Author Topic: A learning experience  (Read 252507 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #740 on: May 20, 2018, 06:59:48 PM »
I am using the Majorcraft Jigpara Slow spoons. They cast well over 100 m and they have deadly action. 40 and 50 g ones.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #741 on: May 20, 2018, 07:00:59 PM »
Can believe.
Just need to get folks to use the right tackle and a whole world opens up....

Yes the right rod is critical!

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #742 on: May 20, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »
Nice Riekert!What lure is that last one? Storm Koika?
3 assist hooks??

I was very sceptical regarding these assists when I first started using these spoons. However, they are simply deadly. And because they are so light, these spoons are very snag resistant in structure. The assist technology in Japan is improving rapidly and is getting better and better. I think the days of the old heavy assist hooks (rock magnets!) are something of the past.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #743 on: May 20, 2018, 07:16:12 PM »
Some anglers take the bottom hook off in fear of getting stuck in the bricks. But I find it definitely reduce hookups when the spoon is taken on an upward trajectory.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #744 on: May 25, 2018, 04:49:44 PM »
I found a working bank, with foamy gully in front of it, that looked very promising for fish. Problem was that the potential strike zone was over 100 m out and also very narrow. My dropshot and bucktail jig offerings could not reach this strike zone. And the usual long casting lures were ineffective because by the time you reeled in the slack and got the lure to do its thing you were basically out of the strike zone opportunity!

Thats were the Majorcraft Jigpara Slow (shore slow pitch jigging) spoons becomes an important tactic. They produce super long casts, yet they can be fished really slowly to stay in narrow strike zones for as long as possible. The longer you keep them there, the better the chances of a bite.

The gully I targeted with the zebra glow (40 g) jigpara slow spoon turned out to be absolutely wild with feisty largespot pompanos that pounced on the spoon at every opportunity. They either grabbed the spoon during upward pitches (bottom assist typically resulting in hookup), or during the powerful slow flutters as the spoon sinks.

All fish were tagged and released.

Offline DownUnder

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 71
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #745 on: May 27, 2018, 02:40:54 AM »
Hi Steenie, good stuff
I'm after some advice,
I'm looking at an Amia Zero
9ft [PE #1.5-2.5 (17-35lb) |  Casting 28-90g (1-3oz)] rod for slow jigging/ spoon/ plugging work from the shore, would this be a good option for this fishing? I have a Gosa5000 or a BG3000 reel to pair it with

Much appreciated!


Phil
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:42:16 AM by DownUnder »
Men go fishing all their lives.. not realizing it is not fish they are after

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #746 on: May 27, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
Hi Steenie, good stuff
I'm after some advice,
I'm looking at an Amia Zero
9ft [PE #1.5-2.5 (17-35lb) |  Casting 28-90g (1-3oz)] rod for slow jigging/ spoon/ plugging work from the shore, would this be a good option for this fishing? I have a Gosa5000 or a BG3000 reel to pair it with

Much appreciated!


Phil
Hi there, one thing that I discovered in this game is that the idea of having one rod that can do all lure strategies equally well is flawed. Shore slow really requires a rod that has been specifically designed for this purpose. Correct tip action is critical. The Amia zeros was not designed for shore slow and when one feels the action in the store it become clear that the tip action is completely different. For these 40 g jigpara spoons one also requires a blank where the sweet spot is around that weight. A rod rated up to 90 g is going to struggle to get the most out of 40 g shore slow spoons. A shore slow jigging rod with a 1 - 2 oz rating would be ideal. I use the Majorcraft N-one. It is brilliant for shore slow but it also throw conventional spoons and plugs up to 1.5 oz really well. It is 10.6 ft. We struggle with 9 ft rods here to get adequate distance and height during the retrieve with our local sea conditions.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #747 on: May 27, 2018, 11:14:30 AM »
But as I explained above every rod has its limits. The N-one starts to struggle when you cast 50 g lures. Although rated to 2 oz I would certainly not throw 2 oz plugs with it. So for my 50 g and heavier applications I got myself the 10.2 ft Majorcraft x-ride PLG (30 - 100 g) about 2 weeks ago. It simply loves the heavier spoons and plugs. But tip action is excellent for 7”dropshot and the 50 g and heavier shore slow spoons which was my main consideration. But it struggles with the 40 - 45 g lures. So the N-one cannot replace the X-ride and vice versa!

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #748 on: June 17, 2018, 07:13:11 PM »
So exhilarating to get a good bite on your first cast of a session.

I threw the trusty CID pink glow couta casting no 2 far out into the darkness long before sunrise and this 50 cm FL Greenspot kingfish picked it up straight away. Since it was still dark I placed the fish in a deep rock pool and continued spinning until a bit later before I took this selfie. Fish was tagged and released.

No better way to get woken up properly by the adrenaline rush of a bite in the dark!

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #749 on: June 30, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
My 2018 garrick season is officially open. After a dismal 2017 of throwing my arms off for them, with no success, it was great to meet the gentleman of the sea again. With due respect for the species I tagged and released this fish.

This specimen ate a 1.5 oz Alcocks bucktail jig. I caught the fish on the 10.2 ft Majorcraft X-ride 30 - 100 g plugging rod. What a powerful, and super lightweight, rod this is! Despite its power, the rod tip is perfect to fish the bigger jigging style lures with finesse.

My Shimano Twinpower 5000 reel is also the perfect partner for this beast of a rod.

Please release your garrick guys - it’s the right thing to do!!

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #750 on: July 02, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »
An absolute beaut... Nice one mate.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #751 on: July 02, 2018, 08:20:24 AM »
Nice!! :rck" :rck" :rck" :rck"
Just Fish!!!

Offline garrickhunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: VERULAM, kwazulunatal
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #752 on: July 02, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »
Great Riekert.wish you get more this year.I see the slow jigging is really working for you.What you said about the lure being in the strike zone for a longer period really makes sense.I am definitely going to try this. [Im the guy you met in Umdloti] 

Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #753 on: July 02, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »
Well done Riekert, nice catch

Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #754 on: July 02, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
WRT slow jigging, would you mind giving us an overview of your technique, ie retrieve method.
Thanks, Willie

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #755 on: July 02, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »
Great Riekert.wish you get more this year.I see the slow jigging is really working for you.What you said about the lure being in the strike zone for a longer period really makes sense.I am definitely going to try this. [Im the guy you met in Umdloti]

It was a pleasure meeting you! Yes, slowing things down with the right lure is sometimes very important.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #756 on: July 02, 2018, 05:52:30 PM »
WRT slow jigging, would you mind giving us an overview of your technique, ie retrieve method.
Thanks, Willie

Hi Willie,

Its quite difficult to ezplain the style in words. Check this video out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cd-FYwfUb2U&autoplay=1

This video gives a good overview of the slow pitch jigging style of fishing. The same type of concepts apply with bucktail jigs and soft plastics as well.

The critical requirement which I realised this year is that one needs the right rods for this game.

Offline garrickhunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: VERULAM, kwazulunatal
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #757 on: July 02, 2018, 10:41:40 PM »
check this video on you tube---Jighead TV:Shore Jigging-Beginners guide and general overview[fishing in Dubai and UAE] Hope this helps those interested in slow jigging

Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #758 on: July 03, 2018, 06:39:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply

Offline bowsalekta

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #759 on: July 04, 2018, 06:02:17 PM »
Hi Steenie and everyone here.

Ive just got back from Anerley Beach on the about Coast. I fished my arms off at Stebel Rock and at numerous points along the beach where we're staying. The sards were just behind the backiline and sadly out of my reach while the were getting smashed by birds and fish. Which brings me to my question about how far are the pros casting? Are you all reaching well behind the backline? 

For reference I would guess I'm getting at least 80-90m on a good cast with a chase spoon 45gr. Setup is a shimano sustain 5000, Diawa Excellor 10'6" 30-110gr rod and Gosen 30lb braid with a casting leader. I'm falling well short of the water behind the backline. Is this rod a bit heavy and not loading properly?

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal