Author
Topic: Question for rodbuilders  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Cage

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 64
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
Question for rodbuilders
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
For guys in the know, and it may be a stupid question -  is it possible to mod a 1 piece rod into a 2-3 piece stick?

Offline E.T.

• Cred: 87
Re: Question for rodbuilders
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Saw your PM before I saw the post, hope I have answered your question though.

Offline Cage

• Ultimate member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
E.T, shot for the PM - yes definitely answers the question, I just replied - clearly we need to discuss further...........

Offline Half-Pint

• CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 222
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »
Please don't do this all via PM.

The point of the forum is to share information with other anglers, unfortunately none of us gain anything with PMs flying back and forth

Offline E.T.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 09:31:16 AM »

The point of the forum is to share information with other anglers, unfortunately none of us gain anything with PMs flying back and forth

I knew when I saw the thread after I replied via PM, that someone was going to jump in......

Give the wrong guy to use the rod and he can convert it to a 7 piece...... :hehe:

Yes you can convert a 1 piece to a two or 3 piece. You are going to change the action a bit, but thats not what it's about. You want the convenience of traveling comfort.Now you will have to cut the blank and then you will need a spigot ferrule in the bottom two sections if this is a 3 piece. Now what you will have to make sure of is that the spigots fits nice and snug in both the bottom and top section, otherwise you will have sections flying on your first cast.

The spigots can be broken rod sections or solid graphite or glass or hollow sections that are strong enough.Now there is a way of cutting the blank and to work out the length of the spigot so that all 3 sections will be the same length. You get the 3 equal parts, then you minus the length of the spigot that you would like to stick out. If its 80mm, then you cut the blank 80mm from your original marking. This way you will end up with 3 equal rod sections.Make sure that the spigots is about 80-100mm both on the outside and inside of the previous section so your spigot length should be 160-200mm in total length. 80-100 inside the butt and 80-100mm inside the next section.

You will also have to move the guides to accommodate the splits.I usually remove everything. Why well a tapered spigot doesn't fit all too well from the top now does it? But you can slide it in from the bottom/butt section of each section and then glue it in place. Stay away from epoxies. Use something like Rod Finish i.e. Flexcoat, Procote, etc to keep the section in place. Why? You want it to flex with the rod.

Well thats all there is to it really.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:36:13 AM by E.T. »

Offline E.T.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »
I assumed it was a Rock and Surf or Carp rod.

But it's in fact a 7'6 Spinning rod, so here one could actually go shorter on the Spigots.
I would go for 50-70mm Spigots.

Offline Cage

• Ultimate member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
ja, from my side, I want to build a baitcasting rod that I can easily travel with for tigerfish spinning. Factory options are either 7ft or those that will serve the purpose come in overpriced. So I wanted to take one of my 7'6 bass flipping sticks and mod to a 3 piece, I want the little bit of extra length for longer casts

Offline John F

• Cred: 517
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 10:32:49 AM »

:corrct:

Thanks for sharing the info with the rest of the gang E.T.

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013