fuji for a while and try building with some high end ALPS components. I was fortune enough to have my younger boet pay me a visit from the Seattle, as he only lives 20 minutes from Batsons, he was able to bring out the ALPS kit needed,  in the new triangular 'Insight' aluminium reel seat, butt, and guide set.

So all set to go, I'll take my time on this one, at the price of these components can't afford to balls it up. I'll get back with pics of the end result.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:04:38 pm by Harvard 16 »

Offline SPARODON

• Cred: 2
Re: Phenix Travel Rod
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 12:38:22 pm »
Niiice!!!
Its good to see more people are willing to try something else than fuji. You wont be disappointed. Please keep us updated. Which guides did you get?

Offline Harvard 16

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 02:17:40 pm »
Hi Sparodon, thanks, the guides are the 'VD- SS 316 Stainless frames with Zirconium rings.

Offline Seventenths

• Ultimate Legend
  • Cred: 0
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 02:51:05 pm »
I love those Triangular reel seats.. I have one in anodised blue and one on a fly rod in beige.. it looks so smart. Good luck with the build - hope there no hitches.... :envy
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:52:12 pm by Seventenths »

Offline Gerhard

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 75
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 06:38:04 pm »
Dont bring in with to Mafia...

It might get transfered into my rod tube... :hnthnt: :hnthnt:

Offline Harvard 16

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 03:07:30 am »
Tony, it was actually seeing that beaut rod that Koos built you that made me want to try a build with that type of reel seat.

Gerhard, no it's definitely not going on that trip, 2 days after I get back from Mafia, I'm heading to Jeju Island, which is the southern most Island in South Korea, the wife booked it as a family holiday, and at first I didn't think much of it, I thought it would be the usual story, turn up with a passport and get the last corner of the suit case for my clothes, but subsequently I've discovered it's a real hot spot for yellowtail kingfish , spinning from the rocks, and November is peak session for them, I'll be there last week of Oct, hopefully that will be close enough, so that's what this ones for.

Offline Gerhard

• Ultimate member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 11:23:15 am »
Tony, it was actually seeing that beaut rod that Koos built you that made me want to try a build with that type of reel seat.

Gerhard, no it's definitely not going on that trip, 2 days after I get back from Mafia, I'm heading to Jeju Island, which is the southern most Island in South Korea, the wife booked it as a family holiday, and at first I didn't think much of it, I thought it would be the usual story, turn up with a passport and get the last corner of the suit case for my clothes, but subsequently I've discovered it's a real hot spot for yellowtail kingfish , spinning from the rocks, and November is peak session for them, I'll be there last week of Oct, hopefully that will be close enough, so that's what this ones for.

Nice,

Get some GT Ice creams plugs for those yellowtails...

Its a bucket list trip.

Offline Harvard 16

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 06:14:05 am »
Finally got some time to finish this travel rod.

I ended up a bit disappointed with the phenix 3pc blank, after spine'ing the 3 sections on assembly , there's a fair bit of crookedness evident, maybe acceptable for a cheap blank, but I'd expect better from a $170 one. I did consider briefly aligning the sections so they ran straight, but then the spines would all be out, so opted to stay with alligned spines. I'd be interested how some of the other DIY builders would handle this if they encountered it.

Also put a taper into the butt section grip, much like whats seen in Race point rods.

Now just need to wait for the opportunity to give it a spin.

Offline Gerhard

• Ultimate member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 06:45:08 am »
Looks stunning...

Hope you get to bend it on a fish soon!

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 08:36:33 am »
Awesome, but yeah... would have expected more from Phenix. Please let us know about that first good dustup.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Prego

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 167
  • Because I said so
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 10:56:42 am »
Love that reel seat and gimbal  :ayb

Don't know anything about rod building, so I need to ask what you mean by crookedness?

Offline Harvard 16

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 12:10:53 pm »
Thanks guys.

This Prego! The pic maybe doesn't show it to clearly but looking down the rod the tip is about 1cm off the straight axis to the right side. the deflection can be distinctly seen at the top section joint.

Like all rods, Each of the 3 sections has it's own spine which is basically the natural backbone of the blanks which comes about during the manufacturing process, these have been aligned and conventional wisdom would say the rod should if anything have a slight curve dipping down towards the ground at the tip section.

That's why I was interested in asking the question to other rod builders if they would have stuck with an aligned spine and the bend off to the right  or rather turned the top section so that curve of the rod is down and the blank looks straight when looking down it, however then the spines would be misaligned.

Offline SPARODON

• Cred: 2
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 01:47:02 pm »
personally i think the importance of spining on shorter 3 piece rods is overrated. this is not a long rod used for distance casting. the fact that you spined the bottom pieces would have been sufficient. that said, whats done is done. dont sweat it too much. because you spent so much time with the rod, you tend to become over critical of your own work. walk into any tackle shop, pick up a rod and REALLY look at it. you will be surprised at the amount of small "mistakes" (at lack of a better word) you spot. if anybody else pick up your rod, they wont even notice it.
beautiful work on a world class blank. enjoy the rod, and dont let something that small take away from the pleasure.

safrican01

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 02:00:46 am »
Hi Harvard - Did you have any luck on Jeju island? I am here right now, just waiting for an online tackle order to arrive then going to catch the ferry over to Chuja island to do some land based spinning. Curious to hear if you managed to find any tail spots in the time you were here.