Author Topic: A learning experience  (Read 81390 times)

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 30
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #900 on: August 27, 2019, 05:58:04 PM »
66 cm fork length shad (elf) on a 30 g CID slimbait in Chartreuse colour. Safely released after the photo.

Tackle used: 10.3 ft Majorcraft X-ride 30 - 100 g rod, Daiwa Magsealed 4000 reel and 20 lb Grinder 8x braid.

Online MIKE PIKE

• "The Mongoose"
  • Ultimate Hero
  • Cred: 196
« Reply #901 on: August 27, 2019, 07:07:29 PM »
 (clap) proper shad..

Offline emjay

• Cred: 18
« Reply #902 on: August 28, 2019, 05:38:08 AM »
Yoh that is a bus!! Well done on the catch and even more well done on the release
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline Adams

• Cred: 0
« Reply #903 on: September 01, 2019, 09:13:05 PM »
Another, smaller, natal snoek (queen mackerel) on shore slow pitch jigging. 40 g Majorcraft jigpara long spoon in zebra glow colour.

Tackle used: 10.6 ft Majorcraft N-one 30 - 60 g slow jigging rod, Daiwa BG3000 reel with 20 lb Sufix131 braid.

Good evening.
The pic in this post shows your Jigpara Slow Spoon without the Single hook at the back.
Have you removed it?

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #904 on: September 05, 2019, 11:36:27 AM »
Another, smaller, natal snoek (queen mackerel) on shore slow pitch jigging. 40 g Majorcraft jigpara long spoon in zebra glow colour.

Tackle used: 10.6 ft Majorcraft N-one 30 - 60 g slow jigging rod, Daiwa BG3000 reel with 20 lb Sufix131 braid.

Good evening.
The pic in this post shows your Jigpara Slow Spoon without the Single hook at the back.
Have you removed it?

Hi, yes I removed it on this occasion because the particular spot comes with quite high snagging risk. Removing the bottom hook lowers snagging risk. But fish hookup rate also declines somewhat. So its a trade-off to consider on merit.

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #905 on: September 13, 2019, 02:06:36 PM »
Had to sit on the sideline for a full 2 weeks due to a small operation. But on Monday the Dr gave me the thumbs up to get back onto the playing field.

So going tight with a proper natal snoek to get back into the groove was simply delightful!

This snoek ate a CID pink glow couta casting no 2 spoon.

Tackle used: Majorcraft X-ride 10.3 ft 30 - 100 g slow jigging rod paired with a Daiwa BG4000 magsealed reel filled with 20 lb Grinder 8x braid, 50 lb JDB braid casting leader and 56 lb Bite Me Fluorocarbon leader.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:12:13 PM by Steenie »

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #906 on: September 13, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »
Sorry, I have no clue why the photo is upside down or how to fix it on this platform.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #907 on: September 13, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
Sorry, I have no clue why the photo is upside down or how to fix it on this platform.

Fishing in Oz  :-)
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #908 on: September 13, 2019, 02:31:22 PM »

Fishing in Oz  :-)

Looks like it yes!

Offline Rockslide

• Cred: 1
« Reply #909 on: October 28, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »
Steenie

What can I say but  :tkx: :tkx: :tkx:
You Sir  :udman:

I am totally stoked after reading this whole thread.
When I see the pics I get heart palpitations, really.

I am now properly "Hengels" after this.
May you be blessed with many fish for sharing this with us.
Again :tkx:

Be blessed. Be safe.
Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #910 on: October 28, 2019, 03:20:24 PM »
Steenie

What can I say but  :tkx: :tkx: :tkx:
You Sir  :udman:

I am totally stoked after reading this whole thread.
When I see the pics I get heart palpitations, really.

I am now properly "Hengels" after this.
May you be blessed with many fish for sharing this with us.
Again :tkx:

Be blessed. Be safe.

Hi Rockslide,

Thank you for your very kind words. It means a lot to me and motivates me even further. Fishing has been slow lately due to work and bad weather, but hopefully I will be able to post new content soon!

Tight lines!

Riekert.

Offline CRANKMAN

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 52
« Reply #911 on: October 29, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
Fantastic fish again.  :cgrts: 
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #912 on: November 23, 2019, 10:48:35 AM »
I have an exciting story to tell you today. It pertains to the long-standing ORI tagging programme, of which the pros and cons are often feverishly debated on this forum by its proponents and critics. [/font]

I have been a public member of the ORI tagging programme since its year of inception, more than 30 years ago. But this morning early the most remarkable thing happened to me that I think very few have the privilege to experience, whether you tag fish or not. [/font]

On 18 March 2019 I caught a bigeye kingfish from the shore here in Durban on a prototype pink glow slow pitch jigging spoon that I was testing at that stage.[/font]

I remember this particular fish well, especially how I treated it whilst in my care. After landing the fish it went head first immediately into a bucket of sea water to ensure that  it was kept out of water for as short as possible. I only handled the fish with wet hands. I tagged the fish with an impeccably clean tagging applicator. And then I took a quick selfie and released the fish. [/font]

Well this morning, 22 November 2019, I was spinning at the exact same spot where I tagged and released the fish. I noted a shoal of these bigeye kingfish hanging around a piece of reef. Each time I casted the spoon close to the shoal the fish scattered in all directions but then congregated again. I could not raise a proper bite on the CID pink glow couta no 2 spoon that I had on. So I down-scaled to the smaller no 1 version. I again casted at the shoal with the fish scattering in all directions. But this time I went tight![/font]

I subsequently landed the fish and saw that it had a tag in it. The fish was clearly in good condition and feisty during the brief fight.  While keeping the fish in a bucket of sea water I scraped the thin layer of algal growth off the tag to reveal the tag number. I also measured the fork length of the fish before releasing it back into the sea. [/font]

When I checked my tagging database later this morning I was astonished to discover that I have recaptured the same fish that I tagged on 18 March this year! What is the chances of this happening when you throw a lure into a shoal of fish?[/font]

The length measurements revealed that this fish has grown 25 mm since 18 March 2019. The fact that it was recaptured in the exact same location shows that it is highly territorial. Now if this is not worthwhile scientific information then I don’t know what is.[/font]

So all the critics of the ORI tagging programme take note of this success story. I do certainly agree with the critics that not all fish are handled and tagged as they should. And this can certainly be to the detriment of the fish being tagged. But if done correctly, valuable scientific information can be gleaned from the tagging efforts by the public participants in the programme. [/font]

So how can we make progress on addressing some of the criticisms against the ORI tagging programme? I would like to end this remarkable story by making a suggestion to ORI:[/font]

Education is king. Educate your members. The best practise tagging manual and video is on the ORI website, but do new members really study this content? What about developing an online test which new members must first pass at a very high mark before the tagging kit is made available to them. This will force new members to engage with the manual and study it. Ultimately this will ensure that more fish is being tagged correctly. It will also ensure that only persons that are truly committed to tagging joins the programme. [/font]

Included are the two photos of this remarkable fish. One taken on 18 March 2019 and again today, 22 November 2019. [/font]

I hope I see my special friend again one day.[/font]

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #913 on: November 23, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
18 March 2019.

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #914 on: November 23, 2019, 10:50:27 AM »
22 November 2019.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 50
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #915 on: November 23, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »
Lekker story... Thanks bud. It's reasons like this that keep me glued to my forum. A tail like this will be around on FB for a few days but will shortly get buried by our collective propensity for ADD. A big hi 5 Steenie  :+ cred:
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline colin

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #916 on: November 23, 2019, 05:19:03 PM »
Steenie :bow: :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline BJR

• Ben
  • Ultimate member
  • Cred: 11
  • When Fishing , SIZE does not matter !!
« Reply #917 on: November 23, 2019, 10:42:53 PM »
Jy was redelik lank afwesig sonder enige interesante stories, & nou gebeur die feitlike onmoontlike
Dit is iets wat jou sal by bly vir altyd in jou hengel anale.
Wel gedaan......Deja Vu  duh :cgrts:

Offline John F

• Cred: 518
  • Virtus et Honos
« Reply #918 on: November 24, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »
Congrats! Great stuff....

I wonder what is the story with this: "...of which the pros and cons are often feverishly debated on this forum by its proponents and critics".

I understand this was posted in several platforms and thus "this forum" does not necessarily means UA .... but I wonder what are those critics saying/negating the value of the ORI tagging program?!?!

It is probably one of the oldest running program in the world... so much valuable info has been obtained and papers produced and recommendations/management actions put forward, that it is hard to believe people still have negative things to say about it...

Suppose in this day and age, every body behind a keyboard and screen has an expert OPINION on everything and feels the need to air it!!!!

Keep up the awesome work Steenie!

:+ cred:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:16:30 AM by John F »
UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
« Reply #919 on: November 24, 2019, 03:21:32 PM »
Congrats! Great stuff....

I wonder what is the story with this: "...of which the pros and cons are often feverishly debated on this forum by its proponents and critics".

I understand this was posted in several platforms and thus "this forum" does not necessarily means UA .... but I wonder what are those critics saying/negating the value of the ORI tagging program?!?!

It is probably one of the oldest running program in the world... so much valuable info has been obtained and papers produced and recommendations/management actions put forward, that it is hard to believe people still have negative things to say about it...

Suppose in this day and age, every body behind a keyboard and screen has an expert OPINION on everything and feels the need to air it!!!!

Keep up the awesome work Steenie!

:+ cred:

Yes for sure, the word “forum” did not imply UA! The programme get criticized by many because of the wounds and infection that are sometimes seen on recaptured fish. I do feel many fish are not tagged correctly and/or handled correctly during the process. The critics have a valid point. New members must be educated much more stringently in my opinion.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal