Author
Topic: A learning experience  (Read 52995 times)

Offline Zak-e-Boy

• Cred: 13
  • Everyday's a Holiday - Umhlanga
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #780 on: July 12, 2018, 09:23:34 am »
Riekert hi ! Any chance of giving us a "hands on" review on the BG 3000 which you have been using most recently, thank you, regards Peter.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:31:39 pm by Zak-e-Boy »

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 25
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
« Reply #781 on: July 12, 2018, 02:11:39 pm »
Rickert hi ! Any chance of giving us a "hands on" review on the BG 3000 which you have been using most recently, thank you, regards Peter.

Awesome reel for light tackle spinning. Pairs up excellently (in terms of weight balance and application) with my 10.6 ft 1 -2 oz Majorcraft N-one rod for slow jigging with spoons, bucktails and soft plastics where the retrieve speed is much slower than for full-on fast retrieve spinning with spoons and plugs. For really fast retrieving applications the Shimano Stradic 5000 or Twinpower 5000 certainly feels more comfortable. Having said that, I have caught a snoek of the beach this year with the BG3000 on fast retrieve. So it can certainly do the job when asked. Drag of BG3000 is ultra-smooth due to the Carbontex drag washers that the reel came out with. Line lay is perfect and wind knots is not an issue, even with a spool filled to the maximum.

Only problem I had so far is a drag knob that broke. However, the guys at The Kingfisher replaced it free of charge with a new drag knob. Reel is now more than 6 months old and get used very regularly (up to 5 days a week). And I am still very happy with it.

Look, when it comes to try and handle bigger fish in the bricks I will choose my Shimano Twinpower any day. But for light tackle fun from the sandy beaches and amongst some scattered reef its very good value for money in my humble opinion.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #782 on: July 12, 2018, 02:33:12 pm »
(up to 5 days a week).

Dude... that's just not cool... That's way too much information for me to handle from this side of my desk.  :shk

w;k
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Steenie

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 25
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
« Reply #783 on: July 12, 2018, 02:39:33 pm »
(up to 5 days a week).

Dude... that's just not cool... That's way too much information for me to handle from this side of my desk.  :shk

Hahahaha - ok for very short sessions mostly, 1 maybe 2 hours per session!

w;k

Offline Zak-e-Boy

• Cred: 13
  • Everyday's a Holiday - Umhlanga
« Reply #784 on: July 12, 2018, 10:42:20 pm »
Thanks Riekert appreciate your input, I have both the Stradic 5000 and BG 3000 reels and I'm quite happy with both. There just seemed to be quite a bit of negativity around the BG's at the moment and I thought it would be a good idea to get some feedback from someone like yourself who is doing a lot more beach spinning than many of us.[size=78%]    [/size]