Author Topic: Offshore Popping  (Read 4685 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Flyguy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Offshore Popping
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »
I’d like your opinion on an offshore popping setup please.

It seems that an 8ft rod that can throw a 180g popper or stick bait is sufficient for Mozambique? Would you recommend the Poseidon (blue handle) or the SpeedMaster Kaibutsu?

What size reel does one pair this with? Will something like an 8000 Saragossa or Sustain be sufficient? With 80lb braid?

Thanks guys

Offline Action Man

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 432
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Offshore Popping
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:09:54 AM »
The speedmaster Kaibutsu is an awesome rod, we use them on our boats here in the seychelles and they handle the big fish very well. Reel wise I would look at something a little bigger than an 8000. Smallest opion I would take is the sustain 10000 but ideally if you putting 80lb braid I would look at the Saragosa 14000. Cant go wrong with a set up like that.


A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!

Offline peterblace

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1151
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mozambique - Maputo
Re: Offshore Popping
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:21:49 PM »
howzit Sean

although I had no strikes I've just tried during this Inhaca trip a Shimano Kaibutsu GT extreme 8'2ft that I recently bought paired with a Stella10k (80lb braid)
I loved the smoothness on the casts and the distance you are able to achieve...and most of all although it seems too heavy at the end of the day you don't feel it that much
I'll insist further while drifting at the new marks we found fish on Sunday as that can be promissing...looking forward to have a fish on

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:22:04 PM by peterblace »

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Offshore Popping
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
I'd go with the Poseidon of those two choices and a 10k Sustain the Saragosa's are nice but the retrieve rate is on the slow side which can be a pain when fishing stick baits and poppers line wise I would go with 80lb you'll be fine in most situations but don't put cheap rubbish on Tuffline, Power Pro or Jerry Brown hollow would be good choices if can get the Power Pro hollow that'll also work most of the yankee braids break higher than there given ratings.

Offline Flyguy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Offshore Popping
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Pedro – I hope you get one your Kaibutsu soon – :fshn:

Offline Flyguy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Offshore Popping
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
I am thinking of staying on the lighter side of spinning and popping and have decided to rig these setups - all advice will be welcome:

Light spinning / popping
Shimano BeastMaster -  Shimano Sustain 4000 – 30lb braid
Small chisel nose / pencil poppers / spoons / dropshot
Small kings 1-5 kg / pompano / dorado/ queenfish / dorries
Yazuri rig

Medium spinning / popping
Shimano Travala MH 7ft – Shimano Sustain 6000 – 50lb braid
Medium poppers and spoons
Medium kings 5-15 kg’s / couta  / small YFT / Yellowtail

Heavy spinning / popping
Poseidon 8’ plugging Rod - Sustain 10000 – 80lb braid
Big poppers and stickbaits
Big kings 15+ kg’s / dogtooth / big couta / YF tuna   

Jigging rod
Shimano Travala XXH 6ft – Shimano Saragosa 14000 – 80lb braid

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Offshore Popping
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »
I am thinking of staying on the lighter side of spinning and popping and have decided to rig these setups - all advice will be welcome:

Light spinning / popping
Shimano BeastMaster -  Shimano Sustain 4000 – 30lb braid
Small chisel nose / pencil poppers / spoons / dropshot
Small kings 1-5 kg / pompano / dorado/ queenfish / dorries
Yazuri rig

Medium spinning / popping
Shimano Travala MH 7ft – Shimano Sustain 6000 – 50lb braid
Medium poppers and spoons
Medium kings 5-15 kg’s / couta  / small YFT / Yellowtail

Heavy spinning / popping
Poseidon 8’ plugging Rod - Sustain 10000 – 80lb braid
Big poppers and stickbaits
Big kings 15+ kg’s / dogtooth / big couta / YF tuna   

Jigging rod
Shimano Travala XXH 6ft – Shimano Saragosa 14000 – 80lb braid

Looks good to me there's not much you couldn't tackle with that gear for the jigging out fit I'd go with a 10 saragosa and 60lb line. I use an 8k stella and PE 4 for my rig and catch Amber and GT's on it all the time people tend to go to heavy on jigging gear when they first start out and it's not necessary. Thinner line has less resistance in current preventing bow out and will get you to the bottom faster. also the smaller the reel the less weight you're working with so you can jig faster and longer.

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Offshore Popping
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »
we had a blast catching this size amberjack on 5k reels loaded with 30lb braid one chap even managed one of about 36 kilo's.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal