Author Topic: Giant Trevally landed at Winkel  (Read 4663 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
Hi all
Saturday the 15th November I was back at Winkel scratching for a live bait,the local guys who wre lucky enough to get there early aready were sorted with bait. All of them were fishing off the beach between Winkel and Hotel rocks,live baits out and waiting for a pull.


Finally I got a live bait and headed to Winkel rock away from the crowd,the water was washing to the south so I put my sinker out directly into the direction the current was coming from. I clipped my live bait and off it went,I battled a bit to get it through the swells but finally it was out. Minutes later I felt a hard pull on my line and instantly I flicked my clutch lever to give free sool,it started taking line like a steam train. Allowing it to eat the bait first I then locked the sool up and set the hooks,GAME ON!!!!


Its first run stripped me of over 200m of my 13,6kg Kingfisher giant abrasion off my Torium 30. Now the decision was which way to take him,I went south with him towards Sharks pool. In minutes I had Bokkie at my side to assist me over the rocks while worked my way to the beach,keeping him out deep allowed my line to clear the rocks. Once I was clear of all the natural obstacles I could put more pressure on hm to get some line back,once again everyone assisted to clear the path of the fish. It was over and under the other lines in the water and it was heading to Hotel rocks,at one point I had spoons and someones sinker and bait suspended from my line. Things got a bit heated at a stage as the guy who cast over my line thought he was on with a fish,my mates took care of that for me after talking no longer helped,just cut his line.


Then the SW started howling out of no where,people running around trying to catch their belongings. Myself and the guys helping never budged,this fish was the only thing we were concerned about and we were going to land it no matter what. This was a skate,no head shakes nothing,all that was left now was how big it was. An hour into the fight and no sightings yet,as it got near the side I heard Bokkie shouting "dit is n vis,n moerse vis". I could not see it due to the way the beach is formed,I gave one last pull and then felt my line go slack. Totally physically and mentally exhausted I dropped to my knees,when I got up I first grabbed Tinka's water to quench my huge thirst.


Sharon took my rod from me and told me to go look at my fish,I could believe my eyes. It was huge,unfortunately it was motionless. It is the catch of my life and one I will never forget.


Huge thanks to all my fellow Winkel anglers,you guys are the best!!




My 40kg GT!!! Yeeeeehaaaaaa!!!















Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
Brilliant catch old Chap . Any Brusser/Cracker coming out at Winkel ?

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:02:54 AM »
Check the 5/0 Kendall round
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:27:15 AM by Fish-Hunter »

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 10:06:55 AM »
Tnx All,not recently Lichia

Offline Harvard 16

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kuala Lumpur, ex KZN
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »
Thanks F-H, I've been waiting for that one, would have loved to have been there just to watch the epic battle, when I'm back in SA I always head to Winkels for a throw, so can picture your description and movements quite well.


Well done on 30lb line, at an hour battle, I can quite understand a game fish (any fish) like a GT being unrevivable. It's unfortunate but we have to accept it happens that way sometimes.

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »
Thanx Harvard,it was an awesome fight,once in a life time. Well I'm hoping not

Offline Fishy

  • The GT we all aspire to..
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 72
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Waikato, New Zealand
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 10:38:14 AM »
FH,


Where is this winkel/Hotel area you refer to?

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
Winkelspruit just south of Amanzimtoti


Offline BJR

  • Ben
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 438
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • When Fishing , SIZE does not matter !!
  • Location: MELMOTH - Zululand, KZN - SA
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
Awesome fish there Fish-Hunter....................bloody nice. Congrats.

Offline WJ

  • Team Blacktip
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 298
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East Londen, Eastern Cape
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
Monster. Well done it (clap)

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »
unbelievable catch!!!
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »
Congrats mate. They're such strong fish. They know how to use their big slab sides as a brake. Sad that the fish didn't make it but it happens.


 (clap)
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Mike

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Alberton
Re: Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »
 :envy  nice fish :cgrts: its a pity it didn't make it to fight another day

Offline Jordz

  • Fishing for men and fish...
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 214
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • I hear the fish calling my name,
  • Location: Ramsgate, Kwa-Zulu Natal
Re: Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
 :cgrts: Well done.
I am unashamed of the one that came down from Heaven, took my place on the cross and died for the forgiveness of my sins, Jesus Christ you rock...

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
 :envy surprised the hook held. One more wave and it was gone. :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Allie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 141
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bluff, Durban
Re: Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
 (clap) Well done.  Two exelent catches in two weeks. Have you tried playing  the lotto :hehe:  Same thing happened to a friend of mine where he could not revive a 36kg kingy after an epic one hour fight.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:36:18 PM by Allie »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal