Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
Did you miss your
activation email
?
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Recent Topics
Forum
Login
Register
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
General Angling Topics
»
Rock and Surf Fishing Reports
»
Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Giant Trevally landed at Winkel (Read 4661 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Fish-Hunter
Senior Member
Posts: 263
Cred: 28
Gender:
Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
«
on:
November 21, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
Hi all
Saturday the 15th November I was back at Winkel scratching for a live bait,the local guys who wre lucky enough to get there early aready were sorted with bait. All of them were fishing off the beach between Winkel and Hotel rocks,live baits out and waiting for a pull.
Finally I got a live bait and headed to Winkel rock away from the crowd,the water was washing to the south so I put my sinker out directly into the direction the current was coming from. I clipped my live bait and off it went,I battled a bit to get it through the swells but finally it was out. Minutes later I felt a hard pull on my line and instantly I flicked my clutch lever to give free sool,it started taking line like a steam train. Allowing it to eat the bait first I then locked the sool up and set the hooks,GAME ON!!!!
Its first run stripped me of over 200m of my 13,6kg Kingfisher giant abrasion off my Torium 30. Now the decision was which way to take him,I went south with him towards Sharks pool. In minutes I had Bokkie at my side to assist me over the rocks while worked my way to the beach,keeping him out deep allowed my line to clear the rocks. Once I was clear of all the natural obstacles I could put more pressure on hm to get some line back,once again everyone assisted to clear the path of the fish. It was over and under the other lines in the water and it was heading to Hotel rocks,at one point I had spoons and someones sinker and bait suspended from my line. Things got a bit heated at a stage as the guy who cast over my line thought he was on with a fish,my mates took care of that for me after talking no longer helped,just cut his line.
Then the SW started howling out of no where,people running around trying to catch their belongings. Myself and the guys helping never budged,this fish was the only thing we were concerned about and we were going to land it no matter what. This was a skate,no head shakes nothing,all that was left now was how big it was. An hour into the fight and no sightings yet,as it got near the side I heard Bokkie shouting "dit is n vis,n moerse vis". I could not see it due to the way the beach is formed,I gave one last pull and then felt my line go slack. Totally physically and mentally exhausted I dropped to my knees,when I got up I first grabbed Tinka's water to quench my huge thirst.
Sharon took my rod from me and told me to go look at my fish,I could believe my eyes. It was huge,unfortunately it was motionless. It is the catch of my life and one I will never forget.
Huge thanks to all my fellow Winkel anglers,you guys are the best!!
My 40kg GT!!! Yeeeeehaaaaaa!!!
Logged
Lichia amia
Retired
Posts: 0
Cred: 0
Gender:
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #1 on:
November 21, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
Brilliant catch old Chap . Any Brusser/Cracker coming out at Winkel ?
Logged
Fish-Hunter
Senior Member
Posts: 263
Cred: 28
Gender:
Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #2 on:
November 21, 2014, 10:02:54 AM »
Check the 5/0 Kendall round
«
Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:27:15 AM by Fish-Hunter
»
Logged
Fish-Hunter
Senior Member
Posts: 263
Cred: 28
Gender:
Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #3 on:
November 21, 2014, 10:06:55 AM »
Tnx All,not recently Lichia
Logged
Harvard 16
Member
Posts: 101
Cred: 12
Gender:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, ex KZN
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #4 on:
November 21, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »
Thanks F-H, I've been waiting for that one, would have loved to have been there just to watch the epic battle, when I'm back in SA I always head to Winkels for a throw, so can picture your description and movements quite well.
Well done on 30lb line, at an hour battle, I can quite understand a game fish (any fish) like a GT being unrevivable. It's unfortunate but we have to accept it happens that way sometimes.
Logged
Fish-Hunter
Senior Member
Posts: 263
Cred: 28
Gender:
Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #5 on:
November 21, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »
Thanx Harvard,it was an awesome fight,once in a life time. Well I'm hoping not
Logged
Fishy
The GT we all aspire to..
Member
Posts: 72
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Waikato, New Zealand
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #6 on:
November 21, 2014, 10:38:14 AM »
FH,
Where is this winkel/Hotel area you refer to?
Logged
Fish-Hunter
Senior Member
Posts: 263
Cred: 28
Gender:
Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #7 on:
November 21, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
Winkelspruit just south of Amanzimtoti
Logged
BJR
Ben
Ultimate member
Posts: 438
Cred: 13
Gender:
When Fishing , SIZE does not matter !!
Location: MELMOTH - Zululand, KZN - SA
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #8 on:
November 21, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
Awesome fish there Fish-Hunter....................bloody nice. Congrats.
Logged
WJ
Team Blacktip
Senior Member
Posts: 298
Cred: 13
Gender:
Location: East Londen, Eastern Cape
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #9 on:
November 21, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
Monster. Well done it
Logged
Marthin
Ultimate member
Posts: 1257
Cred: 45
Gender:
Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #10 on:
November 21, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »
unbelievable catch!!!
Logged
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!
FishStyx
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 3007
Cred: 51
Gender:
I fish, therefore I am.
Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Giant Trevalia landed at Winkel
«
Reply #11 on:
November 21, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »
Congrats mate. They're such strong fish. They know how to use their big slab sides as a brake. Sad that the fish didn't make it but it happens.
Logged
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.
Mike
Member
Posts: 39
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Alberton
Re: Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
«
Reply #12 on:
November 21, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »
nice fish
its a pity it didn't make it to fight another day
Logged
Jordz
Fishing for men and fish...
Senior Member
Posts: 214
Cred: 9
Gender:
I hear the fish calling my name,
Location: Ramsgate, Kwa-Zulu Natal
Re: Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
«
Reply #13 on:
November 24, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
Well done.
Logged
I am unashamed of the one that came down from Heaven, took my place on the cross and died for the forgiveness of my sins, Jesus Christ you rock...
colin
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 752
Cred: 13
Gender:
Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
«
Reply #14 on:
November 24, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
surprised the hook held. One more wave and it was gone.
Logged
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.
Allie
Senior Member
Posts: 141
Cred: 3
Gender:
Location: Bluff, Durban
Re: Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
«
Reply #15 on:
November 24, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
Well done. Two exelent catches in two weeks. Have you tried playing the lotto
Same thing happened to a friend of mine where he could not revive a 36kg kingy after an epic one hour fight.
«
Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:36:18 PM by Allie
»
Logged
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
General Angling Topics
»
Rock and Surf Fishing Reports
»
Giant Trevally landed at Winkel
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal