Author Topic: Yellowtail kings...  (Read 7373 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Yellowtail kings...
« on: February 27, 2014, 05:31:19 AM »
Found this link...


http://www.ziln.co.nz/video/705


Old Roy is getting that deep burn with those nice yellowtails... :resp:


The lucky bugger is currently on the banks again having a workout. :envy


Cant wait to hear what this trip produced.


This time they are also using stick baits for the kings...


I have heard roomers about lots of donkies again

Offline Bwana

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 916
  • Cred: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Deep Blue Addict
  • Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »
Lucky bugger, I've seen some pics of some absolute donkey Yellowtail in the 40+kg category, guys getting seriously bent on the jigs! EINA but LEKKER!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »
The 1st trip last week were amazing with some good fish in the 30 and 40kg class.
2nd trip this week was a bit rough with bad weather but still a couple of fish over 30 and 40kg came out.
Roy is visiting Chris from jigstar this weekend no doubt recovering a bit...
Hope he come and share some photos and video clips when he is back in SA...

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »

Hope he come and share some photos and video clips when he is back in SA...

You're kidding right?
Ever seen a JigStar report on  :ult: ??

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »
International fishing reports?
This is Ocean Active!!!!
 Kidding I enjoy the 3 kings write ups I hope to get there one day.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 06:37:16 AM »
Ok,


So may then I need to go fish for yellow tail on the banks next Feb and come and share... :hnthnt:

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 08:14:16 AM »
 I've looked at it pretty pricey but I'm sure it'll be worth it

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 08:25:49 AM »
Will let you know...


Airfare can be expensive...

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »
Wow , pretty crazy .
nice flat sea too .
3 kings are in NZ ? [size=78%] Ranfurly banks , in NZ  ?. [/size]




[/size]Esh , get your Voltaren shots ready .[size=78%]
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 02:54:35 AM »
Yes Lenny.


Its in NZ

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »
Do you know if those fish are seasonal ?  or any specific time they get the really big fish ?

Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 04:40:08 PM »
Do you know if those fish are seasonal ?  or any specific time they get the really big fish ?


Lenny,


I am busy with research on the yellow tail down on the NZ banks and will give some info as I proceed.


At this stage it looks like a summer visitor with February as the best month for the big fish but I could be wrong...

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »
Do you know if those fish are seasonal ?  or any specific time they get the really big fish ?


Lenny,


I am busy with research on the yellow tail down on the NZ banks and will give some info as I proceed.


At this stage it looks like a summer visitor with February as the best month for the big fish but I could be wrong...
also read and heard feb.
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »
Hey Guys - trust you are all well! Apologies for not posting until now, but only been back in SA for 30 something hours. Linda is busy downloading all the pics (16GB) from the camera and I will post pics and trip report in the next few days. Iif Admin will allow it, here is the FB links to Lance's synopsis of the trips on our FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/JigstarAfrica

Tally ended up at 9 x 40kg+ and 31 x over 30kg. Mid to late 20's were in excess of 400 fish...... all released for next year.

Apart from being some of the HARDEST FIGHTING creatures with fins..... they are also some of the most beautiful!

Cheers - chat later.

RB

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »
Oh yes.... and a little Striped Marlin (est. 90kg) boated and tagged for Nick Pearce.  His 1st ever Billie - kudos to Nick!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
Awesome fish Roy!!


Those are some donkeys  :shk :envy :cgrts:


Thanks for sharing  :tkx:

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 11:53:06 AM »
Cam - you guys had Brian and Nick Pearce fishing with OA in November 2011 (Nick got that pearler GT of 60-something kg). Last year Brian and Greg (Nick's younger brother) did the Three Kings with us (Nick couldn't make it because of CA Board Exams). I have a funny feeling that they may be back at Pain Central in 11 months time......

Last week, it was super cool to have Brian, Nick and Greg together with Roy Smither (this man is my hero - not because of namesake) - I will tell you the story soon...... he is a man amongst men.

Roy Smither - 20 years older than me and half my weight...... boated a 41kg, 36 and 31 in 3 consecutive drifts....... and these are some of the gnarliest creatures on our planet!

When I grow up, I want to be just like him!

Cheers - RB

 

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »
Wow! Some spectacular fishing! 40kg Tail must be some fight!
Look forward to the report and pics!
 (clap)

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
Yup Tony! These fishy friends don't give up ever! They fight you all the way to the boat. Some of the 20kg+ little rats make big guys cry..... and then when you get them into the 30's it becomes very serious. The 40's are another story all-together...... its not possible to explain it - seriously!

They are the All Blacks of the ocean.......

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Yellowtail kings...
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 04:13:08 PM »
Roy,


Eish mnr you are very bad news... :-(


The piggy bank is gonna get smashed to count my cents ... (bat


This is something that I just need to do in 2015.


Not only the fishing but the complete trip to NZ has always been on the wish list  w;k

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal