0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
The Master showing us how it is done . Some fantastic catches there mate! I'm heading to St Lucia mid December armed with my 9 and 10 foot Berkley Airs, both with Sustain 5000 reels. What would you say would be the "have to includes" in my tackle bag?
Quote from: CRANKMAN on November 18, 2020, 10:29:27 AMThe Master showing us how it is done . Some fantastic catches there mate! I'm heading to St Lucia mid December armed with my 9 and 10 foot Berkley Airs, both with Sustain 5000 reels. What would you say would be the "have to includes" in my tackle bag?Fantastic opportunity and tight lines! The slow pitch jigging jigs (20 - 40 g) are really deadly up there. And I never leave the 3/4 - 1.5 oz jigheads with 5" and 7" jerkshad type soft plastics behind! On some days the 3/4 - 1.5 oz bucktail jigs are preferred by the fish over anything else.
After trying for a long time with my heavier spinning setup without any success I put that rod down and picked up my lighter setup. To see if I can at least get a bite, saving me from yet another blank session. I relatively quickly got a wave garrick on a slow pitch jig, but then things went quiet.Due to the structure I was fishing I decided to put on a 5" Berkeley pearl watermelon jerkshad rigged to a 1 oz weedless jighead setup. I fished the plastic for about an hour without a bump, moving around, trying in various places where the waves were breaking on reefs creating some nice looking white water in the process. I decided to persist a bit longer. I was bouncing the lure slowly along the bottom when it just stuck dead in its track. And then I got pulled flat!The fish peeled about 150 m of line of the reel in absolutely no time. The fight was gruelling. It lasted for close to 40 min. I was taken into reef by the fish. All I could do was to losen my drag and allow the fish to run out again. After taking probably around 100 m the very thin 10 lb braid miraculously came out of the reef! After what felt like an eternity I finally managed to land this 88 cm fork length GT Kingfish! On 10 lb Daiwa J-braid! All thanks to Riaan Coetzee for grabbing the fish and for taking a few quick photos before I tagged and released this amazing fish. It swam of strongly! The memory will stay with me for ever.Tackle used: 10.6 ft Majorcraft N-one (30 - 60 g) shore slow jigging rod, Daiwa BG3000 reel spooled with 10 lb Daiwa J-braid. At the front end I had a 4 m section of 35 lb JDB braid as a braid leader, joined to the 10 lb casting braid with a FG knot. And a 1 m section of 0.69 mm fluorocarbon leader at the front of the braid leader also with FG knot.
Quote from: Steenie on January 09, 2021, 09:56:39 PMAfter trying for a long time with my heavier spinning setup without any success I put that rod down and picked up my lighter setup. To see if I can at least get a bite, saving me from yet another blank session. I relatively quickly got a wave garrick on a slow pitch jig, but then things went quiet.Due to the structure I was fishing I decided to put on a 5" Berkeley pearl watermelon jerkshad rigged to a 1 oz weedless jighead setup. I fished the plastic for about an hour without a bump, moving around, trying in various places where the waves were breaking on reefs creating some nice looking white water in the process. I decided to persist a bit longer. I was bouncing the lure slowly along the bottom when it just stuck dead in its track. And then I got pulled flat!The fish peeled about 150 m of line of the reel in absolutely no time. The fight was gruelling. It lasted for close to 40 min. I was taken into reef by the fish. All I could do was to losen my drag and allow the fish to run out again. After taking probably around 100 m the very thin 10 lb braid miraculously came out of the reef! After what felt like an eternity I finally managed to land this 88 cm fork length GT Kingfish! On 10 lb Daiwa J-braid! All thanks to Riaan Coetzee for grabbing the fish and for taking a few quick photos before I tagged and released this amazing fish. It swam of strongly! The memory will stay with me for ever.Tackle used: 10.6 ft Majorcraft N-one (30 - 60 g) shore slow jigging rod, Daiwa BG3000 reel spooled with 10 lb Daiwa J-braid. At the front end I had a 4 m section of 35 lb JDB braid as a braid leader, joined to the 10 lb casting braid with a FG knot. And a 1 m section of 0.69 mm fluorocarbon leader at the front of the braid leader also with FG knot.Excellent catch Riekert... A fish like this lasts a lifetime in the angler's soul.
Simply magnificent. A great reward for all the work you have put in