Author Topic: Rod refurb  (Read 3668 times)

Offline philter

• Phil
  • Cred: 0
  • WishIcould
Rod refurb
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »
Hello everybody
Is there anybody in the Gauteng area that does repairs to rods, I have a Daiwa Exceler 1062 xxx  hfs that I have had for a couple of years now, and have read a lot online about the quality of the guides and reel seat, and as I have a week planned for st lucia in Oct thought that it might be better to have it seen to now rather than have it let me down later. Last time that I needed an eye changed on one of my beach rods I took it to a local tackle outlet and it took them over 3 months to get the section back to me, so I'd rather have somebody else do it now.

Thanks in advance
Philip

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 8
Re: Rod refurb
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
Craig at CDS Angling will sort you out. Google for more details

craig@cds-angling.co.za

Offline philter

• Phil
  • WishIcould
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »
cool
thanks a lot Dewald

:tkx:

Online John F

• Cred: 518
  • Virtus et Honos
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
E.T. on the forum is a master rodbuilder

Koos Eckard Rod Designs http://www.roddesigns.blogspot.com/
UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
Phillip,

One thing to keep in mind is that refurbing a rod is not a cheap excercise. Stripping the existing rod back to the bare blank and redoing with new reel seat, guides and the like will set you back anywhere from R1200 - R2500, depending on the finishes. This is not a auote but just from asking around before redoing my multiplier rods to grinder rods (for the kids to use as well).

There are loads of tutorials on the internet on how to strip a rod, I would suggest starting with that and once it is stripped completely, hand it over to a rod builder - this will save you some bucks in your refurb.

Most rod builders will tell you that they prefer working from a blank and that stripping and building an existing rods is double the work, thus the hefty price tag.

I recently stripped the handle off of and old rod and rebuild the handle (keeping the reel seat in place) and extending the butt. It set me back R300 for the materials just to give an idea..

Offline philter

• Phil
  • WishIcould
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »
Hmmm, lots of food for thought, thanks Dewald, didn't think of it that way but it makes a lot of sense, guess it's a lot like a visit to the tackle shop, you only go in for a couple of lures and end up broke for the month.

Guess it's back to the internet

Thanks for the info Dewald

Thanks to John F aswell

Offline Dewald Posthumus

• Ultimate member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »
Sure thing,

I would suggest to still contact Craig for material pricing, he will give you a lot of guidance on guides, real seats etc. I also own the same rod as you have, however, mine is the 10 ft version. My brother has the Aerocast, and in all honesty, I prefer the Daiwa blank over the Shimano blank (purely for the wider castability), but the finishes are not in the same league.

If you want a DIY project, just the materials will set you back in the region of R1000 (R600 for K-series casting guides or Low riders, R220 for FlexCoat epoxy, R80 for a reel seat, R120 per meter for heat shrink grips etc.) Stripping a R1000 rod, and putting another R1000 into it, it becomes a very expensive blank...

Offline pieta

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 21
  • Fishing for the fun of it
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »
You can do it your self if you have the right equipment. I prefer to do all my grips with cork. Nice and cheap.  You can buy a sheet of cork from midas for aboute R50 and this will be enough to to 8 or more rods depending on how thick and long you do your grips. The glue will set you back about R45. I use pratley's clearset to glue the cork and reel seat. Binding thread is between R14 and R35 depending on the colour and if it's a 50 yard or 100 yard spool. The most expensive stuff is the flex coate but you can get that from Craig in smaller amount. A 200ml kit will do about 12 to 15 rods depending on how much names and stickers you want to cover. If the guides is not broken just clean them and re use.  If the reel sest is still working fine keap it. Then you will need a lauft to sand the grips on high speed and to do the flex coate on very low speed not more than 100rpm. To strip the clear coat from the blank you can use deura strip. Can get it from midas. Flex coate takes aboute 4 hours to get touch dry and another 6 to 10 hour to cure properly depending on weather and temperature.  The warmer the better the finish.

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 09:53:02 PM »
Re the costs of a decent rebuild, either by yourself or a rod builder: often the difference in price between a high end and low end factory rod lies in the components.
Same blank with top drawer vs bottom drawer guides

Offline Chuck

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 06:13:26 AM »
There is an old Oom in Standerton, Mpumalanga (bout 150km from Jhb). He is doing a great job and he quoted my dad +- R400 to redo a old rod (real seat, grips, eyes, etc). His nr is 083 4714 797 (Thys Koen). Maybe you should also talk to him for some advice.

Offline pieta

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 21
  • Fishing for the fun of it
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
Was that for labour or including the spares? If you look at a fuji real seat they start at about R95 for the20mm upto R140 for the bigger ones. Set of guides can run from R200 to over R1000 depending what you want to use.

Offline fishatic

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 13
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »
Can not have been top drawer guides for that price; even then price seems too low.
Old stock of components perhaps?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »
It was for the rod and spares. He changed a guide on one of our rods for R15 (we supplied the guide). You cant see the difference. But he probably wont use the top products??