Author Topic: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.  (Read 28802 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 08:18:41 AM »
 :win: love working on this Heath Robinson type project :bow:, but I can never leave well alone :dunno: .tinker here. adjust there :nuts: :craz: . Drives the missus nuts. :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
This is awesome .


Will send you guys some mackerel to smoke .


I would love to smoke a pork rib in there .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 09:24:23 AM »
Great info CRANKMAN! Hahaha I haven't tried barbel yet only trout but still trying to find the texture I want. I rub the fish with a mixture of brown sugar and course salt then place it in a zip lock bag for around 8 hours then wash it off and smoke it for another 4 to 8 hours. Slice it super thin and it is delicious. I need to find this crown brine mixture now! If I want to hot smoke it I just shorten the pipe and pile the wood in the little can.
I get the brine mix from a catering supplier in 1 kg packs (makes 5 litres wet brine, which is good for about 6 kgs of belly), but most butchers buy it in bulk and would probably give / sell you a bit. It speeds up the process a bit - 20 hrs for belly, and from what I have read, about 20 mins for fish.
Try drying your fish a bit longer in the fridge or on a chilly night, with a fan, till it has a nice glassy shine before smoking to get a firmer texture.
I hoped the fatty content in the meat of barbel would behave like herring when smoked, ending up tasting like a Scottish kipper. I must give it another try.
Barbel is so ugly and has a bad name, but filleted smoked and given a fancy name, I think it could be a winner - "Cold smoked African sharptooth", your mates will love it!
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »
Hahaha they wouldn't tell the difference! Maybe im curing the fish too long? Its good but I can do better. Can you wet brine fish? This is the batch I did yesterday.
Reach for a bream!

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 12:18:16 PM »
Gavin, that looks finger licking good!

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »
That looks superb - I can almost smell it from here.  :cgrts:
Herrings are often wet cured, so I'm sure other fish could be as well.
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 12:31:34 PM »
you guys are going to get seriously straffed for this.....

my mouths watering here...

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 03:02:15 PM »
you guys are going to get seriously straffed for this.....

my mouths watering here...
:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:  Maybe ill bring some tastes to the next social  :hnthnt:
Reach for a bream!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »
That looks superb - I can almost smell it from here.  :cgrts:
Herrings are often wet cured, so I'm sure other fish could be as well.
Thanks CRANKMAN!!! Well we just ganna have to experiment till we get it right w;k Keep posting your ideas and progress.
Reach for a bream!

Offline Chigger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 547
  • Cred: 26
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »
Eish, those bacon pics made me so hungry...... :nobs:

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2015, 09:28:12 AM »
Gav something I tried which worked pretty well was to roll one of the cured pork bellies that has not been smoked, and then I hung it in the biltong dryer for 3-4 days. Came out awesome! I also took a crack at dry curing some deboned warthog shoulder and leg - had to lock my fridge when any of my mates came over, super stuff.

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2015, 09:39:32 AM »
Wow wow wow that is some awesome stuff there Rory  :shk  Very nice idea im going to try that!!! :rck"
Reach for a bream!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
Let us know your method of curing and smoking Rory  :hnthnt:
Reach for a bream!

Offline Nooduck

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 275
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Fourways Johannesburg
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »
Looks great Rory. Yes please let us know more about your process.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 09:54:42 AM »
Let us know your method of curing and smoking Rory  :hnthnt:

I've only ever dry cure pork. I'm old school - although I have premixed curing salt, I prefer to mix my own. Then I just add aromatic herbs and sugar to the salt mix and vacuum pack. Leave it in the fridge a week, turning the packs over whenever I remember to. Panceta will get hung in the biltong box, and bacon in the smoker. I don't have a fancy smoker, I just use one of those shoebox type efforts. Took plenty stuffups of epic proportions to get that thing to cold smoke, but its possible, and very quick.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »
In fact that little shoebox smoker does an amazing job smoking cheese, delicious  :corrct:

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
Interesting! How long does panceta  cure for?
Reach for a bream!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 10:16:25 AM »
Interesting! How long does panceta  cure for?

I dry cure it for a week in the fridge, same as the bacon, then 3-4 days in the biltong box to extract more moisture  :corrct:

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2015, 10:19:31 AM »
Well done Rory, that all looks amazing.
Give us a bit more insight to your methods.
Do you add nitrates / nitrites to you dry cure mix?
How long do you smoke for, and how long does your cured meat keep without freezing?
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Frankenstein!!! My home made cost effective cold smoker.
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
Well done Rory, that all looks amazing.
Give us a bit more insight to your methods.
Do you add nitrates / nitrites to you dry cure mix?
How long do you smoke for, and how long does your cured meat keep without freezing?

Nitrates Sean, I add saltpetre to my salt - very carefully... :craz: In my little smoker its incredibly easy to seriously oversmoke, so once I've got the woodchips smoking proper no more than 5 minutes! After curing/smoking/drying I generally re-vacuum pack the meat, and keep it in the fridge. Its all scoffed after 3 weeks so that's the longest I've kept any without freezing!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal